VeggieBoards banner

Pet Chicken Lovers Thread!

7K views 109 replies 26 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
We have so many threads on different animals, and no chicken thread that I know of! So, here's one.

My family adopted 7 chicks on march 4th of this year. They are such amazing animals, and extremely smart! They are growing so fast and I just adore them. Their names are Emma, Lila, Daisy, Ginger, Penny, Peaches and Ava.

I know we have some other members here who have chickens, so use this thread to talk all about them!

See less See more
#10 ·
Sadly, we're not allowed to have chickens out this way; my home city has a by-law against them. It's ridiculous, and people have been fighting it, but elected officials don't actually listen to the people, so it remains a foolish by-law still in effect...

Your chickens, however, look very cute!

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post

Sadly, we're not allowed to have chickens out this way; my home city has a by-law against them. It's ridiculous, and people have been fighting it, but elected officials don't actually listen to the people, so it remains a foolish by-law still in effect...

Your chickens, however, look very cute!
I hate silly laws like that. Hopefully something will get changed soon, and more people can adopt these wonderful animals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Chelsea, your chickens are really beautiful! btw, I renamed your thread title b/c every time I saw it, I kept thinking it's a troll thread.
Thanks, Amy! I didn't even realize people might think of anything other than pets.

#13 ·
my mom has 5 four year old chickens, they all look exactly the same so they arn't named.. then she has 3 two year olds that are like wild chickens, they look totally different and basically just kinda flew into our yard and stick around now, i think they might have been from the neighbors house.

im so glad the ones you adopted dont have any roosters!! we ended up with a rooster and he was horribly mean and used to chase people into the house when they went out to feed them. our flock wasnt big enough to have a rooster. our neighbor has him now and like i think i told you before he sleeps in the pine trees in the guys front yard and chases off stray cats lol

#14 ·
My boyfriend has two hens and a rooster who I probably love more than him haha. Henrietta, Penelope, and Jackson. Henrietta being our favorite she's super friendly and runs right up to you. I'm anxiously awaiting them having chicks but he might go buy a few.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Their names are Emma, Lila, Daisy, Ginger, Penny, Peaches and Ava.
Ginger, like from the movie Chicken Run?

I really want pet chickens, but my parents won't let me. So, instead, I buy my eggs from some people in the neighbourhood who have chickens, and volunteer at the local petting zoo, so I can play with the sweet hens there.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

my mom has 5 four year old chickens, they all look exactly the same so they arn't named.. then she has 3 two year olds that are like wild chickens, they look totally different and basically just kinda flew into our yard and stick around now, i think they might have been from the neighbors house.

im so glad the ones you adopted dont have any roosters!! we ended up with a rooster and he was horribly mean and used to chase people into the house when they went out to feed them. our flock wasnt big enough to have a rooster. our neighbor has him now and like i think i told you before he sleeps in the pine trees in the guys front yard and chases off stray cats lol
I remember that, but it's still funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

*sigh*

The one of them roosting on the branch is just too precious.

Which one is Ava? Love that name.
Thanks! Ava is one of the brown ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiem View Post

Ginger, like from the movie Chicken Run?

I really want pet chickens, but my parents won't let me. So, instead, I buy my eggs from some people in the neighbourhood who have chickens, and volunteer at the local petting zoo, so I can play with the sweet hens there.
I've actually never seen that movie but that's cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolabunny23 View Post

Awww Chelsea, your chickens are too cute! I think they are such beautiful animals. My mom used to own pet chickens, well, they weren't exactly pet chickens. :[ But she told me wonderful stories about them! And how they used to chase her around as a kid. Hehe.
Thanks.

I dont know how anyone can kept them as anything but pets.
We have a lot of farms around here, so they keep chickens and cows (mostly) for food. It's so sad!

#19 ·
You know, I remember when I was little we lived waaay out in the country, and there was this poultry plant down the road. There was a big barrel filled with water where the owner would drown sick chickens and ducks. We used to dump over the barrel and load up the chicks in our shirts and carry them home. My dad made a little enclosure for them and we'd try to save as many as we could. Sadly, most of them were too far gone, but a few survived. I especially remember a little hen we named Spot who lived out her days at my grandparents with their other chickens. I remember this one tiny duckling who had one of his eyes pecked out who was just wandering around peeping his little heart out. He didn't make it either but at least he was safe and warm for part of his very short life. How people can be so cruel to these sweet little creatures is beyond me..

