The Surprise Pregnancy (or Pregnancy Scare) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Now that I have your attention....

Has anyone ever had a pregnancy that just seemed to come out of nowhere? I mean, obviously you know how it happened but it was still like BAM! Or perhaps you've had a good, intense scare where you were just positive that your life had just changed drastically, but then your period showed up.

I don't know if I'm pregnant now or not, but my period is late (it's always like clockwork) and I feel WEIRD. But it's not like I left my diaphragm in the nightstand drawer or anything, because I was as careful as I could be!

So, this is not so great. I'm trying to finish up school here! I'll take a pregnancy test first thing tomorrow morning (so my pee will be more concentrated, you know). I'm really nervous. I hope I can sleep tonight.

But I imagine that this has happened to more people than me. So share your tales of shock and suspense because it might help me keep my mind off of my own "issues."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh boy. I have a good story of a scare.

I was in my third year of college and I had just met my now finance. We had only been dating for a month at the time. I was 17 days late! 17! I am never that late. Of course I was freaking out because I had just met Dave and I thought I was pregnant. In fact, I had convinced myself so much that I was pregnant, that when I finally took a pregnancy test two weeks later and it came out negitive, I thought I had done it wrong. The next day I took another one and it was still negitive. The next day I got my period. Phew!

Anyways, that really freaked me out so I understand how you feel. I wish you good luck no matter what happens!
#3 Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

NC, my period is always late, and yet I have never even been sexually active (Yes, that means that I'm still a virgin, oy! )

Anyway, so I am never worried that mine is a pregnancy...

Since it sounds like you are working very hard in school, maybe stress is causing your trouble, I have read that stress is a common cause of irregular periods...

Just a thought...

I don't know what the in hell is wrong with mine!

But I do have a lot of anxiety...

See what happens after school calms down...

Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor if it keeps happening, though...

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a few scares. Looking back, I don't know why I was scared, because my period is not at all consistent (one little stressful event and it throws the whole thing off). We were using a condom and one of the times I was on birth control (my husband and I had a long distance relationship at the time--we would only see each other every few months). I really shouldn't have been nervous about it, but I guess I was. We weren't married at the time and didn't favor the idea of being unmarried and pregnant (my family wouldn't have been that supportive and it didn't help that my husband, then fiance, was more than 2,000 miles away).
#5 Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I had one once. I took a blood test and everything, but it just turned out my BC pills had messed up my hormones and I stopped getting my period. I mean I think I was about three weeks late by that time. That was scary. That was really the only time I had a scare though.
#6 Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My senior year of college, my period was 10 days late, but I wasn't sexually active (as in, having intercourse) at the time, though I did have a boyfriend, and we had been mutually naked... but then I got my period... for two straight months.

All in all, good times.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a couple of scares. Not fun. Those couple of minutes doing the pregnancy test seem like an eternity. Good luck NaturalChick. I know it's easier said than done but just relax as stress makes it worse. Keep us updated.
#8 Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

ha. both my kids are the result of "scares".

frankly, the decision making process that leads to deliberate procreating (as in, people TRYING to get pregnant) has always been and always will be, beyond me. heh. even more so now that i actually HAVE kids. seriously. why would anyone want to volunteer for this gig?
#9 Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I have had a couple of scares that turned out to be nothing and a couple that turned out to be children.

Every time that I really was newly pregnant, I felt as though I was going to start my period literally any minute. When I wasn't pregnant, I really didn't feel much of anything...but, I still worried.

A couple of times, I was just a week or so late. Who knows why? But once, I was exactly a month late...it came on the right date and everything. I thought I had to be pregnant that time, but I wasn't.

I hope that you get the result that you are looking for tomorrow morning.
#10 Old 01-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It was negative. So yay! I wonder where my period went off to. Maybe it was just stress. Around the time it was due I was having awful cramps and I felt like I would get it any minute. Now my stomach is just sort of a gurgly, slightly nauseous mess. But it gets like that sometimes anyway. The test was definitely as negative as could be though. I'll rest easy for a while.

Thanks everyone for your stories. I mentioned to my husband my concern and he got kindof serious for a moment, but then I could tell he totally forgot about it. We women have a lot of worry time to kill.
#11 Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

omg.. I think I was 16 or 17 and I was working on an major Economics project that counted as 40% of my grade. I happened to realize that I was a week late for my period. I was already stressed out to start with and then the pregnancy scare. eek! I remember I called Kids Help Phone and explained my situation. The girl said it was very common when you're under a lot of stress. That was awful.
#12 Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

i have serious shakti (or kundalini) movement in my second chakra and have for two months. it's very weird. periods are normal, but still, the incessant stirring is starting to get to me.
#13 Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a miscarriage (at about 10 weeks along) at 16, but didn't know (or was in denial) about being pregnant. I was late, but didn't think anything of it because it had happened before due to stress. I was hiding my relationship with my now husband from my father, and dealing with an evil stepmother, as well as all the other teenage stressors. Of course we were not using protection, so that was stupid.
#14 Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if my negative could have been false? I was about 15 days post ovulation, I think. At what point can you be pretty damn confident in the test?

