A very nervous kitten... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Beginner

Hello there.

I just got a new kitten, and he is very, very nervous. He's hiding behind the armchair at the moment, which I heard is normal behaviour for the first few days/weeks. However I also have a dog, who has been surrounded by cats all her life and won't hurt him intentionally and I can't keep her locked outside while he settles in.

I just wondered if you guys had any advice on what I should do.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear it's good to keep the cat in one room for a while, so you can just keep your dog out of that one room.
#3 Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

Put him in his own room (even a bathroom if space is a factor) with everything he needs. In a few days he should be eager to explore the rest of his new home and to ignore his dog sister. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Beginner

Will he get used to us that way?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
#5 Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcoftime View Post

He'll fall in love with you in no time and might even learn to like the dog.
#6 Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Be sure to visit 'his' room more than you usually do, though (especially if it's a bathroom)! Just spend time around him being all gentle and quiet, talk to him softly, sit in there and read a book (so you're around but not 'bothering' him), try to get him to play, etc.

Good luck!
#7 Old 07-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

does he have little toys? String and balled up paper is perfect. My adult cats still love those
#8 Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Beginner

A little room, is at the moment, out of the question as the only suitable one (the bathroom) is currently being redecorated and there are looooads of chemicals floating about. And the dog has been in all of the others, and I'm worried her scent will make him nervous. However we are playing with him, and he's grown very attached to the little fishing toy we've got for him and he seems to be settling in a little bit at least. He's eaten some food, and if we have the toy in our hands he doesn't seem to be bothered by our faces. My dog is still blissfully aware of him, but he caught a sight of her and unfortunately my finger got the brunt of it. Not so painful now...

#9 Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Kittens get over fears very quickly, the younger the better. I had an 8 week foster feral kitten last fall. In the 2.5 weeks I had him he went from fearfull to annoying. The first few days I left him at the clinic I worked at to get him used to humans. We would go to his cage and pick him up and stroke him. Then I took him home to my two dogs and two cats. The first few days he hid under my vanity, but then he started exploring. Eventually he was sleeping on the bed between my BF and I, playing with my little kitty, and running past my dogs. He was even stealing dog food with my girl dog watching him (not sure why he was still eating wtih her watching, after all, the other cats run when she comes to defend her food).
#10 Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Beginner

Just an update: He's still very nervous but he's ventured out more now. He's discovered he likes the tassles on the rug, and he's been trying to go upstairs but they're quite steep with gaps, so I'm loathe to let him upstairs now. The stray we feed came in earlier today, and initially there was hissing and growling but after a while they just sat staring at each other and when KitKat got bored (as she's prone to do) he seemed to relax a bit more. Then the dog showed and up the hissing recommenced, he's still nowhere used to her and she's finally discovered somethings up. He's favourite place is still under the setee though, whenever anything shocks him, although he has discovered a little nook under the piano too. We've called him Merlin!

Thanks for all your help guys, keep it coming because I would love to keep him!

#11 Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Awhh.. Merlin is a cute name (:

I think he and your dog just need to get used to each other.. this situation happens a lot and is almost always resolved.

Keep us updated! =D
#12 Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Well Merlin is really coming out of his shell now. I've been at work all day, so I have no idea how he's been today, however getting home about 10 minutes ago, he's a little bundle of energy. He is pouncing on the carpet and running away with my wiimote. =S. He's a crazy little kitty!

#13 Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

Here's a picture of Merlin!

EDIT: Forgot to add, this is the first time he spotted my Chins, as you can see it is difficult to get his attention!

#14 Old 07-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Aw, how cute! I'm glad to hear he's feeling more comfortable! I like the name you've chosen.
#15 Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just an update: He's still very nervous but he's ventured out more now. He's discovered he likes the tassles on the rug, and he's been trying to go upstairs but they're quite steep with gaps, so I'm loathe to let him upstairs now. The stray we feed came in earlier today, and initially there was hissing and growling but after a while they just sat staring at each other and when KitKat got bored (as she's prone to do) he seemed to relax a bit more. Then the dog showed and up the hissing recommenced, he's still nowhere used to her and she's finally discovered somethings up. He's favourite place is still under the setee though, whenever anything shocks him, although he has discovered a little nook under the piano too. We've called him Merlin!

Thanks for all your help guys, keep it coming because I would love to keep him!

How long has it been since your got the little kitten?

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#16 Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Just since Saturday. We found him on the side of the road in a box. It didn't look like anybody had dumped him, but rather that'd he'd been part of a stray litter and had at least found himself some shelter. Saying that though, he is at roughly the weight he should be for his age (the vet put it at 9-10 weeks - we're really lucky to have a drop in weekend surgery, with an amazing vet!). Which seems a bit odd for me, because he's either a very lucky kitten, or somebody dumped him, having fed him and cared for him for 8 weeks.

He has however, chewed the logo of the shirt I'm wearing in that picture. So now it says Museu o ndon. He's currently sitting in front of the MAC screen, chasing the cursor.

#17 Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

If you just got him Saturday he will be just fine and is adjusting to a multi pet home very well. Some cats require weeks of slow introductions.

Excellent Job!

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#18 Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Which seems a bit odd for me, because he's either a very lucky kitten, or somebody dumped him, having fed him and cared for him for 8 weeks.

At 8 weeks, kittens are considered weaned, so he could be from an accidental litter and they couldn't find homes for all of them, so they dumped him.

Of course, he could have been stray to begin with. Either way, he's lucky to have found you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page