Great step-granparents - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Every couple of weeks or so, me, my mum, sister and stepdad go to my stepgrandparents (my stepdads parents) house for dinner.

Waaaay before I became vegetarian, I was told they don't really cater for vegetarians, so I was really anxious about telling them.

When I told them, they were really accepting and generally awesome about it.

The first time we went since I became veg, they made me a seperate shepherd's pie with vege mince, the second time they made me a rather delicious vegetable quiche.

I know they don't read this, but I just wanna say that even if they're not blood relatives, some, if not most, people, are generally awesome to vegetarians.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

That's really nice to hear. My in-laws (hubby's parents) are much more accommodating of my food choices than my own mother so I know what you mean.
#3 Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

that's really sweet of them yay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 PM

thats awesome....I have awesome supportive people around me and it means the world to me.
#5 Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Awesome!
#6 Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Beginner

That's fantastic.

I've been very lucky, most of the people in my life have been fine with it, and my mother has been wonderful- didn't bat an eyelid when I told her and never once tried to talk me out of it. She even sends me vegan recipes and when I finished my exams she tried to find a company that delivered vegan cakes or cookies as a present! How good is that?! She understands that for me, animals are as important as people. She and her partner also aren't huge meat eaters, a lot of their meals are vegetarian and she recently asked me how to prepare tofu because they wanted to try it. They're pretty progressive. I know that when I go to NZ to stay with them there'll be no food-related angst and no forcing meat dishes onto me, so yeah. Very lucky.
#7 Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome!!!!

My stepgrandma is also really good about my vegetarianism. She is a spectacular cook and she changed a bunch of her standard recipes for all our holiday meals. She stopped adding bacon to things and she started using veggie stock instead of chicken stock for everything. Whenever we have dinner there is always one main meat dish and many, many, many veggie sides. It's so sweet and as she's noticed how happy and healthy I am, and how great I look she's become interested in the concepts herself. She's trying to cut down on her meat and that winds up rubbing off on everyone she cooks for.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Aw that's so sweet Some people are brilliant aren't they?!

My boyfriend's family are generally more accepting of me being a vegan than my own family are, it's really odd. The only people in my family that readily accept my choice in this respect are one of my brothers and my sister in law...and 2 of their children too really cos they ADORE my vegan cakes/cookies etc. My mother doesn't really "get it" but she never says nasty things about me being a vegan. But my other brother does...and his fiancee and 2 kids think it's weird. All my other relatives like aunts/uncles, cousins etc. aren't very open minded with this except for one cousin who is great
#9 Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM

wow that's great!

my family didnt support me at all when i became vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page