Growing up stinks! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Sorry to be so negative, but it's really not growing up in general that is freaking me out (I love the idea of aging, being wiser (much), and having grandkids!) but what am I gonna do with my life? I'm 19 yrs. old and a sophomore in college....I love school and learning, but I just don't know what I want to "be." Ok, I know what I want to be: a musician who can do it for a living, but I'm smart enough to know I need a back-up plan, plus I think having a degree is very important. So, my question is everyone who has a job they like (and hopefully some who even LOVE)...what did you do to find out that was right for you? I know you can take a bunch of silly assessment tests, but they give you like a list of 1000 jobs and that doesn't help matters much. I was just wondering. When I was in high school, I interned at a veterinary clinic because I thought I wanted to be a vet but then realized it wasn't for me...I also volunteered and "Mother House," an organization that helps young kids who need a nice, fun place to stay while their parents are in crisis (drugs, abuse, etc.) I don't know....my dad's been pestering me a lot lately too because I go to a junior college so I need to find a 4-yr college on top of everything else! BLECH....Just to give you an idea of how many things I think I'd be happy doing, here's a list : Psychologist, English Teacher, Science Teacher, Environmentalist, zoologist, Marine Biologist (maybe), Photographer, Journalist (writer), MUSICIAN, working for a non-profit organization, and the list goes on.... Anyways, sorry to blab..I'm just freaking out, and have soo much to think about. I just would like suggestions, maybe some ideas on how to straighten this mess in my head and heart out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey..I'm 26 and I still don't know what I "want to be". Do what makes you happy. If you want to be an English Teacher... go for it. I've taken a few different university & college courses and they've helped me narrow down what I want to do. I wanted to be a psychologist at one time but after taking a few courses, I realized it wasn't for me. Now I'm taking courses for Industrial Relations and Human Resources and I love it. Do what you like.. not what you think that you have to do.
#3 Old 01-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! You still got a couple of years! I graduate in 10 weeks and I have no idea what I'm going to do afterwards! During school I'm so busy that I really haven't had time to set up interviews and things like that. I do have a job to go to when I graduate...but I'd like to find something else. I think I'm going to stay with that job for a bit and travel for a bit before I decide what I'm really going to do. Like you, I can see myself going into several different things...I'm also undecided about grad school...teaching crudential school...or starting the career thing already. I do know I'm working before more school - I haven't applied anywhere yet!

I do agree that volunteer work, jobs and interships are the best way to narrow down what you don't want to do though. I'm much better at deciding what I don't want to do than deciding what I do want to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i think your goal of making a living as a musician is a great idae. there are lots of different sorts of jobs for professional musicians, and there are many people who do that as well as many other things.

one of my students is a professional musician. he has gigs in bars, coffeehouses, quaker meetings, and does opening acts for a lot of regional folk bands. he does performances for us at the studio, which gets him gigs at people's parties and weddings and stuff. He also does a lot of work with the local theater, and a myriad of other groups. He's quite good, and enjoys his work greatly. He teaches guitar and has recently opened a 'guitar' studio with other friends. They offer lessons (private or group), they have their own recording studio, and they both rent and sell equipment.

They may do the recordings of my yoga classes that i'm planning.

anyway, he's a professional musician and enjoys himself greatly. I know another young woman who is a university professor who performs often, is part of our area chamber orchestra (and gets paid for that), as well as does work with a smaller orchestra doing events at various museums, parties, weddings, churches, etc. She really enjoys that.

Another friend of mine is a studio musician in philly. most musicians that you know who come out of philly he's either trained, worked with, or produced. Mary J Blighe is one such person, as is "lil kim." he plays about a zillion instruments, and does very well.

You may want to look into communication degrees, music degrees with teaching aspects, or similar. If you really want to be a musician, then be one and don't worry about security or whatever. the universe will provide for you one way or another.

I mean, i'm not raking in the dough here being a yoga teacher. BUT, i do love my job greatly. I'll eventually make money, but i'm not terribly focused on it. i can suppor tmyself and that's good enough.
#5 Old 01-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I am 25 and I still don't know what I want to do when I 'grow up'!!! I will have my Masters degree by the summer and thought of finding a job is scary stuff. I know the first job I will have will probably not be the greatest. I take comfort in the fact that I will probably do many things in my career, changing jobs every couple of years. It's a chance to try new things. You'll find something you absolutely love. Have confidence.
#6 Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait...we have to grow up? Damn why didn't anyone tell me this when I turned 23...
#7 Old 01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

You have to do something that you're good at, not just what "seems like a good idea."The job market is so competitive you have to be good at what you do.

