#31 Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Nobody supports/accepts my vegetarianism in my family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Peacefulveglady, that's a great attitude. It sounds as if you've been doing a great deal of thinking lately, and your husband as well. Yay veggies!

Yep i have and I am feeling better just doing what is me, I am glad I can be me now and not live what other people say I need to live by.
#33 Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 PM

No one says anything about it or complains but I don't think they'd ever cut out meat, too.

Nothing suffocates you more than the passing of everyday human events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I guess I'm very lucky. My family has always been perfectly supportive and accepting.

Same here. They also get all excited whenever they see veg*n stuff at the store or as options at restaurants and always have to call me up if I"m not with them to tell me about it .
#35 Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM

My mum doesn't really care, or get it, but she thinks it's gonna be 'expensive' buying my food.
#36 Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

My family that I still see and my husband's family are very supportive of my veganism. They always give a lot of thought to gifts and how to prepare holiday meals for me.

you are very very lucky. I have yet to tell my boyfriends family and i know its not going to go over well. My grandmother keeps screaming at me to eat chicken or steak. YUCK!
#37 Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaOi805 View Post

My mum doesn't really care, or get it, but she thinks it's gonna be 'expensive' buying my food.

its actually cheaper. Plus you can even grow your own things at home like ur favorite but easiest things to grow. I live in an apartment and Herbs and tomatoes, and onions out of my kitchen and some other things too. Also there are amazing things you can do with fruit. just inform her of the price difference and maybe she will feel a little bit better. what can it hurt.
#38 Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 AM
Oryzatarian

It 'can' be cheaper, veggie junk food is expensive- dry grains, dry beans, potatoes, etc is quite cheap. The trick is cooking ;-)
I think me cooking is what keeps my mom from not not-accepting me being a strict vegetarian, she never learned to cook and has herself convinced its difficult. When I went veg I started cooking everything I eat from scratch (and growing most my beverages) because I dont even go for processed vegan food, well when I started that I realized I could double the quantity of food while adding just a few minutes to the cook time so I cook her 7 meals per week so she at least eats something not from a microwaved box. She appreciates that even if my food is a bit 'strange'.

My sister refuses to eat my food and gives me dirty looks if I dont eat hers tho, lol. But I only see her once a month.
#39 Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJaid View Post

you are very very lucky. I have yet to tell my boyfriends family and i know its not going to go over well. My grandmother keeps screaming at me to eat chicken or steak. YUCK!

I am lucky, I should appreciate them more.
#40 Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJaid View Post

its actually cheaper. Plus you can even grow your own things at home like ur favorite but easiest things to grow. I live in an apartment and Herbs and tomatoes, and onions out of my kitchen and some other things too. Also there are amazing things you can do with fruit. just inform her of the price difference and maybe she will feel a little bit better. what can it hurt.

I went shopping for a bunch of food and supplies a few days ago. Realized the prices aren't much different.
I was thinking of possibly growing some of my own stuff once I move out.
#41 Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Since going vegan, my dad has also embraced veganism, my grandmother is almost 100% vegan with the exception of goat cheese and meat, etc. others serve her, and my mother and my aunt have both shifted their diets immensely in that direction.

My aunt and my grandmother made those changes after my grandmother was diagnosed with kidney cancer. They know that a plant-based diet can help with preventing/healing cancer. I had a small, minor part in their change, but they did a lot of that research themselves.

My parents changed largely because of me. People will tell you that being aggressive with your arguments doesn't work, but that's not what I've found from my own experience. I don't sugar coat, I tell it like it is, and I annoy/anger people. I don't throw out insults or anything like that, but I don't shy away from telling them that their actions cause horrific suffering, all that. And that's what, for me at least, works, and what I believe delivers more results than being polite and asking people to be "kind to the animals". Don't ask them to be kind (sounds like we're asking for charity for the animals); ask them to stop hurting them. That's what this is about. And that's what's worked and gotten real results in my experience.

