Vegetarian dating a hunter - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

#31 Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

If he only eats meat that he gets from hunting, and completely bi-passes factory farming then it´s not bad at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwarrior1983 View Post
If he only eats meat that he gets from hunting, and completely bi-passes factory farming then it?s not bad at all.
stalking and killing someone isn't bad? "Vegan"warrior?
#33 Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post
This podcast is relevant to you... How To Talk To A Hunter:
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Veget..._to_hunter.mp3

Personally, I've never had the extreme anger that some people in the animal movement have towards hunters. I just don't. I've met too many of them who actually care about the environment and animals. I would never ever hunt and I think it's absolutely wrong. And I don't think I could date a hunter. However, I think many hunters are actually closer to veganism than most of the general public. Hunters at least understand where meat comes from and they confront it head-on. Most want to kill without causing suffering. Most hate factory farming. Most love to hike and camp. Most love dogs... I think they just need to learn more about how hunting can be very cruel, about how people don't need to eat animals, about how the environment works better when humans don't interfere so much, about how the tradition of compassion is more natural than the tradition of killing... etc.

I understand what you are saying, but I think you're giving hunters far too much credit for having a heart and lots of generalizations in your comment. Actor Chris Pratt for example, is on record saying that 'he just likes to kill stuff'. https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comme...s8&sh=96ce1115 How many of them out there are just like him. Look at the Pennsylvania pigeon shoots, thousands of birds blown out of the sky and then the bodies are all trashed. Look at the fox hunting that goes on in the UK despite the ban and none of them are going hungry, they just like killing things. (And hunters are closer to veganism than the general public???????)

I once read an interview with Jody Foster (not a hunter admittedly but still one of the 'ordinary folks') and she said, where most people see an injured bird on the sidewalk and just want to help it, she just wants to kick it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-...b_2474383.html

I watched a hunter video once as he 'called in' a coyote and the grin on his face when that animal was running and dying told the whole story of his heart as did that infamous video of the hunters who shot the grizzly on the far ridge and their shouts of glee and joy as that poor animal rolled down the slope, leaving it's trail of blood all the way down was absolutely disgusting. And by the way, for the ones who haven't yet hardened to the sight of animals in their death throes, the video is graphic and incredibly sad to watch.

Sure there might have been a deer (food, blech!) hanging in the garage that day, but the attitude is the same with all hunters and I don't buy the BS that 'they love animals'. People who love something don't blast the life out of them. They nurture and care and mourn and grieve when they're hurt or die. That's love.

Personally, to you azeria, I think that long term, one of two things may happen. You will rationalize your own feelings away and eventually accept it and quite possibly go back to meat eating (and feel continually guilty) or you will over time become so hurt and angry (if he continues hunting despite knowing how it hurts you) that your relationship will be ruined anyway. (ps I had my doubts when I read your first comments, that it was going to work and your last one here confirmed my suspicions. Anyone who cries at the thought of their SO hunting helpless little Bambi is not in a relationship that lasts)
Jabba likes this.

Last edited by 121938; 02-22-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwarrior1983 View Post
If he only eats meat that he gets from hunting, and completely bi-passes factory farming then it´s not bad at all.
But you know he isn't bypassing the factory farm misery because he's buying milk at the market, he's picking up hamburger for his barbecues, eating at restaurants, buying baked goods that have their own misery attached.

Granted, a single clean shot in the midst of a day is better than months of misery on a farm and in a slaughterhouse, but how many are actually a single clean shot and how many animals have to be tracked before they finally die?
#35 Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 PM

Seems to me, true believer and atheist are more compatible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page