Are You The Only Vegan/vegetarian In Your Family? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 Old 07-08-2010, 10:21 PM

I'm the only vegan in my family because it was a choice I made on my own..and I was just wondering if it's like this for anyone else?

It gets REALLY hard sometimes because I feel like I don't belong anymore. And when I make a single comment about my diet, my brother lashes out at me and they all chime in! I don't think they understand, no matter how many times I've tried explaining it to them...They can say how gross it is for me to be a vegan, but I never say anything about wanted to upchuck my meals when my Dad's eating hamburgers...! Help?
theheadandtheheart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
AAG

I totally understand you. It sucks to live with your omni parrents when you're veg. It's a cupple of years since i went veg (as long as i've lived away from home), and I can tell you one thing. If they dont allready, they will probably never "get you" or understand your diet choice. They will not respect it. But they will eventully grow more and more tired of making the same stupid jokes and comments.

When i'm home visiting my parrents I still have to sit next to their stinking meat-dishes without saying a word, while they can poke fun of my food. It's not because they are bad people or try to hurt us. They are just trapped in this box of ignorance and I honestly dont think they understand that they bully you, while demanding that you dont comment upon their food choices.

Forgive and forget, no matter how hard it sounds
#3 Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Only vegan in my family (blood), but my fiance is vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel quite lucky with my family. Although my mum was opposed to me going vegan, she is vegetarian. The rest of my family (dad, two brothers and a sister) are omni, but my ten year old sister recently stopped eating chicken because she made the connection between that and her pet rooster... hopefully the rest will follow
#5 Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Sorry, many family (blood and in-law) and friends are vegetarian (about 20).

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#6 Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

No one in my family, including my husband, is vegetarian or vegan. They're all supportive for the most part, but I do sometimes wish I wasn't the only one...
#7 Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only one in my family too (besides my son, who I'm raising to be veg!) -- so I completely understand how difficult it can be.

My family just RECENTLY began giving me more respect regarding my lifestyle.. and I've been meat-free for over 1/2 a year. And pescatarian longgg before that..

Just keep doing what you're doing; eventually they should realize that you aren't bending down and this is who you are!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#8 Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My wife and sister-in-law are vegetarians.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#9 Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm the only veg*n in my family. I don't even have any good friends irl who are "real" vegetarians (2 near and dear to me are pescatarians ).

Granted, it's very hard to live with omnis, but you're going to have to keep your chin up and manage until you're out on your own. Try to make the best of it - learn to make some family-friendly side-dishes that will impress your family - or some tasty desserts. There are lots of recipes online. Get some vegan snacks and share! Don't watch your Dad eat a hamburger - and if you have to, don't make any derogatory comments - it only makes things worse. Keep posting here and get to know some friends online. Join veggie groups on FB or in your community. And be sure you know your facts about being vegan - eat healthily so your parents won't worry, and be able to assure them that you're not missing out on important nutrients. I know it's hard, very hard. It will probably get easier with time, if that's any help.

In fact, I really, really admire the teens/young adults on VB who live at home with omni families. You guys are very inspirational!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only vegan in my family. My oldest sister was a vegetarian a long time ago, but not for ethical reasons, but because "everyone else" was. My other big sister is a wannabe-vegetarian. A liberal pescetarian, sort of.

My parents are very supportive, and they let me cook for them and tells me how impressed they are with me. But it's still very hard for me to cook food in the same kitchen as them, when it smells meat all over the place.
#11 Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I have two nieces who are vegetarian, a grand niece who is egg allergy, and the rest of my family is very supportive, but still omni.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Only one among my family or friends. I have a few veg. acquaintances but no one close. Kinda stinks!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#13 Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only one but everyone's supportive.
#14 Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My aunt and sister are "vegetarians" who eat fish, but I am the only actual vegetarian/vegan.
#15 Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I was the only vegetarian in my family for a long time (I went veg at 15 or 16, when I was still living with my parents). Luckily they were pretty supportive of my choices, but it was still tough at times.

