Dating a hunter? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Lots of folks on here seem to think that most people are unenlightened hypocrites. I've known many meat eaters that don't hunt but are very well aware of their choices. So, in this case are these aware store bought meat eaters still better than a hunter who eats what he kills? People seem to think that most people just need to be brought to their senses. There are definitely folks up that vein, but many are aware and still make the meat eating choice.

Someone who has witnessed the cruel process first-hand and still continues to eat meat (and other animal products) out of indifference is not psychologically or morally much different from a hunter.

They may cause less suffering to animals though, than a hunter.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Someone who has witnessed the cruel process first-hand and still continues to eat meat (and other animal products) out of indifference is not psychologically or morally much different from a hunter.

They may cause less suffering to animals though, than a hunter.

I disagree with the 2nd thing. A hunter will kill an animal that has been living in nature. A person buying meat from a store (unless they buy organic or whatever) runs a much higher chance of that meat coming from more pain and suffering. Plus, you can look at the much more massive amount of energy used in livestock over wild game.

The Big Bad.
#33 Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Beginner

I met my first husband just as I was becoming a vegetarian. He knew I wouldn't have a relationship with a hunter (I only went out with him at first just to get out of the house because I was dealing with some issues and needed to get out) so he gave up hunting for me. At first I thought it was the greatest thing, but it turns out it was the worst thing he could have done. His family gave him grief, his friends gave him grief, and they all disliked me because I "made" him give it up. Throughout our entire marriage this was a real sore subject with us because I could tell he resented me for his choice even though I was up front from the beginning and he made his own choice.

Our marriage only lasted 2 years. I admit I was foolish for marrying him with this issue always being a thorn in our relationship, but unless you know for sure you can accept someone as they are FULLY then don't get involved with them.

So if I had to answer this question now, no way in hell would I date a hunter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 PM

I am a hypocrite....or feel like one cause I wouldnt date a hunter....but my fiancee fishes....I hate that too..but hunting would be a deal breaker totally.
#35 Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

If it were me I would go on a hunting date with him and his fam and accidentally mistake them all for squirrels.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#36 Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post

i would much rather date someone who could at least potentially have compassion for animals and is just ignorant and conditioned to detach the steak from the animal, than someone who is not detached and knows exactly what he's doing to those animals, and still decides and continues to do it.

+1
#37 Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelineNine View Post

Quick question regarding how one would go about dating a hunter...

The same as with anyone else, but you have to put your ethics aside in order to be with him otherwise you're going to be arguing about it a lot of the time. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near a guy that hunts. I'm generalising here obviously, (although it's something that I find to be true), but men who like hunting tend to like lots of other macho things that I find unattractive and piss me off, so guys like that are not even on my radar.

m8itcanw8.com
#38 Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 AM

tough question. i would never be able to. if he hunted because he didn't want to support factory farming and animal cruelty I would understand and respect it. my problem is that most hunters hunt because they like it, they ENJOY going out and killing an animal, and i could never, ever respect someone like that so it wouldn't work for me.
#39 Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 AM

But does it matter if he is a hunter? I don't care.

But this is a good chance for you to test him if he is really caring you.If he loves you very much and you are into him, you could discuss your feeling with him, and influence him on noting killing innocent animals, they are as lovely and rare creatures as human being on the earth. We should protect and respect them. If he accepts your advice, he is the guy that you should care for and consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page