Vegan Lovin' or The Vegan Safer Sex Kit (mature-ish, please) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Valentines Day is fast approaching, make it the safest one yet by not giving your sweetheart an unsuspected present

• All of this is in addition to Birth Control Pills/Diaphram/Sponge/etc. I'm not going to argue whether or not BCP (or any hormone) is good for the body or not. This is going to cover a basic "Vegan Friendly Safer Sex Kit", not including Doctor prescribed medication, etc.

• This is really intended for people who are: unaware of their partner(s) sexual history, have not both gotten tested, want to prevent the spread of STD, prevent pregnancy, enhancement, etc. Some people are aware of their partners health and may not need all of the things that are listed below. I really made this for: new vegans, people who are with a new partner, people who are...vegan...yeah, people who want to have safe sex (always recommended )

• Blah, blah, blah. I should make these kits into little gift baskets and give them away as presents Or, maybe I have entirely too much time on my hands. Either/Or.

• I am not a doctor. Do not take my word as gold. Always consult a real doctor.

I. "Herbal" Birth Control Methods

I've been reading on other veg*n messageboards from people who are obsessed with being "100% vegan". They are using herbal remedies for their sole Birth Control method. This is a trifle bit scary.

There are herbs and plants such as "Wild Yam" which have been used over the years as a anti-fertility drug. Wild Yam (Dioscorea villosa) contains Dioscorea which is used in making Birth Control hormones, a majour breakthrough for plant medicine this century. However, it should never be used as a sole Birth Control method. You are seriously asking for a child if you use this as a BCP alone. Not to mention the STD risk.

I am as a general whole not very familiar with using herbal remedies for fertility/anti-fertility. If someone is more familiar, please share.

II. Tools of the Trade

Carrying the proper tools is half the fun. Here are some products that are vegan friendly.

A. Condoms

"Vegan" condoms differ from "regular" latex condoms in that the Vegan condoms do not contain casein (milk protein) or milk powder and are not tested on animals.

NB: The only 100% vegan condom brand is "Condomi". It is produced in Germany and very popular in Europe. It was available on almost all Vegan merchandise websites, but due to an Insurance problem, Condomi is not exporting to the United States at this time. They are still available on UK websites, I am not sure if they will send to the US.

* Condomi: Most popular vegan condom brand. Recognized by the Vegan Society (UK). Comes in a variety of textures and flavours: Fruit Flavoured, Natural (without spermacide), "SuperSafe" (with spermacide), "Red Ribbon" (specifically made for the "gay scene"), Ribbed, etc.

* Kimono: Not tested on animals. Not 100% vegan. Available in the US.

B. Lubricants

Lubricants, wonderful to use in addition to condom use to prevent breakage. Also helps out when there is a lack of natural lubrication. All lubricants must be water-based if they are being used with condoms. Products such as Vaseline are oil-based and will break down latex, thus breaking or weakening the condom.

* AquaLube: water-based, vegan.

* AstroGlide: water-based, vegan.

* Woman Wise Intimate Lubricant: water-based, vegan.

* Sensua Organics Vegan Lubricant: edible (strawberry, raspberry flavours), water-based, vegan.

* Bronzo Sensuale Ultra-Moist Personal Lubricant: water-based, carrot extract, vegan.

* There are actually lots of brands available. A search on popular online vegan merchandise stores will give you more than enough information.

C. Dental Dams

Dental Dams, a thin piece of latex stretched over the vulva and vagina or anus. There are no vegan brands. There are brands such as: Glyde which are suitable to use (although there is no information on the ingredients.)

* Saran Wrap (Plastic Wrap): Not sure if this is vegan or not, but if you are allergic to latex this is recommended.

D. Latex Gloves

Has a variety of uses. Always good to keep on hand. There are no immediate vegan only latex gloves.

E. Aloe Vera Gel

Incase of an allergic reaction to lubricants or latex.

* Lily of the Desert: 99.5% whole leaf Aloe Vera. vegan.

These are just the basic items that are recommended for Safer Sexual Health. I have listed Vegan alternatives, but if a Vegan alternative isn't available to you or you don't have it on hand when the time comes, PLEASE do not risk your safety or the safety of your partner because you are caught up with being "100% vegan".

To keep a "Vegan Safer Sex Kit" should cost about $25-$30. It is money well spent!

If I come across anything, I'll add it. If you know of any products or suggestions list them! I am probably wrong about a few things (most notably the Wild Yam bit), please correct me. I'm not doing this to be a know-it-all or because I like to play Doctor. I am doing this because I want to see the the decrease of horrible disease like AIDS and the decrease in teen pregnancy.

