Valentine's Day gifts - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah yes, that time is once again drawing near and while I'm very happy to have a b.f for once , it does bring problems. The dreaded 14th of Feb.

I am totally lost for ideas. He'll obviously be getting a card, but other than that....

The whole thing is so geared towards women that I am struggling to even think of anything remotely appropriate. Chocolates are out, and despite being a soppy git I doubt he's craving flowers.

Also, his birthday was quite recent so birthday type gifts, cds, books etc seem a little...boring?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Get some massage oils and treat him to a nice massage?
#3 Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Massages are good. Especially yummy smelling ones. Mmm.

For valentine's both my boy of 8 months (9 just after valentine's!! eek!) and I are fairly broke. I'm taking him to a Valentine's Banquet, a vegetarian dinner party event held here in town (they do something every month, this month is valentine's, with entertainment and everything!) .. it's a potluck so I am sorta making him dinner and sorta treating him to dinner... and then we are going to a play called The Bacchae which a friend of mine is in.. which is $12 for the both of us.. so yay... That's all happening on the 8th though due to timing of both events..

On the 13th is a Con-Version (local sci-fi/fantasy convention) Valentine's dance that we'll probably go to if we can afford it.

On the actual 14th I'm hoping to go to a movie.. 50 First Dates looks cute... I have discount coupons that make movies cheap too.. yay.. *laugh* ... so we've got DATE stuff... The 14th night is a game night for HIS game, so I think that's what we're doing (we LARP and are addicts and stuff) that night.

I'm not too worried about actual gifts.. I think going out and having fun is a good time. If we had the evening free I'd want to do something sweet like make dinner together, and cuddle up and watch some of our favorite movies together, perhaps infront of the fireplace at my house..

I mean stuff is always fun to get, but I am with him because I adore him and not cos he can get me stuff... and I love doing stuff with him, making dinner together, etc etc etc..

If you want an idea of something to get, I saw a cute heart-shaped pillow with a pocket. I thought it was sweet cos you can put a vday card in it.. and after vday, slip cute little notes or pics of you (like budoir pics or whatever they are? ie naked you in a sheet type of thing? lol) or something in it. It was at Safeway and was like $7 here in Calgary but I dunno about where you are... but something like that is always cute. Or little toys or things like that. I dunno what your bf likes though.. mine has toys that now live under his bed because he babysat my ferret for 6 weeks during my Australia trip and he lost all his toys.. but he likes toys.

Dunno if any of that helps.. lol.. I'd say find something you guys enjoy doing together and spend the night that way, without too much worry of actual gifts, if you aren't sure what to get him. Or maybe go with like a phrase shirt or things like Thundercats or Transformer shirts if he likes those kinds of things. I know most of my guy friends do and my boy does so could be a good gift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I always get something sexy and slightly silly. Like handcuffs.
#5 Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

hey--check out www.surprise.com a great site with lots of categories for a variety of people and holidays!! good luck!!!
#6 Old 01-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

hahaha you guys have some brilliant ideas! Would it be OTT if I went for all of them?

#7 Old 01-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

smedley, That's a neat site.
#8 Old 01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

smedley, That's a neat site.

yeah--it can really help out when you are stuck!!!!!!!!
#9 Old 01-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

I always get something sexy and slightly silly. Like handcuffs.

Hehe, I like that idea, lol

I'm checking out that site as well, since I'm a little stuck too, thanks Smedley!
#10 Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

lacykitten, this is off topic but what is that in your avatar? just curious.

as for valentines day, i'm stuck for ideas too. it's also our anniversary, we'll have been together 7 years. oy. what to get for 7th year anniversary, it's beyond me. we're not really a romantic couple, the last 2 years we decided to try, we went to a fancy restaurant, dressed up etc, and both times were disappointed with either the food or the service, and the price. this year we decided to do something we know we'll both enjoy, for the same price of a fancy dinner we're going to a family restaurant and then to a movie. and probably still saving money

but i just don't know what to get him. we agreed no cards this year, we agree that they're a waste of paper and money. i'll send him an e-card instead. we also tried the cliche route with gifts one year, i got him a bunch of things, a cute but not girly teddy bear and various chocolates and a naughty book and wrapped it all up nicely, he didn't appreciate any of it (except the book lol). he got me a sexy nighty and i never wear it cause it doesn't fit me right, i still prefer my cotton nightshirt and sweatpants.

we're just not the romantic type, so i dunno. maybe we can agree on something ahead of time, like go somewhere and pick something out together that's for both of us. no disappointments this way.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

lacykitten, this is off topic but what is that in your avatar? just curious.

