what brand/type of food do you feed your pets? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought the goodlife recipe (i havent fed it to laney doggie yet) and I alternate purina urinary tract health and friskies indoor formula for the kitty.

I have fed the puppy pruina puppy chow (she hated it) ol roy puppy chow ( she tolerated it) and then kibbles an bits ( I think she pretended to like it) I also gave her the mighty dog packets of food ( she seemed to like it) but it doesn't last very long and she does weigh about 55-60 lbs. I also try to smoothly switch her food over not just change it all of a sudden.

But my husband and I were at petsmart and he saw this thing called wholemeals and she seems to really like it. They are kinda shaped like a bone and we only bought a 4 pack to try but I think next week we will get the 24 pack of them . Does anyone else feed their doggie this? It weirds me out cause it is shaped like a treat. but it does say that it is adequate meal supply on the package.

I also alternate different kinda of canned cat food and dog food. Friskeis selects indoor is the kitties fave except for the crotcety oldest kitty stills seems to like pate friskies canned food. Laney likes any type of burgers and cheeze flavor but eats the others too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

My oldest and youngest cat both eat Innova Evo (no biproducts, no grain, human grade meats). My middle cat eats Waltham Urinary SO prescription diet because he has FUS. If he didn't, I wouldn't feed him that because it's got a lot of fillers and biproducts in it. Purina and Friskies are both complete junk food.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

my vet recommended purina urinary tract health. I dont think a vet would recommend junk food for a cat with urinary tract problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Yea, actually, they do. My cat needs urinary food as well, and the expensive prescription kind, and the prescription food are also full of biproducts and crap. I chose the Waltham over the other ones because the first ingredient is chicken. Hill's equiv prescription diet has rice as the first ingredient and has meat biproducts.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong food, purina one urinary tract health's first two ingredients are corn gluten meal and corn. Cats are carnivores, corn is a cheap high carb filler. Cats aren't designed to have a high carb diet.

So obviously vets prescribe and recommend foods that aren't the best. I made the best choice I could between the different prescription foods for my cat, knowing he had to have them. It's worth doing a little research on your own and decide if that's really the best option for your cat, and discuss your other options with your vet.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 02-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Fish: Tetra Min, Tropical Flakes, and Betta Bites

Dog:Eukenuba

Rabbits:Ace Pellet

lol, I have more pets but that is all I can think of on the spot.

^Cool story, bro
#6 Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Unless I'm looking at the wrong food, purina one urinary tract health's first two ingredients are corn gluten meal and corn. Cats are carnivores, corn is a cheap high carb filler. Cats aren't designed to have a high carb diet.

Yes, this purina urinary tract food is junk. Vets receive very little education on nutrition in vet school, and the education the do receive is provided by the pet food companies.

www.sharksavers.org
#7 Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

You may be right but I know that Lucky cat was peeing bloody urine and very sickly until I started feeding him that food. Now he is as healthy as can be.

I am afraid to feed him other things due to the way he was before I fed him this. There isn't a urinary tract care in every type of brand of food and I don't trust the companies that were part of the pet food scare a couple of years ago.
#8 Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Dogs: Raw dead things, supplements, healthy table scraps.

Ferrets: Raw dead things

Cat: Raw dead things

Rabbits: Grasses, hay, fruit, veg, dried herbs, edible tree branches/twigs/leaves, dried pellets.
#9 Old 02-21-2009, 12:20 PM

My dog has been on Dick van patten's Natural balance Vegetarian formula for over a year and she loves it. When I first started mixing it with the old food for the change she would pick out this one and leave the old stuff in the bowl. I get it at petco but I've also seen it online. The company also donates to local animal charities.
#10 Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Impeach the gangster

Winkie eats the Natural Balance Veggie formula too. She's been on it since she was a pup, about 5-years now. It's her basic food, but she also gets all sorts of veggie table scraps. She loves Cheerios and Rice Chex too. And vegan cheese. She's really very spoilt. Peanut butter. Apples. On and on and....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Winkie eats the Natural Balance Veggie formula too. She's been on it since she was a pup, about 5-years now. It's her basic food, but she also gets all sorts of veggie table scraps. She loves Cheerios and Rice Chex too. And vegan cheese. She's really very spoilt. Peanut butter. Apples. On and on and....

we discovered last night that laney reallly like bananas. she likes the smell of peanut butter but won't eat it.
#12 Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

we discovered last night that laney reallly like bananas. she likes the smell of peanut butter but won't eat it.

Dogs like sweets sometimes. This is reproduced from an earlier thread:

This is for dog bisquits. My pooch loves 'em.

3c. oatmeal (uncooked)

1c. flour

1c. chopped nuts (Please don't use Macadamia nut. They're bad for dogs.)

2 mashed bananas

1 c. applesauce

2 tb. sugar

1tb. vanilla

Mix.

Spoon onto lightly oiled pan and shape into cookies.

