Good News! (Probably Not Going To Ringling Brothers) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

K, so a while back a posted a thread about how my mom wanted to take us to Ringling Brothers. Of course I had a problem with this, so I was asking for help on what to do. Anyway, every time I'd ask her about taking us to a different circus, she'd just say she didn't want to talk about it. This morning I decided I'd give it another shot, then she told me, "To be honest, I don't know if I can afford anything right now." Which is kind of bad, because it means we're doing bad on money, but I'm focusing on the silver lining. I also pointed out that we've been wanting to go to certain theme parks and museums for a long time now, and how we'd all be OK with that. And when she said that was a great idea, I actually remembered seeing something about getting free tickets to these events! (forget where, but she's looking into it). So, it's not 100% positive we won't be going, but the odds are we won't.

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Beginner

Wow, that is good news. It's too bad your mother still wanted to go after you told her how much it bothered you.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#3 Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

Wow, that is good news. It's too bad your mother still wanted to go after you told her how much it bothered you.

Yeah, not to be disrespectful towards my mom, but she kind of lives in a bubble where animal abuse doesn't exist. But I should be thankful that she's now open to my ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people just manage to convince themselves that the animals aren't being abused. This is why so many potential vegetarians will never convert - it's simply hard for them to change their diet because they want to stay in that mindset so badly. "It doesn't happen like this everywhere," "Not all farmers are bad," "Not all circuses torture their animals," etc.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#5 Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Kudos to you VegKid! I am glad your mother was willing to listen to your side of the story. Also, as a young adult I think it is great that you care so much about "the world around you"

Proud Air Force Mom
#6 Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Some people just manage to convince themselves that the animals aren't being abused. This is why so many potential vegetarians will never convert - it's simply hard for them to change their diet because they want to stay in that mindset so badly. "It doesn't happen like this everywhere," "Not all farmers are bad," "Not all circuses torture their animals," etc.

Those are the exact things my family says. *sigh* XP

#8 Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeemedik View Post

Kudos to you VegKid! I am glad your mother was willing to listen to your side of the story. Also, as a young adult I think it is great that you care so much about "the world around you"

Why, thank you!

#9 Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

That's good the last Circus by them I was at was in 94 and that was when the united center in Chicago opened for the first time. So I got to see the United Center when it was fresh and I thought it was neat. We don't go to Circus or the Zoo's because not because of the torture it just that they are little boring too us.
#10 Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

horray!

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#11 Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Yeah, not to be disrespectful towards my mom, but she kind of lives in a bubble where animal abuse doesn't exist. But I should be thankful that she's now open to my ideas.

I am glad this worked out for you. We do not go to circuses with animals either. One year my mother in law wanted to pay to take the entire family to the circus. My kids and I said no thank you because we do not support cruelty. She could not understand that cruelty was allowed to go on surely someone regulated it she thought. It caused this huge war and I was blamed for ruining the family's good time and that I was not allowing my kids to have fun. My kids made their OWN choice to say no. I told them everyone else was welcome to go, I don't think they ever did. It is still my fault I ruined it for the family lol

Have fun with whatever else you do!
#12 Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses View Post

I am glad this worked out for you. We do not go to circuses with animals either. One year my mother in law wanted to pay to take the entire family to the circus. My kids and I said no thank you because we do not support cruelty. She could not understand that cruelty was allowed to go on surely someone regulated it she thought. It caused this huge war and I was blamed for ruining the family's good time and that I was not allowing my kids to have fun. My kids made their OWN choice to say no. I told them everyone else was welcome to go, I don't think they ever did. It is still my fault I ruined it for the family lol

Have fun with whatever else you do!

Wow, that was rude of her! I can actually understand her confusion as to why it's allowed to go on. It confuses me, too. But she was way out of line. BTW, you must have awesome kids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page