Does your family accept your vegetarian/vegan choices? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

My mom gets really really ANGRY about veganism.  She is an Atkins die-hard, and frequently if you go to my parents' house, there is literally only meat in the refrigerator.  I am not to bring any soy products etc into the house.  I convinced her to allow almond milk because it only has 1g of carbs.  She says that vegans starve their children and that veganism and promoting veganism should be outlawed.  Meanwhile, she has what she claims is "genetic high cholesterol" (hm...I don't have this), and my dad has heart disease and a stent - the man only eats processed meat, not even regular, unprocessed meats - he keeps salami in the car.  Yet of course, Atkins is healthier than being a vegetarian, and a vegetable is not a vegetable unless it is drowned in butter.  No olive oil on their table, butter only.  It's sad, I just try to starve when I am home and/or eat a clif bar, and play with my food.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM

This most be hard I am glad that my mom eats vegan and my dad at times. It is my husband that eat crap all meat and I wish that I did not have to have it in my house.

#63 Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

That is a loaded question.
My family definitely sees how much it has helped me health-wise. Somehow, going vegetarian all but cured my chronic migraines, so my parents are happy to see that painkillers are no longer a major food group for me. However, my family does have their moments where they will try to pressure me to eat meat just so we can order a certain item or go to a certain restaurant when we're together. The last time we went on vacation, they wanted to go to a Brazilian Steakhouse (which my brother wouldn't have eaten at either because he doesn't like that type of food) and the pressure to try it was mostly put on me. They would say things like "well, you can go off your little diet for just one night, right?". We ended up not going, but I have a feeling that the night would have ended in arguments if we had.
Thanksgiving and Christmas are also very awkward. I was picky eater as a kid and would barely fill my plate. I STILL barely fill my plate, but now there is a reason behind it. Before, no one bothered me about it but in recent years it's become a big deal.
Though it gets irritating at times, I am thankful that my family has never done anything like try to sneak meat in my food as the parents of other vegetarians have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM

My mom is the most supportive out of all my family. She was concerned at first but I showed her some of my cook books and she got really excited. My dad likes to make 'jokes' like, 'so you eat chicken right? Chickens not meat!'. He changes the meat to whichever he is serving for dinner. He did seem to really enjoy the black bean burger I made him though. Until he said he had gas for three days straight. My brothers seem to be on the fence about it. They are pretty laid back so I don't think they really think about it much. Although my one brother and his fiance stopped drinking dairy milk and started drinking soy milk on account of them seeing me in tears after watching earthlings. So, all in all my family isn't too bad.

Its my friends who have really shown a lack of support. They won't even let me talk about it. When I do they make terrible jokes about killing animals, they try to 'educate' me on free range farms, but when I retort its me being preachy. I really feel like they are shutting out a huge part of who I am. I feel like I can't be myself or excited about this new me. So, I decided I needed a break and have distanced myself quite a bit. Man it feels so good to vent. Sometimes I could scream when I think about it.

#65 Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

About 70% of my family and family-in-law and my friends are vegetarian.

Yes, they accept my vegetarian lifestyle. The other 30% too.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#66 Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 AM

My mom and sister are actually the ones who inspired me to become vegetarian.  They've been vegetarian for 11 months now, and I've only been 8 months vegetarian.  So, yes, my family supports me.

#67 Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom seems more supportive than my dad, a few of my uncles seem to get but most think I'm being stupid. The few friends that I told don't seem to mind at all. The worst people tend to be the ones that I work out along side.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#68 Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Mum and Dad are always on and off vegan/vegetarian haha, and they are very supportive of me. Mums a godsend for me with vegan info and recipes. My boyfriend while not willing to change his eating habits (and I haven't tried to educate him at all..... yet), is very supportive. He stands up for me if his friends start trying to cause trouble, has never given me any crap about health or anything, and always wants to try my food. he sometimes jokingly makes fun of me, for example, for not drinking milk. I just feed it back by making fun of him for drinking breast milk still.

One of my brothers makes a lot stupid jokes "eat a steak" and what not, but he and his girlfriend are both supportive and even stock up on vegan milks and meats when I come to visit :)

My other family? Not really any opinions. Some probably think it's stupid and talk about it but whatever, they don't cause any trouble. I've been really lucky so far haha

#69 Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsandOranges View Post

Its my friends who have really shown a lack of support. They won't even let me talk about it. When I do they make terrible jokes about killing animals, they try to 'educate' me on free range farms, but when I retort its me being preachy. I really feel like they are shutting out a huge part of who I am. I feel like I can't be myself or excited about this new me. So, I decided I needed a break and have distanced myself quite a bit. Man it feels so good to vent. Sometimes I could scream when I think about it.

