I need to make vegetarian friends... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

As much as I love my best friend and all my other friends, I feel they aren't open minded to vegetarianism.

There are PLENTY of vegan/vegetarian restaurants that are like 5 stars and had solid Yelp reviews, yet I can seem to convince them to try it. It's frustrating when me and my bff go get take out and go to a vegetarian place and despite the fact that spot has amazing reviews, she grabs her take out from another restaurant and brings the food to my spot.

This has happened several times. I understand that she probably had a craving for Italian food or something with meat, but for god's sake can you go a meal without meat in it? I go to the restaurants she suggests ALL THE TIME and just find vegetarian options...however, if the restaurant is strictly for vegetarians, she won't try it!

It's starting to really frustrate me.

I feel like I need to friend more vegetarian friends or friends who are just open minded to this type of cuisine because I feel like I'm totally alone on this.

Sorry, I just had to vent. That friend sent me this article to convince me to try this restaurant and I was appalled...

http://www.sfbg.com/2010/12/21/campannina?page=0,1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really understand the mentality. It's not like they have to eat meat all the time. Many vegetarian restaurants have very familiar dishes to omnis (ie. pasta). Have you mentioned this frustration to your friend? Maybe you should ask her to just go to one, one time with you and eat the food there. The food alone will likely change her mind.
#3 Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM

I'm finding the right time to bring it up without getting so angry about. It's just frustrating that every single meal MUST have meat in it. It's like..WHY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 AM

I have noticed that some of my friends have reacted to my vegetarianism with more meat eating. My roommate at the age of 30 decides he wants to become a hunter and kill stuff (which he didn't want to do before). I think people sometimes feel threatened by vegetarianism and consciously or subconsciously rebel against it.

Check out my blog about the silly things meat eaters say: http://www.thingsmeateaterssay.com .
#5 Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

i had a similar experience, in uni i had two very good friend veggie friends and for them it was a hobby to go out and find new restaurants... we went to a Chinese Buddhist restaurant(all vegetarian) and one of my buddies said he is going to go across the street to the subway and eat by himself like a loser lol! but yea i don't know why people always have meat with every meal, i deftl'y don't anymore @promqueen if you get a chance to visit Canada I will be your vegetarian friend

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#6 Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I need vegetarian friends too. I went looking for some on meetup.com but their meetups are on days that aren't good for me to go out alone, and there's really only one that is active. A former friend of mine is also a member and there is some hostility there to boot. So.....
#7 Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM

My Best friend since elemetery school says every time we eat I must kill at least 3 things during this meal ehh just shut up already I ge it I dont sit down and say ooh veggies im not killing anything this meal every time I eat JEEZE

~Mandi~
#8 Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I really need some veggie friends - that said, whilst my friends wouldn't be open-minded to veggie diet, I never force it upon them, so they treat me fine. I think if you are evangelistic about it, people get hostile.

My experiences.
#9 Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My friends are great (obviously...why would you be friends with someone who isn't great?) They are open minded and suchlike and make me feel included, plus they'll eat anything I cook for them when they come round. But I feel you, I need veggie friends too. :'( I know none. None whatsoever. It's shocking.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#10 Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by promqueen View Post

I'm finding the right time to bring it up without getting so angry about. It's just frustrating that every single meal MUST have meat in it. It's like..WHY.

Ugh I hate that. If you can, try making a joke about it. Then If your friends don't understand, start changing your habits with them so you spend more time with them doing non food activities and less time centered on food.

Making some veg friends can be fun for going out to eat, but just remember that vegetarians and vegans are not really any more cool or fun or understanding than nonveg people. I have friends of both persuasions and I've noticed certain interesting trends: my veg friends are cool about animals but not as cool about kids. My nonveg friends are less in sync with me politically but more in sync in other ways. The people I feel closest to are vegan but overall, I would not say that I like most vegans. I've met a lot and I don't connect with them any more than nonvegans - in general. Like I said, the really special people are veg, but they're just really special people.
#11 Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I also have great, open-minded friends, but I do need more veggie friends. A lot of the restaurants I want to try rely on fake meet, which kind of freaks people out.
#12 Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be the the only veg*n I knew. I had no vegetarian or vegan friends, I was married to the worlds most carnivorous man, and felt SO alone.

