Ducks came into my House!!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't express how astonished I am.

There are many ducks in my area. I do tend to throw scraps outside so they can eat it.

But today, I left the garden door of my house open and was in my room. I go to the kitchen and there are two ducks walking around.

Anyway, how are ducks like in terms of territory and community?

Does this mean more will try to come in ?

and also, how can I try to build a bond with them?..

those questions might sound a little naive but meh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieShane View Post

I can't express how astonished I am.

There are many ducks in my area. I do tend to throw scraps outside so they can eat it.

But today, I left the garden door of my house open and was in my room. I go to the kitchen and there are two ducks walking around.

Anyway, how are ducks like in terms of territory and community?

Does this mean more will try to come in ?

and also, how can I try to build a bond with them?..

those questions might sound a little naive but meh.

Aw, I used to have ducks come in whenever I left the door open. They liked the birdseed that fell out of my birdfeeder, and would come in looking for the bag in the kitchen. They liked the pond I had right by the front door, and raised their babies in it three years in a row. They would even bring the babies in.

If they are a mated pair, or group (some females have more than one "husband") more are not likely to show up. They are territorial during mating and nesting season.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, how cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

They liked the birdseed that fell out of my birdfeeder, and would come in looking for the bag in the kitchen.

It's cool that the ducks were smart enough to figure that out!
#5 Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aw, I used to have ducks come in whenever I left the door open. They liked the birdseed that fell out of my birdfeeder, and would come in looking for the bag in the kitchen.

We leave the back door propped open when we're home (and not sleeping), and we also occasionally throw leftover cat food out the back door on the porch for whoever wants it. We have, on numerous occasions, found a couple of raccoons raiding our dry cat food stash. An opposum once, too. Funny kids they all are.
#6 Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBirds View Post

It's cool that the ducks were smart enough to figure that out!

Yes, they had to turn a couple of corners, and when I came back in, there they were, biting the plastic bag, trying to get the seeds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

We leave the back door propped open when we're home (and not sleeping), and we also occasionally throw leftover cat food out the back door on the porch for whoever wants it. We have, on numerous occasions, found a couple of raccoons raiding our dry cat food stash. An opposum once, too. Funny kids they all are.

People around here often have raccoons coming in through their doggy doors.

I fostered an orphaned duck. They need someone to imprint on, or they won't survive. I used to bring him in at night, and sit with him near my neck while I watched TV, to keep him warm like his mama would have, and he would dart his little beak right into my eye, trying to eat my eyelashes! Whenever I blinked, I guess it looked like a moth or something.

You have to take them for walks, so that they learn to follow you, and then one day when they are old enough you take them for a walk to the nearest body of water (we had a lagoon down the street), and off they go. I've seen people with orphaned goslings do that too. Its so sad when its time, but its also a job well done.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I fostered an orphaned duck. They need someone to imprint on, or they won't survive. I used to bring him in at night, and sit with him near my neck while I watched TV, to keep him warm like his mama would have, and he would dart his little beak right into my eye, trying to eat my eyelashes! Whenever I blinked, I guess it looked like a moth or something.

You have to take them for walks, so that they learn to follow you, and then one day when they are old enough you take them for a walk to the nearest body of water (we had a lagoon down the street), and off they go. I've seen people with orphaned goslings do that too. Its so sad when its time, but its also a job well done.

That is such a beautiful story, SE.
#8 Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww cute. We use to have ducks come right up to our porch and get fed bred and stuff. I pet one once but then they took the swampish thing and burried it to leave a giant ugly hole near our home. Now we don't get hardly any wildlife anymore...All we get is hawks and a few birds.

If you did not scare or chase them out then it is likely those two especially will try to come in again, that's what I am guessing.

^Cool story, bro
#10 Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

that is too cute--i love all of these stories!
#11 Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

What causes baby ducks to get separated from their mothers? Is this common? A not-so-bright acquaintance of mine had a baby duck waddle into her house solo recently. She thought it was cute (natch) and decided to adopt it. However, she let it swim around in the backyard pool, and of course the next day it was dead. But is it common for stray ducklings to be wandering about?
#12 Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, they had to turn a couple of corners, and when I came back in, there they were, biting the plastic bag, trying to get the seeds!

People around here often have raccoons coming in through their doggy doors.

I'd follow you anywhere too....
#13 Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

What causes baby ducks to get separated from their mothers? Is this common? A not-so-bright acquaintance of mine had a baby duck waddle into her house solo recently. She thought it was cute (natch) and decided to adopt it. However, she let it swim around in the backyard pool, and of course the next day it was dead. But is it common for stray ducklings to be wandering about?

In my case the mama had been killed by a car, and some kids brought the ducklings to me because they knew I had a pond. All but the one died. They are very fragile, and if they don't imprint on a parent figure they won't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

I'd follow you anywhere too....

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

cheeky ducks! i like cheeky ducks. here in ontario canadian geese own the flipping place. there are some who live in the lake opposite my appartment, they go to hang out over the road by the mall sometimes, and when they come back they just stroll across the road and 6 lanes of traffic all screech to a halt... i love it
#15 Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

cheeky ducks! i like cheeky ducks. here in ontario canadian geese own the flipping place. there are some who live in the lake opposite my appartment, they go to hang out over the road by the mall sometimes, and when they come back they just stroll across the road and 6 lanes of traffic all screech to a halt... i love it

The ducks here use the crosswalks, I swear. I saw a group of them wait for the light and walk across the street.
#16 Old 04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

^^^ i wouldn't put it past them. birds are pretty smart. the pigeons in london use the underground and they know where they're going.
#17 Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

i wouldn't really try to bond with them unless they're orphaned babies, if they learn to trust people they might get themselves into a bad situation with someone not as nice. i don't think it's too bad to feed them as long as you're giving them something that's not bad for them (bread is not as good for them as people tend to think) but i wouldn't try to like tame them or handle them or anything. it's tempting though

also if they're used to being let inside they might get brave and try going into another home where they might come face to face with someone's dog or cat or something..

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

woa the thread kinda got hi-jacked and only one person answered my questions, but that's fine. It was entertaining to read all the duck stories.

I've got expensive stuff in my house so i obviously don't want a whole flock in here messing things up. I think i'll just make the back room open for them and put a lot of feed in there.
#19 Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Just shut your door if you are worried the ducks are going to touch your expensive stuff.
#20 Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Wow, how cool!

awesome and I have only seen them in outside pools.
#21 Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post

The ducks here use the crosswalks, I swear. I saw a group of them wait for the light and walk across the street.

I've seen it too (in Idaho).

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#22 Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM

I know it's been said, but, as tempting as it is, you probably shouldn't try to bond with them. They may decide to go visit someone else who isn't as nice about having ducks come into their house.
#23 Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

This is actually not a worry. Ducks tend to return to the same places year after year, wherever they find the conditions favorable. If you want them to nest on your property as opposed to someone you know who hates them, its better to bond with them by providing food and shelter, for their own protection, if you are interested in helping them out. They are quite intelligent enough to know the difference between kind people and cruel ones, and won't return to a place that is hostile to them.

Just don't feed them bread!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#24 Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is actually not a worry. Ducks tend to return to the same places year after year, wherever they find the conditions favorable. If you want them to nest on your property as opposed to someone you know who hates them, its better to bond with them by providing food and shelter, for their own protection, if you are interested in helping them out. They are quite intelligent enough to know the difference between kind people and cruel ones, and won't return to a place that is hostile to them.

Just don't feed them bread!

ahh that's good.

So i'll make them a nice environment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page