Petsmart & PETCO: What Happens to Unadopted Pets? Anyone Know? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I am referring to the shelter cats and dogs in the in-store adoption site, not the small animals being sold.

I've noticed that most of the cats up for adoption at my local PETCO are those who were probably deemed harder to adopt in a shelter environment--i.e., adult cats and shy cats.

Do the shelter pets have a "deadline" by which they must be adopted? Are they ever sent back to the shelter?

I've tried searching for this information online and came up empty. Anyone know?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM

It depends on the shelter. The dogs are normally only there for the day, and go back to foster homes/the shelter at the end of the day. The best way to find out about cats in the cages for adoption (or dogs, if they have them where you are) is to contact the shelters to find out.
#3 Old 03-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of those animals are already in rescue groups. PetSmart and PetCo just allow the groups to use the space to get the animals adopted. How long they have depends on the particular group they are in, most are no kill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

The animals belong to the shelters/rescues and stay in the store or are taken out by those groups according to their own policies. There is an agreement between the group and the store as to who does the daily care, who handles adoptions, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page