After my divorce, I actively pursued veg*n friends via Craigslist, Meetup.com, Facebook and Veggieboards. I ended up moving on to a rescue farm where all 5 of the tenants were veg*n, and from there my veggie social life flourished!! I now live with my vegan boyfriend, and we have a solid community of veg friends. Some of my best friends now are vegan and vegetarian, which is really refreshing. We have awesome potlucks often and do a lot of activism, eating out, etc... It's great

(I am not bragging, I am just giving a shining example of how it CAN happen!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

i had a similar experience, in uni i had two very good friend veggie friends and for them it was a hobby to go out and find new restaurants... we went to a Chinese Buddhist restaurant(all vegetarian) and one of my buddies said he is going to go across the street to the subway and eat by himself like a loser lol! but yea i don't know why people always have meat with every meal, i deftl'y don't anymore @promqueen if you get a chance to visit Canada I will be your vegetarian friend

Do you live in Victoria?? I know of a Buddhist vegan restaurant that is only steps away from a Subway... just curious!
#13 Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I used to be the the only veg*n I knew. I had no vegetarian or vegan friends, I was married to the worlds most carnivorous man, and felt SO alone.

After my divorce, I actively pursued veg*n friends via Craigslist, Meetup.com, Facebook and Veggieboards. I ended up moving on to a rescue farm where all 5 of the tenants were veg*n, and from there my veggie social life flourished!! I now live with my vegan boyfriend, and we have a solid community of veg friends. Some of my best friends now are vegan and vegetarian, which is really refreshing. We have awesome potlucks often and do a lot of activism, eating out, etc... It's great

(I am not bragging, I am just giving a shining example of how it CAN happen!)

Do you live in Victoria?? I know of a Buddhist vegan restaurant that is only steps away from a Subway... just curious!

No I live in Miss. but that incident happened when I was in Winnipeg at some restaurant, can't rem what it was called. I got to go only once and ordered their 9 Gems with sticky rice. *drool*

I have a vegetarian friend in vancouver, he just moved back from Thailand and he is so glad he is back in Veggie friendly BC lol

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#14 Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM

I am also looking to meet more vegetarian/vegan friends. I have been vegetarian for 12 years now, and I do not have a lot of vegetarian/vegan friends. I think it is about time to meet more like-minded individuals who love a variety of vegetarian cuisines and are environmentally conscious. (Hopefully in the downtown Toronto area, or those who visit often).

These friends who are not open to trying vegetarian foods should perhaps become educated about what they are putting into their bodies and what goes on behind the scenes. Ignorance can only be bliss for so long. I wonder if they would be open enough to watch a video such as Vegucated or read some material about the meat industry online.

#15 Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I need to find some here as well, it hard to live here, when everyone eats meat.

#16 Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM

I think I am the only person within 100 miles who is vegetarian down here. I have many friends here and don't make a deal of being vegetarian. Some are more respectful than others. But it is very difficult to find even restaurants that are vegetarian. There was a healthy restaurant, not vegetarian but all organic with many veggie options at the beach that was amazing, but they closed from lack of business :( So now my only veg options are at Jason's deli, Olive garden etc. 

not sure that I have much advice, just to let yall know you are not alone in being lone veg*ns in omni-carni communities. 

