Cat Litter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry if people feel this is redundant, but my serach only really returned litter being spoken about in passing that I noticed. My mama just got me Kagin, and Abyssinian boy kitty. When I was looking at litter I decided to go with the clumping pine over the swheatscoop, as the last cat had swheatscoop and would get it all over.

After I had already gotten the pine litter a friend told me it was really bad for cats. But I had read it was only the non clumping kind.

Do we have any cats litter experts here? Which kind of litter is safest for my cat, and also best for the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Whatever you do, don't use the clay based litters. Worst thing possible for cat health and eco-friendliness.

The clay is silicate clay (I think that's what it's called?) which is strip mined in a very toxic and damaging process.

Plus, the dust is sillica, which has been implicated as a cause of lung cancer in cats.
#3 Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that the recycled newspaper litter is best for cat health and the environment, but I don't really know anything more than that. My cats just go outside where they get fresh air and sunshine, my yard gets free fertilizer, and their waste can biodegrade as it was designed to. (But I'm sure you have your reasons for having a litter box and I'm not trying to criticize your choice.)

EDIT: I've seen newspaper litter sold at Walmart (don't know where you live, so I dont' know if you have those), and of course I'm sure you could find it at pet stores, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. I think it's on the pricier side of litter, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

yesterday's news is actually cheaper than most of the "specialty" sorts i've tried. i liked it but it doesn't clump so much as crumble when wet, so i found i was throwing out so much litter every time i scooped, and going through bags of it much faster than necessary.

i switched to world's best which is made of corn cob i believe, and is scoopable. it scoops just like a clay litter but is nontoxic and biodegradable, and though it's more expensive i go through less of it because of the clumping action.

but yeah i've heard mixed things about pine, that there's something in pine that is bad for cats and other animals, but i've also heard the feline pine litter is safe. i dunno if it's treated to remove whatever chemical causes the reactions or if it's made using a different part or combination of parts of the tree, or what, but i've heard it's safe. however a lot of people still don't believe clay is unsafe, so i would research it more before using it longterm

if you already bought it i'd say go ahead and use it and just watch for any skin reactions, and look into it further or switch brands when it's time to buy more

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Also be sure to avoid scented litters. Cats have very sensitive noses and my vet informed me that the smell of scented litters is actually painful for them.
#6 Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not positive if the cat didn't like the pine(I really didn't like the fact that it was pretty much just sawdust), I may not have given him enough time, but I went to the local pet store and they said that the least returned litter is the corn based litters. I ended up getting some and within an hour or two he did his business when I put him in his box.

They say it's flushable, and I guess there's a lot of corn down there anyway, so I could really dig on this. The guy said customer reviews said that the corn lasted even longer than regular litter, so we'll see how it does for distance, but first impressions -

On a different note, Kagin really doesn't know what to think of Leto quite yet. I've been keeping them separate while I'm not there, cause I don't want it to be traumatic. Can't wait to get home and see how they do. KAgin didn't hiss nearly as much diuring lunch today.
#7 Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I do hope the cat was from a shelter :\\

I prefer feline pine litter. My cats prefer clay or scoopable and will only use "alternative" litters in situations of dire emergency. Since I have a cat with urinary problems who I'd rather not have hold it until absolutely necessary to avoid using litter he isn't so fond of -- I buy what they like.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page