If you have any designs on making a lot of money, DON'T, I repeat, DO NOT become a journalist. Unless you are good at that sort of thing, and/or have a real passion for it. What they don't tell you in movies is that something like 90% of working journalists actually make a wage similar to a walmart employee. And that's even after 10+ years of employment!
#8 Old 01-12-2004, 09:54 PM

It's so annoying! I dont really know what i want to "be" either, although I do know I'd love a job in the journalism field (specifically Radio Broadcasting), but I'm sick of hearing from my family that that's dumb, as it's so competitive etc.. well I'm competitive.. and I wouldn't stop myself from doing something I wanted to do because its "too hard"!

I have to chose my subjects soon (in a week, Well techniquely I should have chosen them in November, so I might end up missing out on the subjects I want). The reason I keep putting it off is because I don't want to chose the wrong subjects!
#9 Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm one of those lucky souls who find their forte early on... I know EXACTLY what I want to do, and I'm not yet out of high school. (I know, everyone will think "Oh, she'll change her mind..." but passions aren't like that. I won't go into that now. )

I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. You still have quite a while to experiment with different majors and decide what is really for you... Take a large range of classes in college and see what you like -- then take more of that kind of class. Just keep on trying on different things until you find something that fits.
#10 Old 01-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Straight out of college I didn't know what I wanted to do so I took a job with the service organization AmeriCorps and was later hired on by the company I was working for. AmeriCorps was shut down by George Bush though, so now I have no suggestions for you.
#11 Old 01-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Americorps was shut down? I had no idea, a close friend of mine did a stint with them for awhile..
#12 Old 01-13-2004, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Danny, radio's not dumb, but your parents are right, it IS highly competetive and the pay is not good.

At radio stations in small cities in Canada most of the work is part time, and pays not much above minimum wage. That's to be an on-air personality. You can make more if you get a job with a major national news broadcaster (in canada that would be the CBC) but it's SO competitive... if you want to have a shot at it you really have to get yourself into the best radio broadcasting program you can find. I think a handful (2-3) of my graduating class (out of 90) went into radio after four years of University in one of the country's top journalism schools. Of course everything could be completely different where you are (Aus or NZ right?)

If it's your thing and you can be good at it, then go for it. You will need to put a lot into it though. And it's always a good idea to know what you're getting yourself into.
#13 Old 01-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

JoyFuLGurL7

Don't worry about it your so young.

It took me years to find my niche. I always thought it would be just one thing for me but it wasn't.
#14 Old 01-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

besides, 5 years into your first career you'll be ready for something new anyway. ; )

(or maybe it's just me)
#15 Old 01-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFuLGurL7 View Post

So, my question is everyone who has a job they like (and hopefully some who even LOVE)...what did you do to find out that was right for you?

I discovered my love for technology very early on, and I pretty much knew that this would be the field I'd be working in. Still I had no idea what I wanted to be. I was in uni, but I wasn't particularly happy with my situation. I knew I didn't belong there, so I was just cruising along, somewhat phlegmatically, and mildly disgusted with the way universities work. But then an opportunity came along and my life took a turn.

It's strange, but in a way, I instinctively knew this would happen sooner or later - I never ever paniced about "what should I do with my life". I knew the opportunities would come, and I wanted to be ready for them. I dropped out of uni and started my own business and I am very happy with this decision. It was the best thing that happened to me in my life so far.

My advice is, that no matter what you do (i.e. get a degree "just in case"), you should further develop your skills and keep your eyes and mind wide open. Chances are you will have opportunities to do what you feel you want to do. Don't see your life as something that will be decided in the next few months (or even years). Life doesn't work like this.

I do very much agree with having a backup plan i.e. opting for a degree and career in a field that you're interested in. But avoid becoming narrow-minded, and life will reward you with chances to make something really cool out of it!
#16 Old 01-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I dropped out of high school and started a career in web development.

I never got a GED, never went to college, and I make more than almost all of my family combined.

I'm an inspiration to everyone. HAHA.

