Letting it all out.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I don't wanna sound like a complaining...uh...watcha-ma-call it, but I just wanna let it all out and tell you guys what bothers me about my omni parents: (this will mostly be about my mom because I hardly ever see my dad)

1. Mom doesn't clean the dishes very well....must I say more?

2. Parents think I'll get over "the vegetarian thing"

3. Mom cooks her sizzling ground beef beside my veggies.

4. Mom yells at me for getting apple peelings on the dirty dishes.

5. Stuff all over the kitchen counters (no place to cook )

6. Mom talks about me and my "vegetarianism" at inappropiate times.

7. Mom gives me stupid little smirks ALL of the time! like that-->

8. Mom talks about my sister and her problems WAY too much.

9. Doesn't clean to often.....*cough* (my house isn't too bad....just cluttered and dusty)

10.Dad calls me stupid for being vegetarian.

I'm stopping here because I have to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry things suck for you. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
#3 Old 02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

15, I know I shouldn't be wishing my life away, but I can't wait till I can move out. Being the odd-ball in the family is hard (my family is the exact opposite from me) lol want a list of why I'm different??? :

1. Only one in my family that is vegetarian.

2. Only one that goes to church.

3. Only one that doesn't cuss (besides my mom)

4. Only one that has blonde hair.

5. Only one that eats healthy.

6. Only one that works out.

7. Only one that has been committed to a sport (and plays a sports at all)

8. Only one that doesn't laugh at stupid jokes making fun off people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Be proud of who you are. I know it's fun to think ahead when you move out and you can do things that you want to do. Until then, just be patient and try to do the best you can. Have you tried talking to your parents and telling them how important veg*ism is to you?
#5 Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Just keep telling yourself "only a few more years till I am off to collage/18" You can do it.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 02-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

NOOOOO are you kidding?!?! My parents would make fun of me while I TRY to explain why its important to me....or at least my dad would, my mom would just debate about it with me until she has to leave or do something.

Lets just say my dad is very very stubborn and ignorant and my mom and I don't get along to well.
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you have VB! Have you checked out the teen forum yet? -- there are a lot of veg*ns who have talked about similar troubles with their parents. (Ha, makes me feel glad to be "old"!)

You'll get great support all over this place.
#8 Old 02-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

ugh, sounds like you're having a rough go of it. i remember having a really hard time with my parents as i got into my "older" teen years. it's sort of hard for everyone because you're technically still a "child" but you're not, really, anymore. you've got your own ideas and wants and needs that are in conflict with your parents'. hang in there.

about the cleaning thing, though...do you think instead of feeling mad about the dirty dishes or the dust, you could just chip in a bit more and do whatever it takes to get it to a level you prefer? i mean...you live in the house, too. if it bothers you a lot, it might just be easier to pick up the slack you feel your mom is leaving.
#9 Old 02-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom doesn't understand why I'm vegan either. She gets annoyed about it, but I don't care. Before I was vegan, but my sister was veggie, my mom told me about how she (my mom) would cook soup or something and then just pick the meat out of my sister's bowl (without telling her). Now that I'm vegan and still remember that, I don't trust her. Then again, I don't trust anyone. I always make my own food, use my own dishes, and clean my dishes separately.

What you _might_ want to try doing is showing your mom PETA's "meet your meat" video. That way she might get SOME idea of why you're vegetarian. She also might not want to watch it, or she might just "laugh" at it and say it's an "isolated incident," but it might be worth a shot. If you haven't seen it, it's very graphic, but you should watch it. I'm going to show it to my mom at some point. You can watch it at www.petatv.com or go to www.meetyourmeat.com -- same thing. If you download the zip file you can watch it full screen instead of the tiny streaming video in the browser.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#10 Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Living with a bunch of omnis isn't easy. I know how you feel--I went through the whole thing from when I was 15 until I got married and moved out at 22. My dad wasn't the most supportive either, especially at first. My husband is an omni. Luckily, he'll usually prepare his own meat if he wants it. I understand about being the only church goer and being the only one without a potty mouth, too. I dealt with the same thing. It wasn't easy.

I agree with Kreeli about the cleaning. Mom probably is busy and can't always get around to cleaning house everyday, so it would probably be a big help to her if you would help out with the housework. Maybe you could get your siblings to help out, too. It might seem overwhelming, but if you pick one room or chore (like dishes/laundry) to work on everyday, it wouldn't be too bad. Or even just a few days a week if you couldn't do it everyday.

Cooking your own meals can be rough when it's hard to get space in the kitchen. I would try to get in the kitchen and make my dinner before Mom or whoever cooks dinner for the rest of your family and then just warm it in the microwave before everyone sits down to the table.
#11 Old 02-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually used to do the dishes all of the time when I was omni, but going veggie isn't the reason why I stopped. My mom would never thank me and if I'd tell her "well your welcome...bla bla" she'd just go the sink is full of dishes. Seriously nothing stays clean or organized in my house... I like rinsing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher and my mom doesn't, then she wonders why there always food on them after washing them....erggggh!! Sorry I'm very picky, and after trying to clean up the house so many times (I mean literally) and not getting a thank you or anything, I got very frustrated!

Oh and I actually am on the run all of the time, I go to school then come home and make lunch then do as much homework as I can then I leave for the fitness center at 6:30 and don't get home until 9. My mom goes to work from about 9-5 and goes to my neighbors (she takes care of him), for about an hour, twice...then she does nothing.
#12 Old 02-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

erm...cleaning always has been and always will be a thankless job. you'd best get used to that!

sorry you're having such a rough go of it. i honestly don't have any suggestions for you because it seems like you've tried everything i could think of already, to no avail. sometimes we just have to stick it out through the hard times keeping our eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel. in any case, you're more than welcome to keep venting here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page