Bake at 350 degrees about 30- minutes or until done.

Keep them refridgerated.

Makes about 30 cookies

Winkie also enjoys crumbs from my cinnamon rolls.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#13 Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Dogs like sweets sometimes. This is reproduced from an earlier thread:

This is for dog bisquits. My pooch loves 'em.

3c. oatmeal

1c. flour

1c. chopped nuts (Please don't use Macadamia nut. They're bad for dogs.)

2 mashed bananas

1 c. applesauce

2 tb. sugar

1tb. vanilla

Mix.

Spoon onto lightly oiled pan and shape into cookies.

Bake at 350 degrees about 30- minutes or until done.

Keep them refridgerated.

Makes about 30 cookies

Winkie also enjoys crumbs from my cinnamon rolls.

I have everything to make that but nuts and applesauce. hmm... I know about the macadmia nut thing. I'm scared to feed my pets anything without checking online from a few different sources to make sure it is okay.

I hate it that some people at my work think that they know it all and despite my advice still feed their pets human drugs and people food that they shouldn't eat.
#14 Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Impeach the gangster

I edited the recipe above to clarify that the oatmeal should be dry, uncooked.

Also, I didn't invent this recipe. I copied it from a post at VB several years ago, but unfortunately, don't remember who the OP was. Whoever you are, thanks for a great, healthy recipe and for making my doggie happy every day!

#15 Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I finally convinced my mother to put all the animals on what I believe is a very high quality pet food. It's called 'Solid Gold' and I've noticed remarkable changes in all the animals since switching their diet from a halfway decent-but-not-really Wal-Mart brand called Maxximum that my mother used to buy.
#16 Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

My cats are on Orijen (canadian made, no grains, no by-products, high protein) dry and they will also sometimes have Natural Balance or Eagle Pack wet. For treats they get Go! (no grain). My bird eats birdy bread I make for him plus fresh veggies, fruits, grains, millet, Tropican pellets and gourmet Hagen seed. My gecko eats Repashy crested gecko diet. For a treat he gets a mix of fruit and a bit of yoghurt.
#17 Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I feed our two cats Halo-spots stew, sentitive formula. They love it, almost too much..as in one of them can over-eat if I free feed him. I love that is is human grade pet food, that doesnt have bi-products or a bunch of corn and wheat fillers. It gave them the nicest coats too!
#18 Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a urinary tract/grain-sensitivity cat too, so I feed the prescription urinary tract food. I mix it with a food called Core made by the Wellness company. The vet approved this. Luckily, she hasn't had any more episodes since she's been eating this diet. She also vomits a lot less often too.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#19 Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

we love Orijen but it's too expensive and hard to get, a lot of times when we'd go to buy some they wouldn't have it in stock with no idea when it would come in. the guy said he has a really hard time getting it in because it's such a small company and the demand for the product has gone above what they're able to supply. in other words they can't make it fast enough to fill everyone's orders.

but it's sooooo expensive also so we usually go with Nutro for the dogs. it's still expensive but about $10 cheaper than the Orijen. i looked at Halo just for the sake of supporting the work they do but it's even more expensive.

unfortunately money's tight, i might have to downgrade to a cheaper brand but i refuse to buy grocery store/department store garbage. i'm going to ask the owner of the store we shop at for recommendations because he knows more about pet nutrition than any vet i've talked to.

it's the same with human doctors, they receive very little nutrition training. vets also usually sell a specific brand in their office and will always recommend that brand even if it's crap because they make money off it. they have a deal with that pet food company if they sell their products exclusively they get sort of a bonus or commission. so they're not necessarily recommending something because they believe it's the best product for your pet. (or the cost is so low for them because they get a good deal on it, that they can make a ton off the markup if they charge more than pet food stores which they inevitably do)

every time i see someone buying food at the vet i just shake my head.

anyway my cat is on Nutro dry as well, the indoor formula, and also gets Wellness canned. i'm scaling back his portions of canned food so he'll eat more dry because the canned is getting too expensive. and he doesn't always eat all of it and once it dries up he won't touch it. so we're giving him less so there's less waste and so i don't have to buy as much, plus he's getting too fat lol.

i can't change his brands, he had stopped eating a while back and got fatty liver disease and after a long ordeal and lots of money in vet visits i now feed him whatever he will eat, these i know for sure he'll eat so i'm not messing with it lol. i do however throw in a random can of something else just so he doesn't get bored of the wellness cause that's what caused the whole issue in the first place.

oh also the dog only gets natural healthy treats, like the peanut butter cookes from Northern Biscuit, or homemade.

BUT my mother in law is shameless and despite our requests still buys junky treats and gives them to our dog, and i'm sure she sneaks her scraps when we're not home. she's a boston terrier which are prone to gas. the food she gets is a seafood variety which has cut down on her gas a LOT, but we can always tell when MIL has snuck her treats.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page