(Can you tell that I'm wavering?)
#15 Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Off topic, but Christy13, how long have you been with your husband? Sounds like it was young love! I have known my husband since I was 15 (I'm 21 now) and everyone is shocked (some a bit horrified) at it. I don't meet too many other people that have a similar story, though.

I'm sorry about your miscarriage. Not that you were ready to be pregnant, but it was still probably an upsetting experience.
#16 Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

We met when I was 14 or 15, dated from 15 to 17, and got married 2 days after I turned 17. So, we've been married 12 years. I was relieved to miscarry because I didn't want kids then, and I don't want them now.

I think you can have a false negative, but not a false positive. Also, did you say you were on the pill? When I was on an "old school" higher dose pill, I would skip my period every other month. It was the strangest thing. Of course it freaked me out at first. Then I forgot to take it until the next morning and it threw everything out of whack.
#17 Old 01-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

When I skipped my period that time, the home test said I was not pregnant, but after a few weeks of not getting my period I just didn't believe it, so I saw my doctor.

I was indeed not pregnant.

So, I have never had a false negative on a pregnancy test. I think you can believe the test.
#18 Old 01-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Ana

With my first baby, I had three false negative tests before I finally got a positive one (8 weeks by then) which they then double checked with a scan to make sure. And yep, there was what looked like a jellybean jumping around in there.

Big fat surprise, he was. I was 21, halfway through university, dirty great drug habit, drinking like a fish... Luckily my body knew i was pregnant before I did, and wouldn't let me drink, smoke or anything else.

The second one I only found out about because my roommate had a scare and wanted me to take the test with her. So there's the two of us, in the restroom at a burger place (opposite the pharmacy, because we needed somewhere with two toilets to take the test at the same time) arguing about whether the line means you are or aren't pregnant. Turns out it was me, not her. Whoops again!

But I got two big strong healthy 10 pound boys, so can't complain at all, really. No, I wasn't planning them at all, wasn't at all ready to be a mom, but it was the best thing that happened.

Everything for a reason, yeah?

xxA
#19 Old 01-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Mushroom's story comforted me and Ana's terrified me! Hehe. I'm similar to you though Ana, in that I would really love my kiddos to death and my husband would too. It would just be crappy timing. Did you finish university?
#20 Old 01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Ana

Sure did! Scared the boys by breastfeeding in lectures, swapped the baby with my partner between lectures (we were both studying fulltime), rocked him to sleep at the back of classes, took him to tests...

And with number two I had my final exam for the year the day I was due. I got special treatment cos i was so hugely pregnant - I got to take toilet breaks, and go for cups of tea, and lie down when i needed to (bug fat tummy poking up over the rows of desks...)

I had one paper left to go, so i went back the next semester to finish it (baby in tow) and people said "oh, you lost so much weight over the summer. Oh, whose baby is that?". Well, duh!

I've done postgrad study since then too (twice).

Yeah, it was crappy timing in some ways (no money, living with junkies in a dirty old house) but it was what got me clean and made me grow up. I don't think i would have finished studying if i hadn't had them, and probably would never have achieved anything.

xxA
#21 Old 01-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

ana:

awesome story!

NC: you could go to the doctor and get the test done. doesn't take much. maybe 24 hours to get results?

and for me, if we were preggers, we'd be fine with it. We'd have to go into serious debt, i'd have to do more work, and i'd really have to rely on my parents and in laws (bleh) for things. BUT, it would work out. and we'd have fun.

but, i do want the shakti to stop moving. it tickles.
#22 Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. You can get a false negative. The hormones in some women's bodies take longer to show up, though its not common, I have known women whove had flase negatives the entire first trimester.

I have never known anyone (though its probably possible) to have a false positive.

I had a scare or two in my teen years. The depressing thing now is, the doctors later discovered that my scares where when I was having irregular cycles due to some female problems. I may never be able to concieve. Ive been on an infertility treatment waiting list for several months, and now my job is making so that I will have to wait at least another year and a half to really try...
#23 Old 01-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My old roommate and I used to joke about opening a "paranoia" store where you could buy pregnancy tests by the case, just to have around...