#17 Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

i am also looking to talk to people who are calm and collected about how to conduct themselves correctly with that which we are designed to eat. I feel like a social outcast because of all the flack from those who eat flesh, they get angry, i do not, the may realize one day that it is the animal vibration of the dead flesh that is making them vibrate at the wrong level. Its certainly difficult to comprehend sometimes with the attitudes of some, if they just be respectful of others and of what they do, i am respectful of their habits as long as they do not make fun and hilarity of killing animals, thats when it gets a bit tough to handle, then i have to walk away, cant they imagine how the jews felt when Hiltler killed them without so much as a blink of an eye, can we even start to imagine what the animals must be going thru when they smell their death in the eyes of their protectors, hmmmm

Anyway its not easy doing the right thing in a world that is conditioned to eating against that which our bodies have been designed to do.

Keep, keeping on, all i can do is say some words now and then to support people like you to stop death and destruction of life in the first place.

95 % of ill health in humans comes from consuming animals, end of story.

Cheers Big ears

Gary

#18 Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by promqueen View Post

Here's the joke I've made a few times, when telling friends I'd like them to come with me to a vegetarian/vegan place and they react with "But, what if I want meat?"-

"I thought you meat eaters were meant to be tough, what's the matter? Can't go one meal without meat?"

I always say it in a nice way, sometimes a bit cheeky, but they get the hint. At worst, they don't get the hint and then think I'm challenging them (which I am, so good for them) and then try and prove how strong they are because they can handle this 'vegetable' stuff.

#19 Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 PM

I know exactly how you feel. None of my friends or family are vegetarians, and it just sucks. Sometimes when I mention not eating meat, it offends people and they tell me how much they love meat (including my dad). Most meat eaters in my experience feel that a meal is incomplete without meat, and that food cannot be enjoyed without meat as the main course. My suggestion would be to look for vegetarian clubs or meet-up groups if there are any in your area, or talk to people in forums as you are now. I just joined the forum today, after having been wanting to meet other vegetarians for a long time.

#20 Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I know how you feel! Before I moved to the UK to go to college, I was the only vegan I knew. However, at college I have a lot of vegetarian friends (not vegan.... yet!) and some vegan friends from the Vegetarian and Vegan society! It's like a completely different experience! Even my boyfriend, who ate meat when we started dating, turned vegetarian after watching Earthlings with me!

So sometimes, you need to actively get yourself out there and try to find people in your area. What about trying to get in touch with an animal shelter or animal protection movement? I did that when at home and I met some truly amazing people there!

#21 Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM

My roommate doesn't care if I'm vegetarian. I'm BRAND new to it, but he's already making back handed comments and masking them as jokes. It's nothing compared to how my dad will react though, so I'm fine.

#22 Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Sem1991 and welcome to VeggieBoards. Just carry on doing what you know is right and just laugh off any daft stuff that comes your way. :up:

#23 Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm shocked to see how many people don't have any veggie friends! I think I take it for granted that most of my friends are veggie and go out of their way to cook vegan, or find a place that does vegan food when I'm with them.

It is really amazing though that so many people are going veggie or vegan without the support of veggie friends - it really makes me happy  :D

If anyone needs a vegan buddy in Wales, let me know!

#24 Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 AM

I only have one vegetarian friend, and she was living abroad when I decided to become a vegetarian (so she counts now but she didn't really count then). I sometimes wish I knew more veg people too

#25 Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 PM

Oh God ... :)

#26 Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM

I feel the pain.

I live in the rural South, where, apparently, not eating meat makes the baby Jesus cry.

Always be satisfied with what you have. Never be satisfied with what you are.
#27 Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate that I often feel like I have to apologize for my mostly vegan lifestyle. If my friends want to go out they always give me a look that basically says "guess we have to make allowances for you?" I say go where you want & if I can't find a meal option on the menu I'll just grab a cocktail. No prob. But they don't like that and because they feel guilty they get visually body language frustrated with me. Then I feel bad and like a burden. Lately I see my friends going all over places on Facebook & I wasn't invited. I've only been vegan a year and this never happened before so I know it's food related . It's starting to super bum me out. ;(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page