urinary tract issue with cat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

not my cat thank goodness, he's had enough problems

a coworker's cat has been suffering from a lower urinary tract infection or something. they're not entirely sure. they thought a uti then they thought kidney stones, he did pass some crytals apparantly, now they say it's lower urinary tract disease (lutd) but i think that's a BS diagnosis, aka: "we don't really know, so here give him these meds and shut up"

he's on some kind of meds and a prescribed food and it seems to be getting a bit better but it's gotten better and then worse again like 2 or 3 times. the emergency vet visits are costing her a fortune and a lot of stress on her and the poor cat.

he's licking himself raw, he has no fur on his abdomen, he cries all the time, squats all over the house trying to pee but either can't or won't because it hurts to go. one emergency vet visit resulted in a catheter to empty his bladder because he just wouldn't go and his bladder was full full full. the vet showed her how to check to see if his bladder is too full

i told her that i'd read before that for cats that won't urinate you can coax them with a warm wet washcloth, simulating a mother cat licking her young to make them go. she said she'll try anything so she'll give it a shot if he still won't go.

when he does pee he's straining and crying to the point that he's damaged blood vessels in one eye, she rushed him in again the other day because one eye was red and the pupil in one was wide open while the other eye was a slit. the damaged one also look a bit hazy she said. they checked it out and checked for tumors or clots and said it's fine it's just from straining, so they gave her drops to help it heal.

anyway i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, any ideas what's causing this, natural remedies she can try, foods, etc? she will try anything.

food is tricky though because he's picky and will not eat wet food. when this first started up the vet said make sure he drinks lots of water or eats wet food, she was actually forcing water into him with a syringe to make sure he was drinking enough because he won't touch wet food.

thanks in advance

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

he won't touch wet food.

Poor kitty. Unfortunately this is probably the main cause. Dry cat food should be outlawed, in my opinion. Cats should never even get started on it. I had a kitty who was prone to this problem, and I dissolved ascorbic acid crystals (powdered vitamin C) in her drinking water, which cleared up the symptoms. Once I switched her to wet food, she never had another problem.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I have no advice, just wanted to say I hope they find the problem and solution for the poor little kitty guy! Let us know what happens. I hope all goes well for her and her cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

This sounds very much like he has crystals in his urine. My parents' cat has this issue. It's not that he WON'T pee, he can't. He has a blockage. Esp in male cats, this can kill them in a short period of time. She should take him to a different vet. A second opinion might be useful to diagnose the real issue. What sort of food is he being prescribed? Magnesium is what causes the crystals, and needs to be avoided at all costs. This means no table scraps or treats, just the special food. My parents' cat eats Science Diet (can't remember the specific formula) and it seems to have done the trick.

It sounds like this kitty is in extreme distress and pain, poor thing!
#5 Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Crystals in the urine isn't a BS answer. They block the urinary track and/or irritate the bladder and make it painful and difficult if not impossible to urinate. One of my cats has struvite crystals and blocked once. After he was unblocked he was put on a food to dissolve the stones (Hill's Rx Diet s/d) then he's been on food to stop stones from forming ever since (Waltham Urinary SO -- the Hill's equiv is c/d) and he's been fine. It helps to encourage the cat to drink water - we have a cat fountain and he gets some wet food every day. The cat shouldn't be given ANY food but the prescription food, especially during the "stone dissolving" phase. If the cat keeps blocking, there is a surgery that can help to correct the problem that widens the urethra so that if there are crystals/stones they can pass more easily and not cause blockages. This is an expensive and complicated surgery and is usually left as a last resort if nothing else helps.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Feline lower urinary tract syndrome or disease (FLUTS) is an idiopathic disease, we call urinary problems this when we have ruled out all known causes. Dry food is not the cause and it is not a problem in the normal healthy cat as long as they have enough water to drink, wet food can contribute to dental problems. It is thought by some to be the result of an over anxious cat, that is why sometimes a tricyclic antidepressant is used to control the signs (amitriptyline or buspar) in repeating or persistant cases. It is not well understood how stress in SOME over anxious cats can result in thickening and inflamation of the bladder wall. This can make the cat more likely to get a UTI which alkalinizes the urine and allows struvite crystals to form. It takes time for all the crystals to dissolve and the bladder wall to return to normal, especially if it's been inflammed for a while. The urethra can also get inflammed and prevent a cat from urinating (more so in male cats). This is not a fun problem for anyone and precautions must be taken for the entire life of the pet to reduce the occurances of the problem. There may be a genetic factor involved. I hope this helps you to understand that this is not a BS diagnosis, but something that we know something, but not enough about.
#7 Old 05-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

