Nervous dog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay our dog is quite an out-going dog, she's a 5-almost-6 labrador crossed with a blue heeler, and she barks a lot, but last night when we came home from our cousins and let her in downstairs (she has a blanket on the step) she was quite nervous and kept going upstairs (shes not allowed up there) or downstairs (isnt allowed down there either). When I go to get her back she sometimes lies down like thinks I'm gonna hit her, its so sad . And she hasnt been barking. Last night when we got back I heard someone outside going "get down dog" I think it was our neighbour. and apparently one of the neighbours told my grandma that he was doing something by our fence and our dog went to bite him. I dont know if she would do that, I dont know when either. But I was thinking maybe he hit her or something? Its so not like her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM

If I thought someone hit my dog, I wouldn't have time to sit at home posting online. I don't even know what I would do, but I would be so pissed. I don't leave my dogs outside while I'm gone, so theres not an opportuinity for that, but if it happened I would explode.
#3 Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like something has definately happened. Give her lots of treats and hugs. It's horrible when you see dogs that shy away from people because something has happened.

Are you able to talk to your neighbour? If he's working on the fence he should of informed you since you have a dog. At least then you could've removed her when it was occurring so she didn't get stressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I havent seen the neighbour, I think he might have been working next to the fence (whatever on earth he was doing) when we weren't here, I seriously doubt she would just try and bite him, according to him she was almost over the fence. thats ridiculous, our fence is huge! She might have barked but I dont think she would bite him. She seemed a bit better last night but she still doesn't want to sit on the step, and instead goes and lies down in the bathroom.
#5 Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Poor doggy

Is she scared to go outside/near the fence?

EDIT: I just reread the OP. If you heard someone saying "get down dog" why didnt you run over to see what was going on?
#6 Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I asked my dad if someone was out there then I went outside and she was eating her dinner (my brother must have just fed her) and there was no one else out there.
#7 Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

OK well apparently it wasnt the neighbour I was thinking of that she almost bit...It was the one behind us who has two big dogs, who have often fought with our dog over the fence. According to my mum he bend down to weed and he stood up and she leapt almost over the fence with her mouth open... i dont really see what the problem with that is, often his dogs have jumped up and growled at us. I think he must have yelled at her or hit her or something. She is getting better but if anyone raises their voice or anything, she tries to hide in the bathroom, and last night I tried to get her to go back to her bed and she bit me so yeah.
#8 Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM

It's been days, I would be worried about exactly what happened if the dog is still scared. is she hurt?
#9 Old 06-04-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyemu15 View Post

OK well apparently it wasnt the neighbour I was thinking of that she almost bit...It was the one behind us who has two big dogs, who have often fought with our dog over the fence. According to my mum he bend down to weed and he stood up and she leapt almost over the fence with her mouth open... i dont really see what the problem with that is, often his dogs have jumped up and growled at us. I think he must have yelled at her or hit her or something. She is getting better but if anyone raises their voice or anything, she tries to hide in the bathroom, and last night I tried to get her to go back to her bed and she bit me so yeah.

It sounds like your dog is in a state of confusion over who is in charge in your house. A dog that is sure that there is a pack leader (and that should be you) will seldom if ever bite their human. I think you need to start setting some limits and boundaries for your dog, and take him on controlled walks where he is required to walk quietly beside you, not ahead of you ever. It seems to me that if you don't take this in hand right away, your poor dog is going to escalate as a result of the confusion it apparently is trying to deal with. I would think too, that the skulking around is also symptomatic of confusion. Sometimes your firm, he can do this, he can do that, and other times you allow him to make decisions, so he isn't ever quite sure of whether he will get to decide this or not. Like the fence issue. You should be out there and compel him to stay away from the fence. It is just not acceptable for him to carry on with the dogs on the other side.

I watched a show where a dog that lived on Wilshire Blvd in Hollywood lived in a firestation. For obvious reasons, the door onto the street was always open for fast exiting. The dog who was only about 8 months old was taught that he could go as far as the door frame and no further even though there were all kinds of temptations out there. If they can train him to be safe that way, your dog can be trained to ignore the neighbor dogs and the fence temptation. It will take time and diligence, but your dogs peace of mind is worth it. Good luck.
#10 Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really the "leader", when we got her I was only 8 and just played with her and let her nip me and whatever, but I think my dad is, she'll do what he wants [mostly].

In the day time, she's fine, she still barks, -sigh-, its at night she's like that, and if anyone raises their voice at all she skulks downstairs and tries to hide under the bed or in the bathroom. I wasn't here last night so I don't know if she's still doing it but I'll watch tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page