My new bunny rabbit! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

So a few days ago I got a new bunny. His name is Killian and he is a trippy brown and gray colored French Angora bunny. He was kind of adopted but kind of not

I got him from a breeder, but she was going to cull him So I was like "NO". I asked her why, she said "He doesn't like people". I was like "Yeah whatever let me take him". She agreed and here he is.

I guess it was the breeders fault, she hardly EVER held the poor thing and he is not a healthy bunny. All he has eaten his whole life is Pellets and hay. No variety.

I have been working with him a lot and found he does not hate people. He just had to understand that we love him instead of just feed him. He has come around really great and I love his color.

I almost cried when I came over to a friends house, who spins rabbit wool "Not hurting or killing that rabbits while doing it" since my mother does the same. I went out to see his bunnies. I saw a giant stack of tiny cages filled with rabbits.

Horrified I asked what the heck he was going. He said that those where a bunch of rabbits he got from people to sell to the bird park for $5 a piece where they would feed them to birds.

I left his home and have not talked to him since then. But I almost cried seeing all those bunnies, knowing that most where nice sweet rabbits, and they where all going to be killed

Anyway...That's why I got this guy. I could not bare the thought of him dieing for no REAL reason. Killian is actually a nice bunny though. Anyway I am glad to welcome my new addition to my house full of animals

KILLIAN THE FRENCH ANGORA

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM

I'm glad you saved him!

What happened to the rabbit your mother wanted to let go into the wild?
#3 Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

You know I completely forgot to mention that! Well, my dad finally got a job so we have enough money to happily support our pets. I e-mailed some people, the word got out, a lady really wanted an Angora rabbit, and she decided to take her. We got an update and she has been working super hard with The Fizz and her biting is getting better, not completely cured of the problem though.

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm glad to hear you can support them all and that the bunny wasn't killed.
#5 Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

That is so sweet. I'm glad the bunny got adopted and is doing well. Should take a picture.
#6 Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

I almost cried when I came over to a friends house, who spins rabbit wool "Not hurting or killing that rabbits while doing it" since my mother does the same. I went out to see his bunnies. I saw a giant stack of tiny cages filled with rabbits.

Horrified I asked what the heck he was going.He said that those where a bunch of rabbits he got from people to sell to the bird park for $5 a piece where they would feed them to birds.

I left his home and have not talked to him since then. But I almost cried seeing all those bunnies, knowing that most where nice sweet rabbits, and they where all going to be killed

Anyway...That's why I got this guy. I could not bare the thought of him dieing for no REAL reason. Killian is actually a nice bunny though. Anyway I am glad to welcome my new addition to my house full of animals

I applaud you for saving that bunny, but don't you think you should call the cops on this guy? That sound like animal abuse to me, or at least not right. I'm sure hawks or whatever this bird park has eat more then just bunnies, and why exactly would somewhere reputable (if the park is) buy thier 'meat' from some guy who keeps bunnies in his backyard? I thought predatory birds ate cow and stuff too, not rabbit. At least not in captivity.

I know places like pet stores sell mice for snakes, and I'm not saying thier lives are worth less, but feeding baby bunnies to birds just sounds sick to me.

I try not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong and I know I don't understand everything about the situation, but it just doesn't sound right.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a pain.
#7 Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Its not illegal I guess since they where going to the zoo in a few days the cops did not care. The zoo will always take donations like that...I am not sure but I think he might kill them before the zoo gets them though..I don't know I am not going to ponder on it because the bunnies are gone now and I rather spend my energy making my bunnies lives better then trying to get something done when either way I can't do anything about it now

^Cool story, bro
#8 Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Its not illegal I guess since they where going to the zoo in a few days the cops did not care.

So you asked the cops and they really didn't care?

Quote:

The zoo will always take donations like that...I am not sure but I think he might kill them before the zoo gets them though..I don't know I am not going to ponder on it because the bunnies are gone now and I rather spend my energy making my bunnies lives better then trying to get something done when either way I can't do anything about it now

This whole thing just makes me angry. Eventhough the rabbits are gone now what's to keep this guy from doing this again, especially since he was making a profit.

I know better then anyone that animals eat other animals, and in the wild I'm sure birds of prey will eat a rabbit or two, but it seems completely unacceptable to me for someone to raise what is usually a household pet in the United States for bird food.

Anyway, if this happens again maybe you could talk to this guy about selling them as pets instead for the same amount, or if you can't face him, maybe have a mutal friend or someone talk to him instead. Just throwing it out there.

I hear people are getting rid of thier dogs right now and I'm pretty sure rabbits are less expensive. (I had 2 in the past and they had babies, but it was a long time ago and we ended up giving them away because there were too many since they had about four or five babies. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.) They really are sweet, except mine scratched a lot, but

other then that a fun pet that's great for kids!

Feel better and I hope the next time something like this comes up it turns out better for you.
#9 Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Rabbits have a unique dual life in the U.S.: pet and livestock/food. What's worse is they are classified as poultry (go figure) and therefore are exempt from the Humane Slaughter Act, which unfortunately means they don't have to be rendered unconscious before killing them.

It's relatively common to feed rabbit meat to raptors in rescues.

I'm not saying I like it, but there is nothing that can be done under current law in most American jurisdictions. Until rabbits are protected like dogs and cats, they will continue to show up in your supermarket, restaurant, dogfood, and raptor rescue. If you know a breeder not providing adequate shelter/cage space/food and water you can contact animal enforcement, but that's about it.

Not that it's a terrible idea compared to becoming dinner, but the kind of people who buy $5 pet rabbits aren't likely to do a very good job as owners, simply because of the lack of education at the pet source and the assumption that it's ok to consider them cheap, caged pets. They are not necessarily cheaper than dogs/cats and yet suffer for it because the attitude is to not give them veterinary care.

It's hard to convince the public that bunnies aren't good for Easter pets... this time of year becomes more difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page