Needless to say I love my job, and I don't miss not being grown up, because I still go out to clubs and party on weekends, alchohol is wonderful for making you feel like a teenager again. hehe. And it is great to have things of your own (having a house, a car, your own furniture, DVD, and CD collection, and having kids (cats) who depend on you)
#17 Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM

Being a teenager vs. being an adult..both have their pros and cons *shrugs*
#18 Old 01-13-2004, 03:19 PM

reality hit me hard recently, i'm a junior in an expensive (31k+) a year college. I know i won't get my "dream" job coming out of college, especially since i have no clue what that is...at this point i'm desperate for any job. the first 5 years of your life after college will suck. you'll be the lowest rung of the professional ladder, your job is just there to pay your loans, hopefully you'll find something you will like from that. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on trying to pick your major for a 4 year college now, things will change, you have plenty of time. sorry i'm so neg. just my opinion.
#19 Old 01-13-2004, 03:46 PM

I'm kind of in the same position. Right now i'm in 3rd year pre-optometry (which is just generally sciences that you need to get into optometry school) and i'm kind of realizing that i don't want to be an optometrist at all... i think i want to work with children and special-needs people. My problem is that i may have wasted 3 years of my life and $30 000 (mostly in government loans) doing something i don't want to do. Plus, i'm not even sure what i really want to do. So, anyway, i guess i really don't have any advice for you, but i just wanted to let you know you're not alone on this at all. Good luck figuring stuff out!!
#20 Old 01-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the input, everyone. The only problem with being a professional musician without actually BEING sucessful (record deal, or at least an nice indie contract) is the fact that I'm a self-taught musician. I sing and play piano, I front an exerimental-garage-core indie band...haha if that makes sense. I don't think I would like to teach music, because I just don't know enough and wouldn't enjoy learning all the technical stuff. As for all of my other interests, I just wish I could do it all...honestly, I may be in college for another 20 yrs. just so I can do all of them with a degree or certificate. However, this isn't possible because I'm not a trillionaire, so I guess I'll just have to find my own way. It's just so hard because when I think "Yeah, this is it...I could do this for the rest of my life, or at least a long time," something else will pop into my head or renew itself as better. Everyone's responses were really helpful because it made me realize that I am young and do have a lot of time to figure it out, and maybe I'll find my way naturally. I think my dad just puts pressure on me because I'm the first one on BOTH sides of the family to actually get through more than a year before I dropped out. He just wants me to know my way so I don't get frustrated and give up. From the time I was about 11, I thought I knew what I wanted to do up until about 8 months ago. I was set to be a psychologist/psychiatrist because I truly love listening and helping people. However, this just isn't the case anymore because I just don't know if that's my #2 passion (number 1 being music, of course)....aaaah! Not knowing stinks too...
#21 Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm having the same problem and I'm 25. I'm alost done with nail tech school right now, so I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do, but the problem is there are so many other things I want to do too, and it's depressing knowing I just don't have time.
#22 Old 01-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Most people don't actually end up working in the field they have their degree in. If you like the sciences, like you mentioned, I would pick something in that before photography, since it carries a bit more weight.
#23 Old 01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I am 28, have two degrees in music and I am not using either at the moment. I have no idea what I want to "be" either. I still love music and eventually I would like to try and work in that field, but with the economy and all - it is pretty tough. I am pretty mixed up at the moment. All I do know is that I don't want to make front desk administrator my lifelong occupation. Right now I have been reading a lot of self help books. JoyFulGirl - since you are still in college, I would suggest taking different classes (perhaps as electives) of things that interest you. Talk to different professors in the different areas that interest you to find out the types of jobs available in each field - the different professors would also be a good resource to help you find a four year college - since not every college is good at everything. Good Luck and don't panic - I think everyone goes through this sort of thing.
#24 Old 01-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought that I would like to teach, but the sad truth of bratty kids and crap pay kept me away from that field. I was in the same boat as you 8 years ago.