People aren't going to give up their favorite foods just because you've given them yummy vegan food and you look healthy and happy. They'll change if you challenge them and force them to think about what the consequences of their actions are.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#42 Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

NO problems here, I was nearly 20yrs meatfree when I met him and despite his omni ways, we got a good thing going. As for my kids, mom has always been this way so its a nonstarter for them.
#43 Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Two years ago i went vetarigan for almost 6 months and just now picked it back up. Last time i told my parents and when i went home for spring break i didnt want to be a pain so i ate like 3 bites at dinner. I had a stomach ach every night. Now i started again and told my mom again shes worried about me like any mom would be. Shes worried i wont get what i need and wont be healthy. Then add to it i my blood sauger problems shes worried more. But when i told her i have less problems with it now shes ok with it. My faincee is pretty ok with it so far and we are learning how to cook two differnt ways for two people. His family is supportive they are the ones that suggestied i go it again. Since we live do far from our familys only time will tell how things go when we go see them. We are going this summer in Aug so we will see then.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#44 Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM

When I first went vegetarian 3 years ago, during my senior year of college, my parents considered it a passing phase. They didn't really object, but I don't think they believed I would stick with it. Amusingly, my close friends weren't surprised in the least because apparently when I had met them during our freshmen year, they thought I was a vegetarian already. I guess I just give off that vibe.

About a year into me being veg, my mom decided to do it too. Now a couple years later, both of my parents are VEGAN and I'm still vegetarian. I find that pretty funny that they're now more "advanced" than I am, despite originally thinking it would just be a phase for me. It's actually my dad, who just recently became vegan (something I thought I'd never see) who inspires me even more to try again with veganism. If I could just get myself to cook more, it wouldn't be hard. I barely eat eggs as it is and already use rice milk and vegan butter because I'm lactose intolerant anyway. It's just that darn cheese...

My grandma is the only one who is difficult about it. She was never too bad about me being vegetarian (since she's always been on my back about losing weight and such...ugh...but that's for a whole different forum), but she has done nothing but hassle my mom about being vegan. She's convinced that my mom isn't getting enough protein/calcium/etc. no matter how many times we tell her otherwise. My mom has struggled with her weight for years and since going vegan almost 2 years ago, she's lost 50 pounds. She looks great already and I'm so proud of her. My family has always kind of been on the hippy side, so I guess being vegan fits with us. We're all animal lovers and want to make the environment better. I would also add my fiance is being a little difficult about it too. He's fine with the vegetarianism, but when I said "I'm going to try being vegan again" he kind of sighed and mumbled a disgruntled "ok." With our work schedules, we barely eat together anyway, so I don't see why it should matter. And his sister is a raw vegan!! You'd think he'd be used to it by now...
#45 Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM

My small family supports me, and have even redused eating meat themself. It's rarely cooked any meat at my home anymore, so my family eat vegetarian food at my place. They even have started to ask what they can replace animal products with in cooking.

I think they have a litte more problem with the vegan diett I've started on. It looks like the part of not eating milkproducts is a harder fact to accept, even though they know how ill I can be sometimes if I eat wrong products or treats them wrong when I cook. They talk always about what I can probably eat, but since I just resently started to go vegan, I guess they get used to it.

Even some friends stays veggie when I visist them, and other friends have no problems cooking dinner suiteable for both meateaters and veggies. They make veggiedishes, and have the meat on the side.
#46 Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM

my friends think there is something wrong with me and/or i was goin through a midlife crisis (im 19..). my mom supports almost anything i do and eat considering i cook dinner she doesnt really have a choice. my daddy doesn't know because i dont see him as often but i think he would joke about it with me like he does wth most things but im daddys little girl so he will support me with anything as well
#47 Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM

My Mum is quite supportive and tries to understand even though she doesn't particularly agree with vegetarianism. She always cooks something particularly for me when I visit. My Dad makes some jokes about it but then when other people show intolerance or disrespect he defends me (like 'is fish a vegetable to you?!!), bless him. My sister is pretty indifferent and we don't discuss it whereas my other sister usually brings it up because she doesn't get it at all but cooks vegetarian for me nevertheless when I visit her. My grandparents also make sure there's something for me to eat but they never say anything about it. My boyfriend supports me 100% - he is a wannabe vegetarian who has tried and failed a couple of times. He loves vegetarian food but I think his problem is that his motivation is not quite there yet. We always have vegetarian food when we eat at home but when we're out or visiting his family he sometimes has seafood or meat. I have faith it all will click one day and he will become a committed vegetarian.
#48 Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM

When I first went Vegetarian (same time as my girlfriend) we got loads of hassle from our families about it. All the usual questions, all the usual dire warnings. 14 years later we are vegan and our health is better than ever. I'd say overall our families are pretty supportive of us now, they always comment how well we look when we see them and they can't really argue that our diet is deficient (we are high raw mostly fruitarian now btw!) when our results in terms of health and vitality are so good.
I think when it comes to family, they will be feeling worried and possibly even a bit threatened when you make changes in something as fundamental as your diet. Many of them (but not all!) will be more open to a cruelty free diet when you can show them how much better it is for them too.

Hi-carb, lo-fat, hi-raw Vegan - Look me up on YouTube!

#49 Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Beginner

It could be a coincidence but when I went veg my children stopped coming around, maybe because they were older and had other families to go to? Or just an excuse to avoid me anyway? Either way it sucks!

I was a good Mom, still am when they need me. ???
#50 Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegluv View Post

It could be a coincidence but when I went veg my children stopped coming around, maybe because they were older and had other families to go to? Or just an excuse to avoid me anyway? Either way it sucks!

I'm sorry about that. If you keep in touch with them, they may change their minds one day.
#51 Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Weird. 2 of my 3 kids are perfectly okay with eating whatever I give them when they visit and actually look forward trying most of the new stuff I'm cooking, the youngest always a picky eater anyway likes to complain (nicely) that there is nothing to eat in our house anymore, lol. We make sure to stock up on the pasta and pasta sauce when he shows up and then he's happy.
#52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Sometimes when we first go veg, we talk about it a lot. Sometimes the offspring feel judged by us moms; I was surprised my omni daughter said she sometimes felt guilty eating vegan with us because she doesn't elsewhere.
#53 Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Sometimes when we first go veg, we talk about it a lot. Sometimes the offspring feel judged by us moms; I was surprised my omni daughter said she sometimes felt guilty eating vegan with us because she doesn't elsewhere.

My dad is vegan and that was the problem my grandmother faced. She always thought dad was patronizing her when he tried to talk to her about her health. My mom is very supportive and cooks the best veg meals, so her, me, and my dad are happy, and my sister loves eating meals with us, but when my brother's family come over all hell breaks loose. My mom's kind of a pushover and buys meat for them to eat, even though they still pick on dad and I for our eating habits. It makes me want hit him. She bought you chicken, stfu about our diet! *cough* you also need to lose weight *cough*
#54 Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM

My dad is part of the reason I joined this forum. I have been veggie for 11 years now and working on vegan. My mom and brother are very supportive. My mom loves it when I cook and is always up to trying new places with veggie options.

My dad is supportive to a degree but clueless. He has a ranch in South Dakota where he has raised goats for the past few years, though never done anything with them. I love these goats! They have personality and a playful and affectionate. He told me about a month ago that he was going to start trying to sell them. This past weekend he began telling me that he and his friend really enjoy the goat meat they had recently. He told me that he had made a stew with goat meat that was really good and started telling me the veggies he used. It suddenly clicked that he had been eating goat meat, not really a staple in South Dakota grocery stores. When I asked about it (my mistake), he told me who had slaughtered and then continued to tell me how delicious the stew was. Needless to say, I was very hurt that he was so inconsiderate as to continue talking about how good the stew was.