I really hate it when people tell me all their opinions on killing animals or say that meat and dairy are from nice farms because they just wouldn't allow them to do cruel things to the animals behind the scenes in this country yet when I explain to them what happens in slaughterhouses or my opinions on killing animals, all of the sudden I'm the one pushing my beliefs on them! What the heck? Do you not remember how this conversation got started? I only say something about this if someone else brings it up to me and if you're going to start talking to someone about something, you should expect them to respond to it back! Especially if they believe the opposite. What is the point of having a conversation with me if you don't want to listen to me anyway?

Maybe they'll realize there is nothing wrong with being veg someday. I don't blame you for distancing yourself from them. I would have done the same!

Anyway, my mom would support me no matter what. She has never tried to make me stop going veg or tried to trick me into eating meat or anything I don't want to. She makes comments about it sometimes but not in a mean way, more like she thinks I'm silly for what I'm doing. For some reason, she also likes to hint sometimes that because I don't eat completely healthy, then I'm not any healthier than she is. I don't know why. I've never said I was healthier or even that I was going veg for health reasons. I eat more in the middle between healthy and unhealthy actually.

My dad used to makes jokes about it but he hasn't done that in a while. I think he might have seen that it bothers me and stopped. He's never tried to stop me or trick me either but I don't know that I'd call him supportive of it. He's not against it though. He's neutral, I guess.

My sister also doesn't mind either way. She saw some video on it once and it seemed to bother her at first, but she just went back to meat and dairy again the day after. *shrugs* 

My boyfriend is very supportive. At first he didn't seem to like it much though he would never have tried to make me stop. I think he just thought that I was going to push him to change his diet too because now he is very supportive of it and he even helps me find new vegan recipes! He also tries vegan foods sometimes. =]  

#70 Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It took a bit for my family to support me. My mom grew up on a dairy farm and my dad and brother were always meat and potatoes guys. But once they saw that I was not starving or in a protein deficient coma, they grew more and more supportive. My brother even went vegetarian a few years ago. Now my family always goes out of their way to make sure I have something to eat. Can't say it made any kind of difference in my parents' eating habits at all, but at least they're supportive. 

#71 Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

For my eating choices, yes. For other non-eating choices I make, not so much. For example, they roll their eyes at my instance to capture and release bugs outside except in the case of winter where they get put down the basement. Another example is the other day they were speechless when, out gardening, I refused to use the rake to move some stone when I saw there were many worms among them. I insisted on moving the stones individually to protect and rehome the worms living there.
#72 Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM

That's actually my only issue. It was easy being vegan when my biological mother was around, but now I don't really have anyone to share vegan things with. I always feel left out of the family dinners too. No one ever really cooks vegan dishes and I always end up making dinner for myself, and it never feels like I'm eating with the family. For me eating is about sharing with the family and hanging out.

All though me and my biological mother had a strained relationship. I hate her with every fiber of my bones. And I never agreed with her doctorine. 

And I end up getting comments like from my father.

"Your vegan ****"

And my grandmother gives me weird looks whenever I am making my vegan dinners. They call it weird. My grandmother calls it "crap", calls it "****". It makes it so hard to be vegan. If I was in a more vegetarian or vegan environment then I think it be easier for me to be vegan. I was living with these roommates that were "hipsters" who smoked weed, but they shopped at Whole Foods. Cooked organic food. And had alternative based milks, etc. 

I wish that I could connect to food better, but I can't. Though my roommate is a vegan vegetarian. Though he doesn't prefer the label of either. But even he's drowned out by not only the non vegan support. But from the fact that where I live, Colorado isn't a vegan state. There are rarely any vegan options here. 

#73 Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM

They support and inspire me from my childhood. They still care about me very much. I am grateful.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#74 Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 AM

Overall my family accepts my choice to be a vegetarian. But my mom was very upset that I stopped eating meat at the beginning, because she had to cook different food just for me. It's been 6 years and now she's used to it and has learned a lot about healthier food choices for me. When I visit her, she cooks healthy vegetarian food for me. My father is also the type that equates meat-eating with manliness. He dislikes how I don't eat meat, and isn't very considerate of my choice because when I visit him he only really thinks about himself having enough to eat. He talks about being a meat-eating seemingly just to annoy me. People in my family have asked why I don't eat meat, and I've explained myself multiple times. 

Sometimes it bothers me that I'm the only vegetarian in my whole family, but I know what I'm doing is the right thing for me.

