Are You The Only Vegan/vegetarian In Your Family? - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#181 Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

i am the first one on my famly side and my husbands side to get a tattoo and now I am the first vegetarian, I am branded the OUTLAW of the family.

If I have to hear . Oh she only lives on vegetables one more time... Going to scream.

They really dont seem to understand.

Its very hard but then people have all my life commented on my eating so this is no new thing for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

i am the first one on my famly side and my husbands side to get a tattoo and now I am the first vegetarian, I am branded the OUTLAW of the family.

If I have to hear . Oh she only lives on vegetables one more time... Going to scream.

They really dont seem to understand.

Its very hard but then people have all my life commented on my eating so this is no new thing for me.

I am sorry to hear that. It is sad when people feel the constant need to judge other people's food choices. At least you have VB to vent to

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." -Alice Walker
#183 Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Are You The Only Vegan/vegetarian In Your Family?

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

yes i am. it's hard because im technically underweight (5'6'' and 104 lbs) so everyone goes "oh its because you dont eat meat" "...well maybe if you ate meat you wouldnt be skin and bones. blahblahblah. in reality it has nothing to do with me being a vegetarian.
#185 Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Still the only vegan in my family, but my boyfriend recently decided to go veg. Yay. <3
#186 Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 AM

It must be difficult being the only one in the family. Most of my family are veggie or close to it. I went veggie at 16 (now 32) and my Mum went veggie at the same time. It was only the two of us in the house so nice and easy for both of us. My DH is veggie ( he 'turned' just after I met him lol) and we're raising our 11 month old son veggie unless he decides he wishes to eat meat outside of the house when he's a bit older. My sister is pescetarian as is my brother-in-law (they don't eat fish very often at all but still not fully veggie). Nephew (13) is a meat-eater. So on my side we're in the majority!

My in-laws are omnis and think it's funny to rib us about being veggie all the time (hmmm like it didn't stop being amusing about a dozen years ago). My FIL was in the meat trade his entire life until he retired though so I don't think he really 'gets' it tbh. Saying that, they always make sure there's plenty of veggie stuff in the house for us when we visit and have got good at checking for stuff being labelled as veggie.
#187 Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

For the most part. One of my cousins on my mother's side is really a pescetarian; the reason for her dietary choice is health. Her brother's daughter is a vegetarian, but I can't say I even know her; we've only met 2 or 3 times at family functions.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#188 Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, and it's pretty lonely. Quite possibly the reason I registered with VeggieBoards in the first place My boyfriend and a few of my family members would like to be vegetarian or would at least like to eat a lot less meat -- a good starting point, at least.

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
#189 Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I am the only person not eating meat. I still cook it for my children but since not eating it myself I have found that more and more gross. I used to buy whole chickens for example and then cut them up to use, as it's cheaper but now it really turns my stomach handling it so much especially if it's rare so I buy pieces instead. Red meat is not as bad. Sometimes I cook veggie meals for us all too but won't pressure my children to stop eating meat if they want to just educate them so they can make an informed choice for themselves As I buy all the food and do all the cooking I guess it's a little easier for me than for some people
#190 Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Yep. Being Vietnamese, pork, chicken, beef and fish are staple foods in my family's diet. I don't want to tell them that I'm a vegetarian for as long as I have to live with them. I just don't want to have to listen to them constantly nagging me to eat meat. They're all convinced I'll wither away and die a slow, painful death if I don't eat meat, and there's no changing their minds.
#191 Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i am the only one. my cousin said she was one before she got pregnant and then she started eating meat again. i dont remember her being veg i think she just says that to make me feel better or something but it doesnt because she eats meat now. im definately an outcast as i am in most aspects of my life. im actually the only veg i know. everytime our family gets together everyone always asks me what i eat. when we go camping everyone looks at my vegieburgers the way that i look at there real burgers. and they all ask me how they taste and stuff i always tell them just to taste one there not bad.
#192 Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 AM