I'm still mourning the loss of Big Boy and Scarry. They were so wonderful and beautiful creatures. Never hurt any one on purpose, though they occasionally would give me a wallop in the behind if I wasn't paying attention. They will forever be in my heart. :'(

The ironic piece is that he does defend my decision when people ask about my choice to be vegetarian. But he hardly understands it. And this misunderstanding hurt me severely. It's hard to love some one and be so angry with them at the same time.
#55 Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick432 View Post

My dad is supportive to a degree but clueless. He has a ranch in South Dakota where he has raised goats for the past few years, though never done anything with them. I love these goats! They have personality and a playful and affectionate... This past weekend he began telling me that he and his friend really enjoy the goat meat they had recently. He told me that he had made a stew with goat meat that was really good and started telling me the veggies he used. It suddenly clicked that he had been eating goat meat, not really a staple in South Dakota grocery stores. When I asked about it (my mistake), he told me who had slaughtered and then continued to tell me how delicious the stew was...

I'm still mourning the loss of Big Boy and Scarry. They were so wonderful and beautiful creatures.

That's terrible. It doesn't make me feel very positive about the compassion of your dad to kill those animals.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#56 Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick432 View Post

This past weekend he began telling me that he and his friend really enjoy the goat meat they had recently. He told me that he had made a stew with goat meat that was really good and started telling me the veggies he used. It suddenly clicked that he had been eating goat meat, not really a staple in South Dakota grocery stores. When I asked about it (my mistake), he told me who had slaughtered and then continued to tell me how delicious the stew was. Needless to say, I was very hurt that he was so inconsiderate as to continue talking about how good the stew was.

Some people in my family still do that even though I haven't eaten meat in nearly two decades. It's so irritating. Like you said, they're a bit clueless. Whenever they do that, I usually just start asking them questions about my lifestyle, like,
How long do you think I've been a veggie/vegan?
Why do you think I do it?
Do you think I really want to hear descriptions of how tender the meat was that you ate?

Once they hear you say these things out loud, they usually realise how stupid they've been and start apologising. It shouldn't take conversations like for them to remember but sometimes they need to be reminded so they respect your ethics.

m8itcanw8.com
#57 Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

That's terrible. It doesn't make me feel very positive about the compassion of your dad to kill those animals.

I would never say that my dad is a compassionate person. He loves but only in the constructs in which he is familiar. Which is tough for a Vegan social worker
#58 Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Some people in my family still do that even though I haven't eaten meat in nearly two decades. It's so irritating. Like you said, they're a bit clueless. Whenever they do that, I usually just start asking them questions about my lifestyle, like,
How long do you think I've been a veggie/vegan?
Why do you think I do it?
Do you think I really want to hear descriptions of how tender the meat was that you ate?

Once they hear you say these things out loud, they usually realise how stupid they've been and start apologising. It shouldn't take conversations like for them to remember but sometimes they need to be reminded so they respect your ethics.

Thanks! I'm sure it won't be an awakening for him but it may be a neutral way to get him to stop talking. My dad is fairly ridged in his thinking and doesn't change unless it's his idea. I love him but he is tough!
#59 Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM

from personal experiences, my family is supportive and has always been. they crack a joke here and there at family meals when there are many dishes but they still love me for me
#60 Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM

My dad and sister gave me the hardest time about it. When I first became veggie, my dad would try to argue why it was silly to become vegetarian and my sister would do things like eat meat and obnoxiously go, "Mmmmmmm, this is so good" and stuff like that. Both of them have come a long way in being more understanding now. My dad still explains to people that I am vegetarian "because I went to school in Austin and Austin's weird" but other than that he has done some nice things (we've gone out to get Chinese and just got vegetarian dishes). My dad is also good about cooking for me when I visit. My grandparents don't really get it but my dad's mom was nice enough to cook me some vegetarian bean tamales for our Christmas get together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page