It's a baby wombat that I was holding in Tasmania. ^_____^ *beam*

Not off-topic - he's a vego too! LOL
#12 Old 01-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

we're running a couple's yoga workshop at Our Yoga Studio that is going to be delicious. contact me via pm if you're interested--it's going to be awesome! (and only $40 for both people).

also, men do love flowers. Really. they do. you can give them flowers and they'll be very happy. it's so cute. even the messy ones love flowers.

home made valenties are great. we're going to make some during the workshop, so that'll be fun. i got some great paper, ribbon, stamps, stickers, poems (rumi mostly), images of the divine couple (krishna/radha), and various colors (chalks, pastels, markers, colored pencils, and pens) so that people can make valentines. Ryan and i do this a lot--all year round.
#13 Old 01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I agree with you Zoebird, I decided yesterday that I'm gonna make a valentine Maybe I should try the flower thing as well, because to be honest I really don't know what to buy, and flowers and a card would be really sweet and thoughtful. Plus I don't want to spend heaps of money, and I hope my boyfriend feels the same way
#14 Old 01-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe buy yourself some really sexy underwear and wear them for him! That way you get new underwear too
#15 Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

Maybe buy yourself some really sexy underwear and wear them for him! That way you get new underwear too

that is really funny!!! i love buying gifts for others that are really for ME!!! i do love giving to others--but hey if i can benefit too--i will have at it!!
#16 Old 01-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

Great plan! I think I'll use it, hehe.

I'm not the mushy type, but Jen is ... so I've gotta come up with something good. Keep the suggestions coming, please.
#17 Old 01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The best valentine gift I ever received from my husband was a small red staple gun that I use at school all the time. Every time I use it I think of him and Valentine's Day. He's not very romantic--goes around blowing out candles as a fire risk--and often doesn't give me anything more than a card. But the staple gun has given me several years of service and I smile everytime I use it.
#18 Old 01-31-2004, 02:50 PM

I say go for the sexy underwear (lingerie, if you're a girl, sorry i don't know for sure) but that's my plan for v-day. Buy something else too that he'll appriciate, it could even be something practical and boring because, hey, you're gonna be wearing sexy unerwear.
#19 Old 01-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The sexy underwear thing does work! Now I've gotta come up with something different this year - maybe visit a 'naughty shop'
#20 Old 01-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

There's always the tried-and-true option of a treasure hunt throughout the house or building or even all over town. You could buy/make silly little things to go along with each clue. Anticipation is half the fun!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#21 Old 02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I've given my husband flowers before. He loved it. Guys do like flowers (just think of all the men with a green thumb).

If it were me, I'd make him a nice, homecooked meal. Then I'd break out the massage oil and/or lingerie for later on. You could make him a special coupon book with all sorts of favors (not all of them need be sexual). You could go see a movie, his choice. Plan a date around something he likes to do.

There's all kinds of things you can do and it doesn't have to be expensive. Spending time together is what's important, IMO, not some flashy gift.
#22 Old 02-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm. one thing i do for ryan is buy him paints--body paints and body markers. we like to draw and paint on each other.

it's a fun activity. and sexual-non-sexual. weird, huh?

i do the sexy undies/lingerie thing. . .and he just stares at me. it works more for me than it does for him.
#23 Old 02-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf and I are not really big on Valentine's Day, but I think that I have come up with something fantastic this year: Superman briefs (which are more for my benefit than his), whipped cream, and chocolate body paint (or sauce). Something tells me that he'll like it.
#24 Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I say go for massage oil. If you have an Origins counter near you, you can get really cool massagers that fit on your thumbs for $5.
#25 Old 02-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Massagers that go on your thumbs? What on earth? I thought that thumbs WERE massagers!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#26 Old 02-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

The best valentine gift I ever received from my husband was a small red staple gun

See, that is the kind of valentine's gift that I can get behind.

Flowers -- Sophie the cat eats them and knocks the vase over

Chocolate -- I get for myself when I want it, so it's not really a treat

Lacy knickers -- eh *shrug*

Staple gun -- w00t!! Bonus points for being red
#27 Old 02-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Massagers that go on your thumbs? What on earth? I thought that thumbs WERE massagers!

http://www.origins.com/templates/pro...%29%20Products
#28 Old 02-09-2004, 02:38 PM

I need a haircut badly. I scheduled one for Valentines Day. I also scheduled one for my step daughter as my gift to her (it's a surprise)...she's scheduled for a fancy updo. Then we'll go to dinner and a movie with her daddy. Daddy will get his gift later.
#29 Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM

Oh baby Ruthie!

Making my bf supper on Sunday (can't get a sitter for Saturday). He bought me Deep Space 9: Season 7 on DVD via ebay

DS9 purchase just happened to come around the same time as V-day, so I'm claiming it as a gift

I'm not big into V-day, so I don't get too involved in it. I don't expect $100 worth of flowers that will go bad in a week. Spend the money on a few nice plants for me.

My bf said that I take all the fun and romance out of holidays...but then I end up being really easy to buy for, so it balances out in the end hehe
#30 Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM

I'd love a rub down with melted chocolate......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page