petsmart and there pets for adoption - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

So being who I am I always have to go there and look at the kitties that are up for adoption . Well, tonight there was one who apparently lost all his companions and his life in general and they put this on a note on his cubicle place and the note also said that he needed love because he had stopped eating before and lost his will to live due to his depression. I so wanted to adopt that kittie. I would adopt all the kitties if I could. I love the doggies too but kitties are so cuddly and soft and they deserve to be treated so nicely and sweetly not left and depressed and not eating.

I guess this belongs in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Aaah, that is so sad. I know the shelters here go to the Petsmarts like on Saturday's in hopes the animals will get adopted.
#3 Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

So being who I am I always have to go there and look at the kitties that are up for adoption . Well, tonight there was one who apparently lost all his companions and his life in general and they put this on a note on his cubicle place and the note also said that he needed love because he had stopped eating before and lost his will to live due to his depression. I so wanted to adopt that kittie. I would adopt all the kitties if I could. I love the doggies too but kitties are so cuddly and soft and they deserve to be treated so nicely and sweetly not left and depressed and not eating.

I guess this belongs in this forum.

The PetCetera here takes the cats that have been at the SPCA for a while and puts them up for adoption in their store. I guess different exposure gives them an extra chance at a home?

I can't walk past PetCetera without going in to say hello to the kitties. It usually eats up about half an hour of my time though, and I have to be torn away against my will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Every saturay animal shelters bring animals to petsmart here, and they generally always have cats from the humane society there in cages. I always say hi to everyone but feel so bad I can't take them all home. Sometimes it makes me cry on the way home.
#5 Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah. they keep them in back of the store in cages behind a glass thingy and then the spca and some other animal shelter places come on saturday to petsmart and tries to adopt them out then as well.

my husband sometimes tries to keep me from going back there but I have to now since we have a doggie as well. I have to walk right by them .
#6 Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Our closest petsmart is amazing! It is two hours away but every chance I get I go. I have adopted twice from them, first time was my hamster Mia and second time was an older mouse girl who was over weight. I named the mouse Mitzy however she died a week later. I was told a couple got her(as a single mouse) for their children. When they noticed they where not caring for her and actually abusing her they brought her in. Mia, who is a Chinese Dwarf, was bought with another female. As they got older they started fighting, Chinese Dwarfs are non-social hamsters, and she hurt the other female so they gave her up.

They have a part of the store where cats, dogs and rabbits are for adoption from the shelter. They are there every day that I know of. The "smallcritters" adoption place us back at the fish. The cages are amazing and every animal gets a vet check and if needed treatment before going up. The guinea pigs are very lucky compared to other pet stores, they are in a HUGE cage, probably 8'x5' which is very diffrent from normal 10 piggies stuffed in a 30 gallon tank.
#7 Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candysmom View Post

Our closest petsmart is amazing! It is two hours away but every chance I get I go. I have adopted twice from them, first time was my hamster Mia and second time was an older mouse girl who was over weight. I named the mouse Mitzy however she died a week later. I was told a couple got her(as a single mouse) for their children. When they noticed they where not caring for her and actually abusing her they brought her in. Mia, who is a Chinese Dwarf, was bought with another female. As they got older they started fighting, Chinese Dwarfs are non-social hamsters, and she hurt the other female so they gave her up.

They have a part of the store where cats, dogs and rabbits are for adoption from the shelter. They are there every day that I know of. The "smallcritters" adoption place us back at the fish. The cages are amazing and every animal gets a vet check and if needed treatment before going up. The guinea pigs are very lucky compared to other pet stores, they are in a HUGE cage, probably 8'x5' which is very diffrent from normal 10 piggies stuffed in a 30 gallon tank.

Are the small animals actually up for adoption or being sold?
#8 Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM

The ones I got where for adoption. They take in any unwanted animals, give them a check up, keep them a few days and then put them out on the floor for adoption. Any animals brought in do not go in the for sale tanks but go for adoption. The adoption section at the petsmart I am talking about is a tiny moving cart by the fish where each animal is housed alone in cages with their own wheel and igloo. The hamsters/mice/chinchillas/guinea pigs forsale are in the middle of the store in a huge block thing full of pretty nice size tanks set in the walls of the block.
#9 Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM

That's cool that they do that. I know of petsmart doing it occasionally, sometimes I see a rat or a hamster, but never a store that normally has small animals up for adoption. Very cool.
#10 Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Everytime we go in there is between one and three for adoption. It is so hard to say no :P
#11 Old 03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The ones I got where for adoption. They take in any unwanted animals, give them a check up, keep them a few days and then put them out on the floor for adoption. Any animals brought in do not go in the for sale tanks but go for adoption. The adoption section at the petsmart I am talking about is a tiny moving cart by the fish where each animal is housed alone in cages with their own wheel and igloo. The hamsters/mice/chinchillas/guinea pigs forsale are in the middle of the store in a huge block thing full of pretty nice size tanks set in the walls of the block.