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

You know, I remember when I was little we lived waaay out in the country, and there was this poultry plant down the road. There was a big barrel filled with water where the owner would drown sick chickens and ducks. We used to dump over the barrel and load up the chicks in our shirts and carry them home. My dad made a little enclosure for them and we'd try to save as many as we could. Sadly, most of them were too far gone, but a few survived. I especially remember a little hen we named Spot who lived out her days at my grandparents with their other chickens. I remember this one tiny duckling who had one of his eyes pecked out who was just wandering around peeping his little heart out. He didn't make it either but at least he was safe and warm for part of his very short life. How people can be so cruel to these sweet little creatures is beyond me..
That is horrible!!

I am so glad you were there to save them!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Chelsea, your chickens are so cute!

Are they friendly? Do you get to touch/hug/kiss them? I always wondered if pet chickens could be affectionate. I know if they were mine, I'd be chasing after them wanting to cuddle with them, whether they wanted me to or not!
Yes! I pick them up and they love to sit on my shoulder. I hold them and pet them. A few of them really love to have their neck petted and they sit still when I pet their backs so they must like it! If I've sitting down they will run up and fly on my shoulder or my arms, sometimes my lap. They also LOVE to peck my hair!

The only time they run is when they know they're going inside for the night and they still want to be outside. Then they run all around in a circle so that they don't have to go to bed.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Yes! I pick them up and they love to sit on my shoulder. I hold them and pet them. A few of them really love to have their neck petted and they sit still when I pet their backs so they must like it! If I've sitting down they will run up and fly on my shoulder or my arms, sometimes my lap. They also LOVE to peck my hair!

The only time they run is when they know they're going inside for the night and they still want to be outside. Then they run all around in a circle so that they don't have to go to bed.
Haha my one of my girls likes to sit on my shoulder too (nancy) but she always tries to peck my teeth when I smile which is wierd. Pip (who was killed by a cat
) used to fall asleep on my shoulder. I remember this one time when I sat down on the edge of their sandpit and five of them (for some reason Pat will never come that close apart from if you have food) sat along my outstretched legs and closed their eyes for a nap!

Mine go to bed themselves so we never have to put them in at night, just close the door. They go to bed before it even starts to get dark in summer - I guess they are tired after the long days.

Mine never really run away, they just keep dodging when you try to catch them to clip their wings or pop them back over the fence if they get out of their field. The only time they run is when they see you coming with food or the washing basket (the washing line is in their field, and they know that you have to open the gate quite wide to get through with the basket so they can rush out between your legs!) Then they run along flapping their funny little arms. My mums boyfriend could not stop laughing when they did it when he was there!

I think what I love most about them is their funny little voices and just how busy they are. They never stop, although they can be really, really naughty and destructive when they escape.

They used to roam for miles but now they have their wings clipped so they stay in their field. They used to have this circuit around the farm they used to do: run at top speed over to the other house across the yard, eat his pet ducks food (he used to give it bread and milk, and left over takeaways
), then get started pulling up all his vegetables and dutbathing in his garden, go down to the stream and scuff up the leaves for bugs, then come round to our front gate and mess up our garden. Such naughty girls! But they dont know they are doing anything wrong. They come to see if you have any food, mumble something in hen language, and then hop back into the flowerpot they are dustbathing a massive hole in.

#25 ·
when i was in pre-school, everyone in our class "adopted" an egg, watched it hatch, and was given the chick. we kept it in the basement for a few weeks, then gave it to a family friend who had a farm. it was a very sad day for me.

since then, i have been responsible for a few birds. amazing creatures, loved them all.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Chelsea, your chickens are so cute!

Are they friendly? Do you get to touch/hug/kiss them? I always wondered if pet chickens could be affectionate. I know if they were mine, I'd be chasing after them wanting to cuddle with them, whether they wanted me to or not!
they look so fluffy and cuddly, but they are actually pretty small and bony under all those feathers! One of mine seems to be obese though and I dont know how -you are meant to be able to feel the breast bone (with pads of muscle at either side and smooth over the top- not sharp) but she is just like a big cuddly blob underneath and people laugh at how round she is. It doesnt help that she has really thick feathers, and a kind of short neck and legs too.

She seems healthy though and lays really well (We got them at age 2, when another farm "replaced" them with younger birds. They would usually go to market and end up in a pie or something
but we still get 4 eggs a day from the five of them in summer and they are now about 5 years old). Maybe she is just built really chunky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.