I realized I was stacking up huge student loans, but had no idea what I really wanted to do with my life. So I joined the military to get some idea of what I wanted to do with my life. I hadnt really thought Id stay in, but, I got used to the job security and having great benifits. Now, I am an instructor still in the AF. I was right when I was younger and thought Id like to teach, I just had to go half way around the world to trust myself. I have an associates in computers and only need to finish the paperwork to get my associates in technical intruction. Now I just have to decide what to do after this enlistment. Get out and keep teaching, or stay in till 20 then get out and teach. I dont think the questions ever end on what you should do next. Dont think that deciding on one thing now is locking you into that field for the rest of your life. Most folks will go through a number of careers. I took several psych classes in night college courses and even started my practicum in psych only to discover I hated it...LOL. I dont think the time was wasted. I was learning something and it helps me deal with people. No knowledge is wasted. Also, dont feel like you have to make a career out of all your interests. Sometimes, half the fun of a thing is that it's a hobby. Trying to make money from a hobby can sometimes ruin for you what you once loved....
#25 Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

JoyfulGurl,

I'm in my third year of college, still majorless....I just can't seem to find something I want to dedicate more years of schooling to. I recommend talking to a counselor at your college-sometimes they can really help. My counselor is amazing and she has helped me narrow down some choices so far. The list that you gave of what you'd be happy doing sounds JUST like my list! It is so tough when you have so many interests...Good luck!
#26 Old 01-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

JoyfulGurl,

I'm in my third year of college, still majorless....I just can't seem to find something I want to dedicate more years of schooling to. I recommend talking to a counselor at your college-sometimes they can really help. My counselor is amazing and she has helped me narrow down some choices so far. The list that you gave of what you'd be happy doing sounds JUST like my list! It is so tough when you have so many interests...Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response, it helped ease some of my tension quite a bit. I guess it's just such a huge responsibilty to put on someone.....Go to college and figure out what the love of your life is, your passion, your calling, and stick to it for as long as possible. Of course, I know this doesn't always happen, but I'm sure it is amazing when it does. Right now, I'm enrolled in Environmental Science and I loooooove it. I was always interested in this and tried to learn as much as I could at my own pace on my own, but actually being in a class has really opened my eyes. for some silly reason, I thought that being in the "environmental field" meant only focusing on plants, and the earth, not including everything on it, but after just a few weeks of studying it, I realized you get to work with all species: mammals, humans, and plants. It really seems like something for me. However, I don't know if I'm up for that much math Right now, I'm looking for a book my teacher suggested that gives lists of hundreds of jobs relating to this field, and I can't wait to pick it up and see what the possbilities are. OF course, I'm still nervous and confused, but it's nice to have a little bit more of a grasp on something.
#27 Old 01-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFuLGurL7 View Post

Thanks so much for your response, it helped ease some of my tension quite a bit. I guess it's just such a huge responsibilty to put on someone.....Go to college and figure out what the love of your life is, your passion, your calling, and stick to it for as long as possible. Of course, I know this doesn't always happen, but I'm sure it is amazing when it does. Right now, I'm enrolled in Environmental Science and I loooooove it. I was always interested in this and tried to learn as much as I could at my own pace on my own, but actually being in a class has really opened my eyes. for some silly reason, I thought that being in the "environmental field" meant only focusing on plants, and the earth, not including everything on it, but after just a few weeks of studying it, I realized you get to work with all species: mammals, humans, and plants. It really seems like something for me. However, I don't know if I'm up for that much math Right now, I'm looking for a book my teacher suggested that gives lists of hundreds of jobs relating to this field, and I can't wait to pick it up and see what the possbilities are. OF course, I'm still nervous and confused, but it's nice to have a little bit more of a grasp on something.

Well it sounds like you found a potential major! It's funny because today I couldn't stop checking out all these environmental websites! I couldn't tear myself away from the screen, I was reading all these interesting articles, etc... It's something I'm very passionate about along w/animals. I took a class called Humans and the Environment a year ago, and I really loved the class, but it was too bad that my teacher wasn't the best And I didn't learn as much as I wanted. I wish I could take it again!!

Is math a big part of your class? That is my worst subject!
#28 Old 01-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

Well it sounds like you found a potential major! It's funny because today I couldn't stop checking out all these environmental websites! I couldn't tear myself away from the screen, I was reading all these interesting articles, etc... It's something I'm very passionate about along w/animals. I took a class called Humans and the Environment a year ago, and I really loved the class, but it was too bad that my teacher wasn't the best And I didn't learn as much as I wanted. I wish I could take it again!!

Is math a big part of your class? That is my worst subject!

Yes, it is and I am HORRIBLE at math as well. It really gets the best of me. However, I guess I'll have to tough through it if this is something I really wann do. But like I said, I haven't reviewed all of my options in the Environmental field, so maybe some jobs require less math than others. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page