My aunt and two cousins are vegetarians but in regards to my actual household, I'm the only one. It used to drive my nan insane but she doesn't mind now. My grandad likes it, I think. He's an experimental cook and having a vegetarian in the house means he gets to try out recipes that he would never have attempted before. He's never been one for meat supplements such as Quorn. If it's vegetarian, it has to have vegetables in it! :P
#193 Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 AM

My mum has been a vegetarian since I was about 8. My dad joined her when I was 10. Growing up with vege parents sort of influenced me to pick that lifestyle as well. I tried it for 3 yrs in my teens but gave it up. Now that I'm older, I've decided to give it another shot and I'm sure I won't be going back to meat as I'm planning on going vegan in a few months. But my mum did have A LOT of resistance with her dad (my grandpa). It was so bad she left her parents' home deciding not to talk to them again (and my mum's the nicest person I know so this came as a shock to me). After a few weeks it all went back to normal and my grandpa never talked to my mum about her diet ever again.

I have family members (cousins and aunts/uncles) who are exactly like some of those dumbasses who pass really STUPID comments about eating plants and how plants have feelings and about how we have canines to eat meat. I think the best way to deal with this people is to just smile and ignore. When I visit family once a year, my cousins have this tradition of going out all together for dinner and they always pick buffet dinner places where I have to pay $35 for freaking salad. Once one of my older cousins got me sometihng that looked vegetarian but everyone at that time (this was years ago) knew it was cooked in lard. I was 16 so I didn't know about the lard but they were in their 30s, they sure as hell knew that Carrot cake (the asian version) is cooked in lard. I still dread that one dinner outing with my cousins every year. It's freaking annoying where I'm made to feel like an alien when I'm infact picking healthier food to eat. It's too bad they're my family cuz I'd never willingly befreind people like them. All you can do in your situation is to just breathe in, breathe out and come on veggieboards and seek refuge.

I'm planning on going vegan next year but I'm afraid to tell my dad about it cuz he thinks vegans are extreme and he thinks veganism is "like a cult". His words not mine. And yeah, he's a vegetarian. I guess he doesn't know about dairy cows and what they go through. I should show my parents a video from youtube one of these days. I dred the day I go back to my parents house and have to explain why I'm not going to eat ice cream.

I feel your anger. Just know that you're doing the right thing no matter what people say. THey'll come around just like my grandpa did. THey'll still think you're crazy but they'll learn to be more tollerant. Hang in there!!

Giraffes are awesome.
#194 Old 10-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes, only one...actually I only know one single other veg*n...you'd think being in socal I would know more
#195 Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my cousins (I have 27 of em, lol) is a vegetarian, haven't seen him for years and never talked to him about it, just knew he was one. My sis in law is a veggie too, but she lives 1800 miles away so we don't see her very often either. Other than that it's just me and my wife and we're newbies at it.
#196 Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM

I feel the same, I've been vegetarian for 3 years and just recently started veganism. My family and I are going on holiday to south africa, and they said I will be wasting their money if im vegan and the hotel doesnt really accommodate, so I agreed to be lacto-ovo vegetarian for the duration of the stay (1 week) But my dad decided that I told him I was eating meat, and when I try to explain, he cuts me off, and wont let me explain. :/

Generally my family eats vegetarian meals, and I've even persuaded them to eat 1 or 2 vegan meals with me a week. I have definitely made sure my family eat a lot less meat. However there are frequent arguments where they go on about tofu being disgusting etc. It's unfair as I don't have a go them for eating meat. My dad says I'm going to regret being vegan "when" I go back to eating meat. But right now I just don't feel like I can eat meat regularly, I just don't agree with taking from and killing animals for food when its not necessary - which its not, we can be perfectly healthy without harming animals and being selfish. Like I said, it's been 3 years, and the arguments dont really stop yet, in my experience. My older sister says I'm just trying to be difficult. I would really prefer my family to fully accept and be ok with vegetarianism/veganism.

#197 Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Beginner

None of my family are vegan or vegetarian.  None of my friends are.  Fortunately my girlfriend is.  My family are tolerant of my veganism, my friends usually are although on holiday in Spain once they did get exasperated at what a hassle it can be to find suitable food.  Generally I'm thankful there are forums like this!