Play safe everyone! and Happy Valentines Day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

About the Bronzo Sensuale.. Umm.. I've used that and had a bad result. It wasn't nice at all.
#3 Old 02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

here's a tastey suggestion:

so far, i haven't found a vegan chocolate paint/sauce for my sweetie's sweetest sweetness, but i do make my own. I get very dark chocolate that's vegan (i like noir), and then i put it over a double boiler. i add chocolate soy milk to then it to the consistancy that i like (and stays gooey and lickable). then, i let it cool to room temp and put it in a jar that i decorate all pretty like. Then, i get one of those sponge brushes (hey, vegan brushes), and paint away. sometimes i use chop sticks for thin lines for writing chocolate poetry on the man.

it's best not to do this on your best sheets.
#4 Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if the polyurathane condoms have milk protein in them?
#5 Old 02-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

C. Dental Dams

There are no vegan brands.

Solution: Take one vegan condom. Take one pair of scissors. Unroll condom, and slice up one side. Ta-Da!
#6 Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Do people actually use dental dams?

Try not to flame me for this, but I don't know anyone who uses them.
#7 Old 02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

• This is really intended for people who are: unaware of their partner(s) sexual history, have not both gotten tested, want to prevent the spread of STD, prevent pregnancy, enhancement, etc. Some people are aware of their partners health and may not need all of the things that are listed below.

Ah...nevermind.
#8 Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

i need good quality vegan bondage gear!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax View Post

Solution: Take one vegan condom. Take one pair of scissors. Unroll condom, and slice up one side. Ta-Da!

Thats brilliantly...obvious. heh. I would have never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy" View Post

i need good quality vegan bondage gear!

http://www.veganerotica.com
#10 Old 02-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

re: dental dams.

altering a regular condom isn't as affective as using dams, as the shape/size is different, something to keep in mind anyway!
#11 Old 02-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't find the extra thin Condomis anywhere They are the only kind we can use enjoyably. A while back, I ordered some, but they were out of stock and I was sent the extra-thick kind We tried using them once and my husband hated them. If anyone wants the remaining 11, PM me (they're out of the box, but untampered with )
#12 Old 02-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I never thought about the vegan-ness of condoms before! (Milk protein???)

Well, I'm delighted that it happens not to be an issue for me.
#13 Old 02-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thats brilliantly...obvious. heh. I would have never thought of that.

I didn't. I did, however, get curious when a lesbian friend was buying condoms....
#14 Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Women use condoms on sex toys. A lot of toys are porous so wrapping them up is a good way to keep them free of germs.
#15 Old 02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

also, most toys are dish washer safe, which is another way to keep them free of germs.

since i can't find thin condomis either, i just buy thin durex. i'm sure they're not vegan, but it's the only alternative for us (most others have a spermacide or coating on them that ryan has a reaction to. and you don't want to have a reaction there).
#16 Old 02-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned

astroglide is the best

does anyone know if edible underwear is vegan?
#17 Old 02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

Isn't this one area where some form of compromise might be a good idea?
#18 Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 PM

Silicone lubricant is better. IT doesn't dry up like water-based, and it's condom safe.
#19 Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

You can use oil-based lube in conjunction with polyurethane condoms. Yay for Avantis!
#20 Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

GLYDE latex condoms are 100% Vegan and found on health food store shelves all across the USA: www.glydeamerica.com So are Sheer Glyde Dams (for oral sex): [email protected].
#21 Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Good thread. A spammer bumped it.
#22 Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember reading this thread many years ago before joining vb.

why - i have NO idea i really dont =S

oh well

welcome back vegan sex thread
#23 Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

well myself I just glyded on in here.
#24 Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Good thread. A spammer bumped it.

Spammer??? What spammer??? Nice try, though!!
#25 Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

no, there really was an advertizer, I saw them (and manipulated bits of their stuff, into my own personal calendar made out of the woman wearing her own products in sexy revenge!)

well I say revenge, I can forgive the 'spammer' myself if as they said their products are vegan, but Michael I guess has to enforce the board policy even then for everybody even if the product is vegan as we saw so graphicly being whipped up into a storm when vegan accommodation dude showed up on VB a while back..
#26 Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

no, there really was an advertizer, I saw them (and manipulated bits of their stuff, into my own personal calendar made out of the woman wearing her own products in sexy revenge!)

well I say revenge, I can forgive the 'spammer' myself if as they said their products are vegan, but Michael I guess has to enforce the board policy even then for everybody even if the product is vegan as we saw so graphicly being whipped up into a storm when vegan accommodation dude showed up on VB a while back..
#27 Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I figured there really was one...I was just teasing the frogster!!
#28 Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually debated leaving the spam partially and decided it was most consistent to delete it in whole.
#29 Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM

idk if anyone else has mentioned it, but:

glyde condoms/lube, etc. are vegan.

and sylk lube is vegan.
#30 Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM

OK, it's official. Celebacy ROCKS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page