Anybody use the website The Knot?/Wedding Planning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a possibly stupid question. I'm planning my wedding, using the website http://wedding.theknot.com and trying to plan my guest list. Do I also put my bridesmaids/groomsmen as the guests, along with family in the wedding?

Also, any advice on planning a wedding with a low budget (haven't figured out the budget yet)?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I highly recommend offbeatbride.com
Unless your pretty onbeat lol but they feature, talk about, and advise on weddings that don't go by the norm whether it's a fairytale goth wedding, or just vegan. They featured a lot of vegan weddings too.

DIY! It's fun stuff and really saves money.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#3 Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

We had a book called Offbeat Bride at the library, but it's missing.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh. I've never used their web site, but I did install part of their computer system.

--Fromper
#5 Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

We had a book called Offbeat Bride at the library, but it's missing.

I have this book, I enjoyed it.
#6 Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Love the offbeat bride. http://offbeatbride.com/

I read that blog and the offshoot, offbeat mama almost daily! The book is pretty awesome as well. I will forever be a fan of Ariel's after learning her favorite music festival is the one my fiance and I met at- Shambhala in BC.

A practical wedding http://apracticalwedding.com/ is also an amazing blog, full of great posts and even greater discussions about things that aren't normally covered on other wedding blogs.

For budgeting ideas, http://2000dollarwedding.com is great, but not only for that.

Do put your wedding party on your invite list, cause you need to include them in the headcounts for food, favors etc.

When it comes to doing things on a budget I have read lots online and some of the most useful advice I've been finding while planning my own wedding is to:
Figure out what is important to you, and spend money on that. If food is important, and you don't care much about photos or a videographer or something, then put more money towards food.

You don't have to include all the things that the wedding industry wants you to include. You don't have to have favors for everyone, or get your make up and hair done professionally.

Use your friends talents!!!
DIY can sometimes wind up being more expensive. Doing it together is where it's at. We have my stepmom as our photographer (she is semi pro anyway, and has a great eye). We have friends catering the event at cost (my fiance catered theirs, and everyone pitched in). My dad knows so many musicians, our music is gonna be free and rocking. We have a friend bartending for tips and some free drinks.

Sometimes a wedding coordinator will save you money, if you are using a lot of vendors- they can help you find the best deals and take away a lot of stress. We're spending money on this because it was especially important for us to have a fun and stress free day!

You don't have to have a full dinner for a wedding reception. You can have an afternoon cake and champagne reception, or a lunch [email protected], or hor d'eurves with just beer and wine. You don't have to have a full bar. You can have a cash bar, or what we call a twoonie bar in Canada (drinks are 2 dollars, usually paid with 2 dollar coins, called twoonies) or donations only, or no bar at all.

It's your day and it can be anything you want it to be, but most importantly- it's about celebrating your love and marriage, and what it looks like doesn't matter, and what you spend on it doesn't matter. The important thing is you'll be getting married to your loved one, and having a wicked party to celebrate.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Heh. I've never used their web site, but I did install part of their computer system.

--Fromper

Sweet. Thank you!!!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I used it when I first started planning but now I don't go on it very often.

For budget tips I'd say the following things have saved us the most money:

-Having our wedding off-season (March) so that it's less expensive for venue as well as many vendors
-Having our ceremony at the same place as the reception so we don't have to pay a church, nor do we need to get transportation for the Wedding Party
-Having a small Wedding Party - we won't have to spend a lot of money for gifts for say a group of 10 people, nor will we have to pay for a huge Groom's dinner (we're paying for everything ourselves) and with Groom's dinners usually each person in the Wed. party is allowed to bring their significant other so say a WP of 10, + 1 for each is 20, plus parents on both sides, grand parents, personal attendants & their +1's, ushers and their +1's etc... it can get to be huge!!
-Centerpieces/Cake - we're actually having individual round cakes on each table that guests will cut/serve amongst themselves. This is going to save us a ton of money by not getting a huge wedding cake, plus we don't have to buy centerpieces because the cake will be it, AND it will be something on the table to get guests interacting as well.
-Flowers - fake/from a craft store.
-Photographer - newer photographer (under 1 yr exp) so she is much less expensive yet has beautiful work.
-Favors - Candy Buffet - cheap & fun!

That is all I can think of for now but all of it is saving us a lot!!! HTH!

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#9 Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine who worked as a wedding planner said to just google around. Find every piece of money-saving advice you can. Take it, use it all, scrimp and save and be as cheap as you can. Don't listen to anyone who says you have to spend big money for anything... EXCEPT FOR ONE THING!!!!

Pay good money for a good, experienced photographer. The ONLY thing that that will last from a wedding will be the photos. A million things can go wrong at a wedding; the centerpieces can be cheap and fall apart, your uncle can puke on the dance floor, the DJ can not show up, your bridesmaid can have a screaming fight with a groomsman, etc. etc. etc. But none of that will matter in 20 years. The photos? They will matter. Don't take a single risk. You want a photographer who has dealt with all kinds of crap going wrong. Rain outside, poor lighting due to weather, crappy lighting inside the venue, kids unable to stand still, organizing shots with surly people, equipment failures, broken cameras... And, having dealt with all that for years, the photographer STILL knows how to get amazing shots.

In short, you want an experienced pro.

I take really nice photos, actually. I was offered a thousand bucks to do someone's wedding once. I could have REALLY used the money, but I turned them down and explained that they should hire a pro. That's how firmly I believe in getting a professional. The HORROR stories I heard from my wedding planner pal about bad or inexperienced photographers... *shudder* You might luck out and get a good inexperienced photographer who takes stunning shots if you decide to go cheap on that. Some people do. Some people also luck out and survive major car accidents unscathed without wearing a seat belt, too. But that's no reason to forgo buckling up. The chances of an amateur photogpraher messing up or giving you sub-par work are exponentially higher than if you hire an experienced professional. And since photos are the one thing that matter, scrimp and save everywhere else and hedge your bets in this ONE department.

(Oh... The other thing my wedding planner friend said was "Classic hair. Always, always have classic hair. Or you will literally be made fun of for generations.")
#10 Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of photographers, and this suggestion isn't a replacement for hiring a pro, but my sister did something cool at her wedding. They had a disposable camera on every table and told the guests to take their own pictures and leave the cameras. They got some very interesting shots, with the family and friends picking out interesting stuff that an outsider might not have realized was so interesting.

--Fromper
#11 Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Speaking of photographers, and this suggestion isn't a replacement for hiring a pro, but my sister did something cool at her wedding. They had a disposable camera on every table and told the guests to take their own pictures and leave the cameras. They got some very interesting shots, with the family and friends picking out interesting stuff that an outsider might not have realized was so interesting.

I think that's a fun idea too. A professional photographer is crucial, but for one thing, he or she can't be everywhere at once. And the stuff family and friends snap pictures of will be hilarious, touching, and telling on its own.
#12 Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh I wasn't suggesting she hire just "someone who takes good pictures" Obviously you want someone who is a professional but if you can find someone who is just on the verge of getting discovered and can't quite charge the big bucks just yet (but DOES have experience) then it can save you a ton of money. As I mentioned, our photographer had less than a year of experience at the time we booked her (10 months before our wedding) so I also knew she would get 10 more months of experience before our big day, but we got the rate she was charging at the time. But she is professional - her website is www.leslielarsonphotography.com but like I said she just didn't have enough experience to charge $2400 like the other guys at the time. (plus I would never ever pay that kind of money for a photographer anyway no matter how good their pictures were that is just too much money and we're skimping on just about everything as it is so there's no room for me to 'skimp on other stuff to afford an expensive photographer')

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page