#75 Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

My family isn't too bad, but they don't really bring it up a lot. Mostly, they just see it as another weird aspect of my 'crazy liberalism'. My mum, who's a chef, is pretty intruiged by the things I make though, and I've given her tofu and seitan to taste it and she liked both! She actually said that the seitan I made tasted just like her favourite hot dogs, so I don't think it would be too hard to make her eat my stuff instead of the meat stuff. Unfortunately, she says she needs to cook for the rest of the family and that she'd rather eat that... brood.gif

My dad doesn't really care that much. He thinks it's cool that I'm 'so creative in the kitchen' (a.k.a throwing whatever we have that is veggie in a pan and calling it dinner), but we have had some rather heated discussions because he simply doesn't understand what veganism is. He once said to me that if I was invited to a party where there was only meat, I should eat the meat to be polite to the host. When I said I would never do such a thing, he got mad at me and called me ungrateful and mean. So yeah... But for the most part, he doesn't mind.

My brothers just simply do not care at all what I do and for that, I love them.

#76 Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Well, sort of. My mom doesn't eat that much meat anyway, so she's good about it, and likes helping me try new recipes and stuff. I guess she thinks it's interesting. I don't think my dad even knows, haha. But he was always harassing me about eating healthier as a kid, so I think he would support it. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks it's stupid and that I'll die of malnutrition (to be fair, I've been there before, I used to be really underweight and all that stuff so maybe he's just worried.) or something. We do have one other vegetarian in my family, so luckily I'll always have things to eat at those kind of events!
#77 Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM

My family accepts it... of course, I am grown woman, they kind of have to.  But they won't try it.  If I make something, I don't tell them I used Earth Balance or Soy Milk, haha, it's kind of funny.  

I get lots of "you better eat good, dont you go making yourself sick!  your hair is going to fall out! are you getting enough iron!?"

but It's getting fewer and fewer .... lol

#78 Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM

I don't really have contact with my family. My partner is amazing about it as he is still eating meat. His view on it is that i can do what i want with eating as long as i cook him his. He is unable to cook due to disabilities and he doesn't see danger so isn't allowed in the kitchen. Alot of our friends are veggie which makes it easier. When i tried before the friends i had then were a nightmare and ultimately it was because of the pressure from them that i started eating meat again needless to say i am no longer friends with those people
#79 Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 PM

No, they do not. They always tell me to just pick things out and constantly asking when I'm going to eat meat again. It's really frustrating, but I'm not home much anyway so I guess it shouldn't bother me as much. 

#80 Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 PM

My parents are understanding and caring. My Dad for a while did not understand what vegan meant, he kept thinking I was a vegetarian, but he gets it now. My parents took me out to dinner a few nights ago for my birthday, and they had all sorts of questions. They really wanted to know all about my vegan diet and lifestyle, and they wanted to know what my meals each day usually consist of. They told me that I look healthier, that my skin is lovely, and they wanted to know if I feel better too, (to which I responded "yes!"). My Mother even decided that she wants to go to the organic co-op with me. She wants me to show her around the store, and she wants to try some vegan alternative foods, (mayo, mock meat, etc.). My Mom has tried just about every fad diet out there, the only thing that has worked for her is calorie counting. She looks great now, but I don't think she feels healthy, so she is looking to switch her diet up a bit. More organic fruits and veggies, less meat and dairy. I am happy for her. :)

My husband is supportive, he had vegan tacos with me for dinner tonight. He still eats meat but he has reduced how much of it he eats. He wasn't raised eating any dairy products, so milk, cheese, and butter have never really been part of his diet. He has eggs and honey rarely. My siblings all know I'm vegan and they are cool with it. One of my sisters used to be a vegetarian, she eats meat now, (ever since she got married), but her diet is still primarily veggies and fruit. Outside of my immediate family and good friends, no one else knows yet that I am vegan. I'm not worried about it though. If they disapprove they won't say much.

#81 Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM

My family is very against me being vegetarian.  My extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) are even more against it so much that they make fun of me and insult me for it.  I have stopped talking to some of them because of it.  It sucks.  I used to have a great relationship with my aunt but not anymore... she is incredibly mean to me simply because I won't eat meat.  She also tells me I have "double standards" because I bought leather shoes a while ago and I still wear them (I'm not wasting them and throwing them out... I do avoid buying leather things but I'm not going to waste things that I've purchased in the past).

Even if they don't turn veg, I wish they would at least respect my decisions.

#82 Old 02-22-2014, 03:44 PM

My family hates my lifestyle. They mock me for it. Sometimes they will have large gatherings and intentionally add animal products to all of the items served there, even fruits and veggies, just to piss me off. My family has never really liked me to begin with. 

