Cat Peeing in Corners - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 AM

A week and a half ago we adopted two cats from the local shelter. Right now we are having some problems with one of them.

Shani is 12 years old, deaf and has a thyroid condition. His previous owner was a sick old lady who died. When the shelter was called to pick him up, he was so sick and malnourished he didn't even move. He was put on a drip, nursed back to health and after a few months we met him in the course of our volunteer work there. He's lovely, soft and black with huge green eyes and when you stroke him he purrs like a little motor. He followed me around as I was cleaning litter boxes, and after hearing his sad story we decided to give him a good home...

So much for the background. Unfortunately, Shani tends to avoid using the litter box. He will go on the floor in a corner instead. We started with two litter boxes which we cleaned morning and afternoon (he shares with the other cat only). Shortly after we noticed this we got a third and put it in the corner he preferred to use most. Since then, he's stopped using that corner and uses any other corner instead.

He and the younger cat do have little spats but they are nothing really serious and are happening much less often.

We have tried everything we can think of: grating lemon zest on the floor (he peed on top of it), spraying "Urine Off" in areas he went, putting a sponge with lemon scented detergent in the corners, getting the extra litter box, squirting him with water when he see him doing it (he just sits there). We even tried getting two of those cat pheromone things you plug into the wall socket. Nothing works. Apart from the thyroid condition there doesn't seem to be anything wrong (obviously he has been checked out by a vet a lot lately). Previous volunteers who nursed him said that he avoided the box at first but then learnt to use it. When cleaning his area I noticed puddles next to the box but not every time, and he was sharing with other cats as well. I thought once he had a nice home he would stop.

I don't want to give up on this guy. He is otherwise a really nice cat. But there is no way I can tolerate living in a house that reeks of cat pee, and we are going on our honeymoon later this year for four weeks. We can't ask friends to take care of a cat who will pee on their newly refurbished floors. I have never had a cat do this before. All were very particular about burying their waste.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Thyroid conditions can mask kidney disease because when the thyroid is disregulated, all body functions are working at hyperspeed, including the kidneys. Sometimes once the thyroid is regulated, the kidney function problem shows up. I think it's worth getting another check up at the vet to make sure nothing has changed since she's been in better health.

That said, the cat may be having trouble adjusting. That's a lot of changes in a short amount of time!! You could try different litters to see if she prefers one over the other, and you could also try Cat Attract cat litter which has a smell that makes them want to pee there. You might try confining the cat to a very small space for a while (i.e. a large dog crate) with litter box, room to lay down, food, and water. Once s/he's using the box in that space regularly, you upgrade to a slightly larger space, and keep upgrading until she has run of the house. If she stops using the box, downgrade to a smaller space, wait til she's using it consistently again, then upgrade.

Once you've got her using the box at home, you might not WANT to farm her out when you go on your honeymoon. Having someone come to the house and care for her would be a better choice. Moving around is really stressful on cats, and stress isn't good for any kitties, especially thyroid kitties.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and good suggestions. I did think of changing cat litter to the one they used at the shelter but dismissed it as a factor. My last cat used a variety of different litters until we found one which seemed to mask the smell and it never bothered him at all. However, you could very well be right. I will pick up the shelter brand next time I go into town and I really hope it does the trick.

Shani really did not seem at all stressed by the move. He didn't yowl or cause a fuss on the car ride at all. Just looked around with his big, green eyes. When we let him out he walked around for a bit as calm as you please, sniffed a few things and then meowed for food. The other cat was quite jumpy and did the whole crouching down and skulking about thing but after a few days settled in nicely. The cage idea is a good one but Shani is a very social cat. He loves attention and human contact, more than any other cat I have known. One of the volunteers who rescued him said that he got quite sick and withdrawn if he didn't get company. I worry that if I cage him it will increase his behavioural problems. I will try it if the other ideas don't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

My cat did the same thing and it turned out to be a urinary tract issue. She had crystals in her urine which made using the box painful and difficult. She'd try to seek out other places to go--often a cool surface like a tile floor.

Older male cats are even more likely to suffer urinary tract disease, and it can be fatal. Have him checked by a vet ASAP.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd also suggest trying the litter they used at the shelter. My cat can get pretty picky about stuff like that. Even if it doesn't make a difference, it's one more variable that you can eliminate.

You could also try putting mothballs in the corners. That seems to help dissuade cats from peeing there. (Of course the smell of mothballs isn't particularly pleasant either...) Maybe after you get the most frequently used corners cleaned up really well you could put a scratch post, food dish, or kitty toys there. That might make him less likely to pee there.

I wish I had more ideas for you. My cat had a urinary tract infection several months ago and started peeing all over the carpet so I definitely understand how frustrating it can be.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#6 Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks. I never even thought of a urinary tract issue. What is the treatment? I will take him to the vet as soon as I can. I really hope there is a fix for this one.
#7 Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my boys has FUS which causes crystals to form in his urine. He had a urinary obstruction once, but has since been ok. The treatment is a change in diet to a food that makes the urine more acidic so crystals can't form. If it doesn't work there is surgery to widen the urethra so the crystals can pass.

WRT the cage thing -- by no means did I mean lock the cat in the cage and ignore it, but if you aren't able to supervise the cat, then you'd keep it caged. Some people wait until the cat has just peed, then let it out for a while. They don't go very often (unless something is wrong, and your vet visit will screen for this!).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Unleaded View Post

Thanks. I never even thought of a urinary tract issue. What is the treatment? I will take him to the vet as soon as I can. I really hope there is a fix for this one.

In my case the vet gave me oral meds to give him for a week or two. I don't remember the details but it was a liquid that I squirted into his mouth with a syringe. Giving him the meds was fairly easy. Getting a urine sample, on the other hand... not so much.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#9 Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: nomorecatpee.com

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck! 

Jennie
#10 Old 11-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

The very first thing to do if a cat isn't using a litter box would be a vet check. Urinary crystals are painful and can be fatal particularly in males. Urinary infections are serious. If not treated quickly the pain can lead to them not wanting to use the box even after treatment, as the pain is remembered

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page