Fly Problem! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

So, my bunny rabbits, since I have tons of them, live in a shed. The shed it nice and big and it is heated and air conditioned, it has like 5 windows and the bunnies get lights and everything in there. Nicer then my room actually. Anyway, flies...FLIES!

I hate killing them but it is for our rabbits and they are very annoying. They all hang around outside our shed. Every time I open the door all of them just try to fly in. We have tried, just hitting them with the swatter, spray that does it automatically, those sticky strip things. Nothing works!

Lately it has happened. We always had a few yeah whatever like you do in your home sometimes. Now there are probably 10-25 in the shed at one time and about 50 outside waiting to get in.

We keep it as clean as possible, changing the cages every other day and sweeping in there every day. They still keep coming! I hate it, I am sure the bunnies hate it more.

Can anyone help with this problem? Why the heck do they come around if the cages are so clean? Is there anyway way to get rid of them fast? I need help with FLIES

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 PM

I dont think there's much you can do, it's outside and depending on where you live it's getting warmer - this means a lot of flies out.
#3 Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Watch out for flystrike! By keeping the cages so clean you will help to avoid it, but any wounds or dirty areas on the rabbits could become maggot-infested very easily. You can get insecticides from the vet to apply to the rabbits to help to avoid this, and it might be a good idea if you have a big fly problem.

I have heard of people using "fly traps" with some sort of horrible sticky stuff that the flys love and happily drown in. They're meant to be quite effective, and I like to think that at least the flies have a happy end in a pool of sugar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I check my bunnies every day for wounds. We have heard of that so actually right now we have a rabbit in the house because he was playing in the play pen and there was a rock he scraped on. It was tiny and is now a scab but we are keeping him in there just in case.

^Cool story, bro
#5 Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Since reading that thread that crustaceans can feel pain, I realize you might have a hard decision to make, since presumably insects can feel pain too.

You might want to do some research about herbs that repel flies. I think some do, but I'm not sure. But you'll want to avoid flystrike. It comes down to protecting your rabbits from attack. I would do what I had to do.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#6 Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Since reading that thread that crustaceans can feel pain, I realize you might have a hard decision to make, since presumably insects can feel pain too.

You might want to do some research about herbs that repel flies. I think some do, but I'm not sure. But you'll want to avoid flystrike. It comes down to protecting your rabbits from attack. I would do what I had to do.

I would rather not hurt them at all...

BUT

if it came down to it I would look after my rabbits rather then flies. I will look around on the internet for some herps though, good idea

^Cool story, bro
#7 Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

What is attracting them to the shed?

For a non-violent solution (if you desire), there is fly bait. Usually it is used in the sort of traps that drown flies, but if you put it on the opposite side of the yard, perhaps it will keep the flies away from the shed.
#8 Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

What is attracting them to the shed?

I don't know. I keep it clean, Non of my bunnies are egg laying material...

^Cool story, bro
#9 Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

i have natural fly traps. i buy some powder stuff from bunnings (garden shop for those anywhere other than australia :P) and mix it with water and they love it and drown. i hate flies and wouldnt care if the only way to kill them was to burn them all. morbid and harsh i know. but my dog gets fly bite as she cant swish her ears as they are so big and she cant shake the flies off. as u could imagine i go through so much fly repelent but as a further measure i hang these traps around the yard. they are worth the $10 i pay for them! you have to empty them out each week and they really stink! but maybe you can find something similar around your place?
#10 Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 PM

You should try to figure out whats attracting the flies to the shed in the first place.
#11 Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I went to the local feed store, a kind of cruel one, but it is where I get huge bags of rabbit feed for cheap prices. Anyway, I saw this fly spray guaranteed to kill the flies fast so they do not slowly die away on the ground and it was completely safe for pets. I sprayed it and now the fly population around the shed has gone down like 75%

Weird but it works. I saw an auto sprayer thing that you use for it so I think I am going to go back and get that in a few days.

I am searching my shed. I am thinking what if like there is a dead mouse of something up in the shed roof. I am going to check it out this week some time. BUT

Thank heavens for that fly spray I can get in there to see my bunnies with comfort now.

^Cool story, bro
#12 Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 PM

I'm sure the rabbits were very uncomfortable having flies all around them all the time! If theres something in the shed attracting them, more could come right back, probably.
#13 Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I know, again I state this week I am going to look into the roof...

^Cool story, bro
#14 Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM

I seen that the first time. Do they fly towards the roof when in the shed or towards the rabbits' cages?
#15 Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I seen that the first time. Do they fly towards the roof when in the shed or towards the rabbits' cages?

More toward the window and the roof. The tend to avoid the bunnies.

^Cool story, bro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page