#83 Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyKy View Post

My family hates my lifestyle. They mock me for it. Sometimes they will have large gatherings and intentionally add animal products to all of the items served there, even fruits and veggies, just to piss me off. My family has never really liked me to begin with. 

That's awful KyKy!  I'm sorry you have had to endure such immaturity.  If I were in your situation I would bring my own food or not attend.  I bring all my own food to my inlaws who live out of town for when we spend a weekend there.  They used to be pretty bad about my veganism but eventually came around to accept it.  Now my husband's mother even makes an effort to set aside boiled potatoes for me before she mashes the rest of them in milk and butter, or she will make a garden salad for me without dressing or so on.  We just stay away from discussing the ethical stuff to keep the peace because we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things.  I think she is getting more worried though because I am influencing her son towards veganism more and more lol.  He is even drinking soy and almond milk in place of dairy from time to time, and he has argued against his parents regarding some ethical animal issues.  There is justice in the world after all lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#84 Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyKy View Post

:sick: I wish I could adopt you, just so you could attend a family gathering where people weren't such jerks to you. My friendly advice, don't go to these gatherings. If anyone asks, just say, "You have no respect for me or my values, so I'm not going to be there."

My family has been good, so far. They've accepted my vegetarianism, now, to get them to understand no dairy and no eggs and I'll be in great shape. :idea: 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#85 Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Not everyone in my family knows, but the ones that do, accept it. I was called "crazy" during about the first week by the people I live with, but as soon as they saw I wasn't feeling sick due to vegetarianism, they came around to accept it pretty well. I have a feeling they still think it's just a phase, though.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#86 Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Veg & two wheels

Fortunately my parents are very supportive. My mam is borderline vegetarian and will eat what I eat. My dad still loves meat ( sad.gif ) ,but will think of & cook dishes for me grin.gif
#87 Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Beginner

I really struggle with this. My family is definitely not supportive of my veganism and a lot of that has to do with heavy psychological issues. My family is very manipulative and controlling and food has always been one area where my parents have tried to control me. My father also associates meat eating with manliness (he's got a lot of masculinity issues...) and he is emotionally abusive so he has no problem teasing me about eating vegan. My brother has taken a similar route with his junior high behavior. Both of them are extremely unhealthy (obesity, high cholesterol, and my dad has a host of health issues, including an autoimmune disease called Mysthenia Gravis which left him in the hospital on a breathing machine for a month) and both of them pretty much get little joy out of life other than eating (pretty pathetic, I know...)

My family is also very patriarchal, so my mom pretty much follows my dad's lead. I am the "problem child" when it comes to food (even though I am in my 40's, so hardly a child!) I hate eating out with them because there is this complete anxiety in my dad and brother when they have to eat out with me. My brother especially is so obsessed with food that he plans from the morning where he wants to go for lunch and gets anxious when he thinks we can't go there because I won't find something to eat there.

Once we're in the restaurant, everyone is focused on me. I have told them time and again that I can take care of myself and they should worry about their own meal but it doesn't help. They start to make "suggestions" about what I can eat. Then, when the food comes, everyone has their nose into my dish because I'm not eating meat.

Luckily, I rarely see them, as my brother lives in a different state and my parents live abroad. But I am sick of being the problem child with food. It's almost like they are ganging up on me because I dared to declare my eating preferences to be different from the families and I am not following the protocol.

Djuna

#88 Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 PM

My dad doesn't eat meat very often and both him and my mom are pretty supportive of me. They aren't those puzzling omnivores that are like "BuT tHe PrOtEiN!"

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -Gandhi
#89 Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My family has never questioned my choice. People are always considerate enough to run their menus past me (in case of any hidden ingredients) when I'm invited over for dinner/staying with relatives. They also always make sure I have enough food if they are making meat for the others. They don't want me to be left picking through their side dishes.

#90 Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was twelve when I told my parents I was going vegetarian and the only thing they really had to say about it was "make sure to take your vitamin." They don't eat much meat anyway, and after I went vegetarian they actually started using certain meat subs (like veggie crumbles) full time, even after I left for college. So I had a lot of support at home. 

Family events are little different. No one is really mean, but some of their comments are so... odd. I regularly hear my grandma on one side introduce me to people as "This is my granddaughter. She's a "vee-gahn," She doesn't eat butter." Umm.... Ok? First, I'm vegetarian, not vegan, and second, of all things to point out that vegans don't eat... butter? My grandmother on the other side is still convinced I'm just going through a phase, ten years later. Oh well, at least they still love me. :love:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page