#198 Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

My family eats meat. Most of my friends eat meat. My housemate eats meat.

Sod 'em! wink3.gif

If I post anything offensive, it's society's fault, not mine.
#199 Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

My cousin is a vegetarian and has been since she was a little girl (now 28).

My girlfriend is not quite a vegetarian, she thinks the idea of meat is disgusting but still cooks with lard wall.gif.

I am the only vegan I know which is a huge shame.

-Slave.

#200 Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, but since that report about vegetarianism and heart health came out, I've been poking my Dad (recently retired) about going veggie.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#201 Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Zab

There is one veg*n in my extended family, but I never see her. This is the reason that I joined this site in the first place! They are as supportive as they can be when I am present. If they aren't being supportive then they keep it to themselves (most of the time). They certainly aren't mean about it, and I don't feel any pressure from them.

#202 Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I told my uncle I didn't eat meat and he told me I was stupid. 

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#203 Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm the only vegan but my man and his two kids are vegetarian/pescetarian. There's one kid who won't eat eggs but still does dairy, the other will eat anything you put in front of her. My boyfriend sometimes thinks he wants fish, but then he gets it home and ends up eating what I make. The last time he did that, half a pound of shrimp ended up turning in the fridge and I had to toss it.

#204 Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM

I know how you feel. I don't have any vegetarian or vegan friends. So for now I just plod along.

I have a daughter that I don't raise vegan. My husband is most definitely not a vegan (or into healthy eating in general) and since I made the choice to stop eating animal products I feel that she should be allowed to choose what is best for her. She is only 8 right now, and enjoys vegan and non vegan foods. Deep down, I would love for her to go veg. But again, it should be her choice.

#205 Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm the only veggie in my family and it sucks. My mother usually tries to understand my choices, but my father and (especially) brother are constantly talking stupid things like "meat is so delicious, you don't know what are you resigning from", "you'll die because of the lack of nutricions". I am quite knowledgeable about vitamins, nutritions etc. because for a long time I've been doing some researches in this field, but whenever I try to explain them some things they just won't listen to me and ignore. It really pisses me off. This ignorance is even more annoying than those idiotic comments. And although I've been veggie for almost 3 years I haven't got used to it and I don't think I will.

#206 Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

For the first few years of my veg*n life I was. My aunt and cousin were both vegetarians before I went veggie myself, but had both stopped by the time I started (my aunt cited medical reasons and my cousin just missed bacon). My Mum eventually became vegetarian a few years ago though, after years of me trying to convince her, so I'm not any more. Nobody else in my family is but they're all supportive of me, even my brother who teases me about it (but not in any serious way).

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#207 Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Beginner

My brother and I are the only vegans. I have a motto which is basically fux with it. Means the [f-word] deal with it. But my younger brother is a little more sensitive than and I and has a really big heart. Our relatives make use uncomfortable by watching us cooking and making ugly faces. They refuse to try anything we make. And even when they say it smells all right, they still refuse to try it. My father use to call most of our vegan stuff, vegan crap. And would get pretty prissy that he had to buy our specialty items. Even though it was for our health. 

#208 Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM

I'm the only veggie in my family. It can be tough sometimes, but a few days ago my Mom went to a vegan restaurant with me for my birthday and she was delighted. A very pleasant surprise for her and for me.
#209 Old 09-23-2013, 03:57 PM

I hate when family are like that. My parents and siblings are supportive about it, but I always feel like planning a meal (home or out) is a hassle. They don't do it intentionally. I guess my MIL  and husband are worst of all though. They always give my meal the "what the hell is that" look.

It went so far once that a month where money was tight, my husband said I should stop buying "that healthy stuff" because "it was too expensive".

I ask myself the same question, Why the hell am I with him?

#210 Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Beginner

I'm the only vegan but my daughter is vegetarian. I was a lone vegetarian for about 5 years. She became vegetarian at about the same time I became vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page