Anyone else have family in the meat industry? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Warning, some graphic talk.

It concerned me as an omni when my parents went in with my sister and her husband and bought a chicken farm, but as you can imagine it has been disturbing me more lately as I've become reacquainted with how the industry works.

I visited there last year and it wasn't as bad as videos I've seen online, but of course, it's still no picnic for the birds. Thank goodness, they weren't in battery cages, they walk around in a big shed. They fly up to these nest boxes to lay their eggs. These eggs are actually taken away to raise as meat chickens.

There are some very sad parts about the farm too, as to be expected. One instance is that when they recieve the initial delivery of layer chickens, some are missexed and so they simply walk around, finding these roosters and wringing their necks. Also, my understanding is that the chicken poop just keeps piling up for 8 months until it is cleaned up by some kind of backhoe or something (at that point, the layers are taken for slaughter).

My parents know I've been eating strict vegetarian lately, but they also know it was started as a way to become healthier. That's been changing as I watched Earthlings and have doing more online research.

I guess in the end, it becomes one more thing I decide to stop talking about when I visit my family. It seems like the number of forbidden topics grows all the time. We are very different in some ways.

They are SPO's too, particularly my sister. When a dog gets sick, they shoot them kind of mentality.

I guess I just wanted to write this down where some other people would understand. It's distressing and I'm not sure how to deal with my family who seems to be getting worse over the years regarding their treatment of animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 PM

Well, my family's very different from me too. When I decided to go vegetarian there was a disgusting quarrel at home: My parents and sister would shout at me telling me horrible things about my decisions and they wouldn't stop saying that animals do exist to be eaten by humans, that vegetables also suffer from pain, that they wouldn't let me be a vegetarian as it's a weakness and that they also wanted to know who I had been brainwashed by. My dad even threatend to kick me out of the house. And my parents/sister stopped talking to me for some days. Luckily, my dad has given up meat now (Because he thinks that my ovo-vegetarian diet is healthier than the one he had), he even drinks soy milk instead of cow milk when we have breakfast together. My mum is also nicer to me now, she even spends long hours in the kitchen trying vegetarian recipes and every night we have a vegetarian dinner all together. But going back to your question, no, I don't have family in the meat industry but my grandfather used to be a hunter, his best friend is a butcher and my grandmother used to have some kind of a poultry yard in her garden, where there were lots of chickens in the same cage for the rest of their lives with only one aim: producing eggs.
#3 Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM

I personally dont..... but my friend Leesa was Veggie for a Few Months Till A Beef Sammie Called her name...he dad is a butcher and she always felt guilty that she was hurting him and his shop by eating Veggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunatelly, I have several relatives (distant relatives) on the meat industry. Me and my parents/sister rarely visit them but, when we do, some of them ridicularize me the most they can and they even say that people like me (i.e. vegetarians and vegans) are trying to destroy their business. It's pretty sad how insensitive they are.

Fortunatelly, my parents aren't on that industry, they understand my points and always defend me. My parents aren't vegetarians but appreciate my choice: my parents/sister eat vegetarian meals with me when I visit them and my sister is willing to try vegetarianism.

In short, I have some family in the meat industry but we aren't close. Anyway, it's always very sad to know that I have relatives who work for it
#5 Old 09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My wife's sister is married to a cattle rancher so family gatherings are usually pretty awkward...but lots of fun when their kids want to try our veggie food!
#6 Old 09-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

My wife's sister is married to a cattle rancher so family gatherings are usually pretty awkward...but lots of fun when their kids want to try our veggie food!

Kiran, I see now the method...lure them into submission with their stomachs? \t
#7 Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont think anyone in my family works in the industry. You could use it to your advantage, next time someone tells you all chickens are happy and all these bad things are made up by peta you can say youve seen it for yourself! My ex's mum used to work picking up eggs and i've heard things from her that make me know that these videos are not made up!
#8 Old 09-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

My aunt's beau runs a Tyson chicken farm.
#9 Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post

Kiran, I see now the method...lure them into submission with their stomachs? \t

Hey, its not intentional but we always seem to make extra so...
#10 Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

this might sound silly, but what's an SPO?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

this might sound silly, but what's an SPO?

It's an internet term, "Stupid Pet Owner". People who don't do their research, don't get their animals to a vet, house them outside. Often there's no abuse going on that you could call a humane society about, it's just not an ideal situation for animals.

Such as housing a dog on a chain to a doghouse 24/7

Or declawing a cat, then letting it outside
#12 Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Ah! Thank you

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#13 Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

My FIL runs a small dairy farm. He's great with the cows but has no problems selling them to the slaughter house when they stop giving milk. But the family is very respectful of my vegan lifestyle and even made me a great vegan dinner last time I ate over at their house. We don't talk about AR stuff at all, as you can imagine.
#14 Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM

I really feel for you that must be incredibly hard knowing they support such a horrible industry. I'm not sure what advice to give because i'm not in the same situation at all but i'm glad you can vent here at least I also don't know what an SPO is??!
#15 Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Riot Nrrrd

He's retired now, but my paternal grandfather was a slaughterhouse worker. Like most of my family he rationalizes my dietary choices as health concerns (he readily, almost enthusiastically, says my way o' eatin is better than his from that standpoint). We don't talk about the primarily ethical reasons I don't eat meat ... to be honest I think the concept is just too foreign for him to even formulate a question about it, let alone hold up half a conversation.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page