oh no i don't think it's BS to say he's got crystals or that there's something wrong, but i think their lutd diagnosis was sort of a copout, they didn't really run tests or do xrays or anything, i think it was just something to tell her for lack of anything better. i'm sure it's a real condition and it may be what he has, but in my opinion it's the type of thing that doesn't just appear for no reason all of a sudden in a young adult cat, there must be an underlying reason for it, something causing it that should be delt with instead of just treating the symptoms alone.

i'll let her know what you guys said though hopefully it will shed some light.

as for food it's tricky, she has 4 cats. so what one eats they all eat, so to go on a prescription food they all have to be on that food basically. she is trying it though, i don't know which one it is. i was asking about it at the pet food store i shop at and they recommended dick van patten's duck and pea formula which is minimal ingredients, no ash, hypoallergenic and easy to digest. i brought her some sample bags but she said she's tried it before and the kitty didn't like it, he's picky. so she's giving the rx food a try but who knows if the other cats will eat it. she might have to figure out a way to feed them seperately but i think she just free-feeds so that'll be hard.

hopefully she finds a wet food he'll eat

they do have a fountain and they all use it but she had said that she doesn't see this one drink as much as the others. after she forced water into him with the syringe for a couple days he had started drinking a lot on his own she said, so that's good.

i'm off work for a week on hols so i'll give her a shout on facebook and see what she says. i'll keep you guys posted

thanks

~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I have three cats, one on prescription. They don't free feed though (which isn't really a good idea anyway, but that's a whole other issue). Atticus get the Rx and he gets closed in my office to eat, and the other two eat in the dining room. If they had to all eat in the same place -- then they'd all eat prescription food.

#9 Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Although I don't have four cats, all three of mine free feed the 'scrip feed my boy gets for this problem. All of our vets have OK'd the 'scrip food for kitties who don't need it too. It's a little bit more expensive, but it's also frequently on sale- so we stock up when it is. Haven't noticed a huge difference in the cat food bills, and my guy hasn't had any issues in over four years now!

If this guy continues having issues, or your friend is prone to animals that need a lot of health care (our newest has a strange inclination to eat string which has landed him in the ER more than once) I suggest getting insurance. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but ours is only $5 a month for Mr. String Eater and it covers EVERYTHING- decided this was a good idea after $1200 surgery to remove said string.
#10 Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Philosoraptor (great name, btw) -- just curious what pet insurance company you use?

#11 Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

My cat had a urinary tract infection....feeding him the pill was a pain as he would take it, then spit it out when I wouldn't look. On a humourous note, I had a UTI the same time as he did, and one day as I let out a frustrated noise trying to pee, I heard him from the litterbox also screaming. LOL we are one in spirit I think!

I have fed him Hills C/D at my vet's suggestion now and he hasn't had an issue since.
#12 Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

insurance is a wonderful thing, it saved us thousands of dollars with our dog. however if you sign up when there is already an existing health concern the insurance will not cover any costs associated with that issue.

i popped into work briefly today and asked her how he's feeling, she said he seems back to normal now but she's having trouble keeping the other cats out of his rx food, they like it. i said i thought it was safe for them to eat it but i'll let her know to double check with her vet just in case

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page