Twice I was sure I was pregnant...both with same guy and while on the pill. The first time turned out to the the effects of a prescription drug withdrawal. I took pregnancy tests over and over, didn't believe the negative result, and so my boyfriend took me to a doctor. I thought my life was ending... The second time, I didn't really have a good reason to be pregnant, and yet I just felt like it was so. Really felt that it was true...and instead of being scared, I felt calm and maybe even happy in a very strange way. I got a pregnancy test and wasn't even frightened, but when I saw the negative stripe, I snapped out of it and wondered WHAT in hell I had been thinking...
#24 Old 01-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had a false negative, but I've heard of people who have. LOL. Two unplanned pregnancies though. The first in my mid twenties, I was drinking a LOT and totally unprepared. And as luck would have it, I miscarried early on. The second was after I was married a year and a half, still drinking, but luckily I 'knew' early on (got naseaus suddenly after lighting a match for a fire....so weird), so I was able to stop drinking very early.

My daughter is now six years old. I wasn't 'ready' for her. But having her and learning to be a Mom is how I got ready. Who's ever 'ready' for these little people?

B
#25 Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

It is possible to get a false negative just as you can get a false positive. Each woman is different and has different levels of the BGC hormone and produces it at a different rate when she becomes pregnant. Try another home pregnancy test in a couple of days. You can always go to the doctor and get a blood test done. Good luck and keep us updated
#26 Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Period started today. Sorry for the commotion. Thanks for all your thoughts and stories!
#27 Old 01-23-2004, 01:13 AM

OMG .. this is so funny that you girls would post this and I'm sitting here 6 months preggo with an "accident"! Anyway.. I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for 2, 2 1/2 years before I skipped my period one month. I went to the doctor to see what was up and she said since I was perfectly healthy with no stress at the time, she switched me to Levlen.. which is a stronger type of medicine. (or so I thought) Anyway.. the whole 5 or 6 months I was on Levlen I always got my period 10 -12 days late or not at all.

I must've gone through 20 pregnancy tests that were all negative.. and I could'nt get back into my doctor's for another month or so .. so I finally gave up. I took my pill EVERYnight before bed like clockwork.. so that and my fiance's support finally convinced myself to stop worrying and that my body would get used to the new pills eventually.

Well, July I never got my period, August I never got my period, and September my boobs started getting really sensitive and I was always tired. I called my doctor and she somehow fit me in right away.. and she gave me a blood pregnancy test that came out POSITIVE! I wanted to sue the company that made my pills!!!! I wasn't ready to be a mom ..My fiance wasn't ready to be a dad either!! We had just gotten engaged on our 2 year anniversary the week before this surprise.. so it was a stressful time for me.

As soon as I had my first u/s though.. we both got really happy. Once we saw our baby on the screen moving around and they said he was perfectly healthy, we started to get excited. Now my fiance can't stop talking about what a great hockey player our son will be, and I've already registered for all my baby stuff I'll need. Now I'm happy.. happy I'm 22 and this "accident" didn't happen back when I started having sex at 17.. but it was definitely scary and I was very depressed for a while.

My advice to all you ladies out there.. take your pill.. get your shot..change your patch or whatever you use .. and most importantly, KNOW YOUR OWN BODY! Stress and diet along with a lot of other things may affect your period while you are still perfectly protected by your birth control. I was just the lucky 1% that the pill didn't work for..the other 99% of you can wait to have babies when you're good and ready;
#28 Old 01-23-2004, 01:15 AM

Hehehe that was a really long post... sorry! Now you all know my story though!
#29 Old 01-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

it might also be helpful for people to understand their cycle, how it works, when to know if they're fertile (even if they're on the pill), since the body still goes through the cycle, even if they dont' complete ovulation (which is how those forms of BC work).

by studying these things, you can be extra precautious around that time of the month (also, some may doule and triple ovulate in a month--like me!). Also, just because you're on the pill doesn't mean that you're not ovulating occassionally (a few times a year). so, a barrier protection as a back up is a good idea. Using condoms, film, or some other secondary form of protection will help.

I know that i haven't been having sex very long (only 6 years or so), but i haven't had any scares yet because i do watch my ovulation very carefully (and even take ovulation tests if i'm concerned about my second or third ovulation of the month) and avoid sex during those days/nights. Also, when i'm not ovulating, we're sure to use film and condoms.

And yes, sex is still fun. (since everyone asks that!)
#30 Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

DirtDiva, Thanks for your post! What a sweet story, your fiance sounds like such a cute dad and you will be a wondeful mother I'm sure. Even when babies aren't convenient I find it hard to not want them. What a joy this baby will be to you (already is)! Looking at them (like you did on the ultrasound) always puts things in perspective. Congratulations and best wishes for an easy, healthy pregnancy.

zoe, I use FAM in partnership with a diaphragm. I had stopped temping this month out of stupidity and I'm sure if I had done it right I would have KNOWN that I ovulated unusually late and I wouldn't have worried. How did you know for a fact that you ovulate several times a month? Is it your understanding that this increases your likelihood of concieving multiples or simply of getting pregnant? How far apart are your ovulations? My understanding was that multiple ovulations were typically about 24 hours apart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page