Right now I'm living with my husband who is a very minimal lacto-veg (he'd be vegan if he didn't have moments of weakness with chocolate). His mom eats very little meat (was vegetarian for a long time), his sister is vegetarian, his brother is pescatarian. My mom now eats very little non-fish meat (she's basically a pescatarian, I guess)... I think I rubbed off on her

So after about 15-16 years of vegetarianism, I'm now surrounded by a lot of vegetarians or near vegetarians (or at the very least, people who are very understanding and willing to eat vegan food without a fuss). It's nice
#16 Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only vegan in my family. My lady is vegan as well. We have a few friends who are vegetarian.
#17 Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm the only one but it's not a problem, everyone is cool about it, and very accommodating.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
sfv

I'm the only Vegan. My family says I'm a freak...I can live with that. They are big Atkins fans and firm believers that eating meat is Biblical. Thanksgiving is oh so fun.
#19 Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Sure am! No one is supportive at all. Except my mom has gotten better... she'll actually eat some of my vegetarian fare, when before it would always be a 2 seperate meals kind of thing.
#20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm the only vegetarian in my family, as well. I've tried to convince my family to go veg, but my mother got really up in arms about it, so I try to keep the moral debate to a minimum. My older brother has tried vegetarianism, and lasted about a week and a half. I think, if I helped him some, he could achieve it. I think I'll convince him to try again.

My family's been fairly supportive about my vegetarianism, so I guess I'm kind of lucky. But still, they poke fun, and I know that they mean well by it, but I don't think they realize how truly obnoxious it is. It gets a bit annoying when my parents choose a resteraunt that obviously has no vegetarian options, and when I mention it, they respond "Well, you don't have to be vegetarian. Why should we have to suffer because of you?" *blech*
#21 Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 AM

For now, I'm the only vegetarian in my family even though my brother has taken to eating a lot of what I eat. In time, I could see him easing into a veg lifestyle. Until then, all I can do is share my opinion and my food in hopes of winning him over.
#22 Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM

I was vegetarian for about 14 years before I became vegan, for 6 of those years I lived with my omni family. My mother was downright horrible to me about my vegetarianism for the first few years.... when 3 years after I left home became a pescetarian (sp)

My sister is vegetarian, but I haven't lived with her in over 24 years, so not that much help.

My lovely husband was omni when I met him, went vegetarian after a few months, and became vegan about 3-4 months after I did. I can't tell you how much easier this makes life!
#23 Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM

I am the only Vegetarian ....but My Fiancee, Parents, Baby Bro and Close Friends Who I Consider Family are Beyond Supportive.
#24 Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my sisters is a Vegetarian.

My mother,niece and another sister dont eat red meat.
#25 Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I am the only vegetarian in my family, but no one has really given me any attitude about it except for my one Grandmother. I'm lucky in my circle of friends as well, the vegetarians/vegans out number the omni's and ALL omni friends are extremely considerate and supportive!

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#26 Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm the only vegetarian. I've been veg since I was 13, and I'm nearly 18 now. My mum's really good and always tries to cook meals to accomodate me. She's never made nasty comments. My dad and brother however do. If I say anything about veg*nism the least I get is rolling eyes, if not full on rants about how they have to deal with me. I am so glad my brother moved back to the UK a couple of months ago, things are a bit easier with him gone.

Just keep on working with it. Don't argue, just leave the room if things are going in a bad direction. It does get easier.
#27 Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 AM

I'm the only vegan in my family apart from my dad's uncle who calls himself a vegetarian but eats fish so he doesn't count! My parents have been ok about it. Although quite often my mum will cook dinner and tell me to just pick out the meat.
#28 Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Beginner

I'm the only vegetarian in my household. I live with my husband and a roommate. My parents are both omni, as are all my in-laws. It's not a big deal. My roommate gives me crap, but it's goodnatured ribbing. He was frying up Spam the other day and made a joke about how I should be able to eat it because it's not really meat. My hubby makes a face whenever I buy soy or almond milk (he thinks it's gross), but it was actually by his urging that I went veg, so he's very supportive. I also still eat eggs and dairy, so it might be a little harder if I was vegan.
#29 Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm the only vegan in my house; both of my parents are devout omnivores.

At family gatherings, it's been awkward sometimes.

When they're drunk, they talk about throwing hot dogs at me!

Stick it out!

Soon everybody will be used to your life choice, and they'll hopefully get off your case.

Good luck =]
#30 Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jduck9' date='09 July 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1278649304' post='2671128 View Post

I'm the only vegan in my family because it was a choice I made on my own..and I was just wondering if it's like this for anyone else?

I am the only vegan in the family. I get GREAT support because they've all seen the amazing health benefits of my lifestyle. I sense your situation might be a little bit different than mine. My brothers and sisters are grown with families of their own.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page