Wow. I worked at Petsmart a few years ago, and we were forbidden from taking "donations." I guess it sounds like yours had a special adoption section, as opposed to taking donated pets and putting them in with the pets for sale. I was always tempted to adopt the pets myself when people came in wanting to get rid of guinea pigs or fish.
#12 Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband never really wants to look at the cats and dogs for adoption, since we arent looking specifically for one, but I love to at least visit witht them. Oddly, he always wants to look at the reptiles.
#13 Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Everytime we go in there is between one and three for adoption. It is so hard to say no :P

I know what you mean! I can't say no to an animal in need!
#14 Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't resist getting Poppy! Got her March first
#15 Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 PM

It is hard but the thing is the more animals you have to care for the less time you have for each one due to cleaning and spreading your love.
#16 Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't go to pets mart but all they have up for adoption are cats, but they do have a lot of other animals like birds, rats and the like. I think last time they even had chinchillas.

(I'd love to have one of those one day because they're so cute and seem so sweet.

I think it's cute how they wash themselves in sand.)

When I was little I'd always drag my mom to pets stores. So much that she really hated it after a while. Oops. I also wanted to save every stray I came across.

Speaking of animals, I really hate the local pound AKA "animal shelter".

They've gotten a bit better over the years, but last time I was there I got wierded out because of all these creepy looking men around that were volunteering.

The dogs are kept in cages and look all depressed. The spot for the ones up for adoption smelled terrible from feces not being cleaned up immediately.

If I had the heart and the means I'd volunteer there, but I'm moving soon and I don't drive and I'm taking care of my mom. If I were rich I'd buy it and turn it into a no kill shelter with better facilities for the animals. That's like one of my dreams that's never gonna happen. The place has been around since I was a kid and it's actually where one of my dogs came from. (Long story there. He wasn't a adopted, but we were just his

foster family that became his permanant one because we fell in love. One of the best dogs we've ever had. His name is Cleveland after the now late Cleveland Amory of The Black Beauty Ranch.)

I know we do have a no-kill shelter where I live, but I have no idea if it's still in operation. I remember I tried to volunteer there when I was, like, 14 and they never

even called me back about it.

Sorry for getting off-topic.

I like Petsmart, anyway. They seem to take really good care of their animals, unlike many pet stores I've come across. It would probably be a good place to work at.
#17 Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSweet View Post

It would probably be a good place to work at.

I've read horror stories (on this forum and others) of people who worked at petco and petsmart. Apparently, it's not for animal lovers. Disregarding not thinking about the fact that the animals are being SOLD, and not adopting...(which is a huge factor) theres still the facts that:

You can't help who you sell them to. Someone can come in that knows nothing about animals, and the store is going to sell them the "product" because afterall it's a business, not for the animals. I will never forget reading the story here (I forget which member posted it, and if it was petco or petsmart), but they worked at the fish section and said they dragged a trashcan over whenever they got new fish in because of all the dead ones that they knew would be there. I'm also under the impression (for old employees) that these animals don't get medical care, and if they do, not the best care. They also rarely (if ever) get to spend time out of the cages.
#18 Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I've read horror stories (on this forum and others) of people who worked at petco and petsmart. Apparently, it's not for animal lovers. Disregarding not thinking about the fact that the animals are being SOLD, and not adopting...(which is a huge factor) theres still the facts that:

You can't help who you sell them to. Someone can come in that knows nothing about animals, and the store is going to sell them the "product" because afterall it's a business, not for the animals. I will never forget reading the story here (I forget which member posted it, and if it was petco or petsmart), but they worked at the fish section and said they dragged a trashcan over whenever they got new fish in because of all the dead ones that they knew would be there. I'm also under the impression (for old employees) that these animals don't get medical care, and if they do, not the best care. They also rarely (if ever) get to spend time out of the cages.

I've heard those stories too so whenever I go I always check to make sure the animals have food and water and make sure none are hurt.

I once saw a canary there that couldn't close his beak and couldn't eat. I told the girl there and she said it wasn't a big deal. Then she saw me taking pictures of the bird and she got pissed and said she would have to catch him with the net to put him in the back for the vet and it would scare him. Hmmm so its better to let him starve then to scare him for a minute?? Yeah I made her catch him and take him to the vet. It turned out he needed his beak trimmed.

Another time almost all the birds in one cage were missing lots of feathers and had scabs all over them. I asked why and the girl said that they were attacking each other. I said wouldn't it be a good idea to separate them then. She said yeah and they would do that. They wouldn't while I was there and I'm sure they never did.

I've had to point out multiple times when the small animals had no water. Its so depressing to go in there.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#19 Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM

That makes me so sad/mad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page