bad kitty is very smart - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

So hubby and I found treats that all the kitties really like. It is called whisker lickins crunch lovers in the tuna flavor. They sell it in a bag and then in a plastic container with a lid.

Our bad kitties tore into several of the bag kind so we decided to buy the kind in the plastic container figuring that this was a "safer" investment. Well, fuzzy has figured out how to open the darn containers.

Hubby found it on the floor last night open w/fuzzy with his face shoved into the container and then again this morning I found it on the floor open.

We put the stuff up on shelves etc ( we don't like to put it in a cabinet cause we give them and the puppy treats a lot & have no space for their food and treats and toys ) Well, he has figured out how to get on the tiniest of shelves and just knocks it down when he wants it.

I am trying to catch him doing this with my video cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

good luck with that! our cat had a bit of a fishfood addiction, and putting the bag atop an 8 foot high wobbly bookshelf with assorted obstacles in the way, or wedging it behind a bureaux with not enough clearance behind there to get your hand in, didn't stop him getting to it. cats are very very clever when it comes to snacks- and otherwise generally exceedingly sneaky and stubborn, and they have plenty of scheming time on their little paws.
#3 Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

hehe.. i know, we have four and they can put their little scheming minds together. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

awwww. sneaky kitties.
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

We have 3 cats, but Atticus is the treat stealer, the other two just wait for the fruits of his labor. In the past, I've had to keep cat treats in the fridge as it's the only place Atticus can't open -- though he knows how, he just doesn't have the leverage needed to break the seal. In my apartment I was keeping them in a kitchen drawer. He learned to open the cabinet under the drawer, pull the stuff down off the shelves, climb on the shelf, push the drawer out from the back, come out, jump on the counter, retrieve treats.

At our last house we kept the treats in the liquor cabinet above the fridge, since the fridge was built in and there was only about 6" hanging out at the top of the fridge. They were safe there... until we started to move. Without so much stuff on the counters and the top of the fridge, he started jumping up there, opening the cabinet, and pulling down the treats. Once my bf's parents were watching them while we were away for the weekend. They bought a canister of some sort of junky cat treats, but I'd left a note saying where their treats were so his parents just left the canister unopened on the table and gave them treats from our collection. When we got home, we found a weird chewed up purple lid and couldn't figure out what it was. His parents didn't mention that they left treats, and we didn't recognize it. A few weeks later I was cleaning and found a torn open plastic canister of treats under a side table in the dining room. They took it and hid it.

We also have to store all dry food in containers with screw-on lids. It's the only kind Att can't open. He has no problem with latches.

Now that we have the 3rd cat who is polydactyl, we joke that if only Atticus could work cooperative with Sir Didymus, he'd be unstoppable -- his brains and Sir Did's opposable thumbs!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

That's so sweet. The only thing my cat has learned to do is open the bathroom door while I'm trying to get a little privacy.
#7 Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEpiphany View Post

That's so sweet. The only thing my cat has learned to do is open the bathroom door while I'm trying to get a little privacy.

The kitten likes to sit in my lap and purr when I'm on the can It's really, really awkward.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

my cat is pretty sneaky and destructive. if i leave food or treats in his reach he'll shred the package. luckily for some reason he's a really bad jumper lol. he can't jump anything higher than the kitchen counter. so anything i want to keep away from him i just put on the fridge or in a high up shelf or cupboard. he opens the lower cupboards and cabinets with no problem though

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#9 Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I keep my cat's food and treats in a cabinet in the laundry room, and my cat managed to figure out a way to get the food by jumping up on top of the washing machine, opening the cabinet door, and tearing open the bags of food and treats. I now have to keep it all in tupperware containers. She'll probably figure out a way to get the lids off of those!

www.sharksavers.org
#10 Old 01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The kitten likes to sit in my lap and purr when I'm on the can It's really, really awkward.

lol.. my cats try to do that... they also like to drink from the toilet when the opportunity presents itself and will try to sit on the seat with me.. it is def awkward...

they also think it is their kitty kat duty to drink my bath water when I first get in the tub... the puppy likes to join in....
#11 Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe74 View Post

I keep my cat's food and treats in a cabinet in the laundry room, and my cat managed to figure out a way to get the food by jumping up on top of the washing machine, opening the cabinet door, and tearing open the bags of food and treats. I now have to keep it all in tupperware containers. She'll probably figure out a way to get the lids off of those!

yep, cause kitties are just good like that
#12 Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

We had the same problem with our cats. Each year they get different types of treats as presents. We had them wrapped under the tree 2 years ago-- BIG mistake. We awoke one morning to find each package in a different spot around the house, with a hole EATEN through them, and half the treats gone.

They also decided that they didn't want to wait for us to give them treats anymore, so they'd steal the packages from on top of our microwave cart where we kept them (before that we just kept them in the cabinet with their food, but they found those immediately. Each night we hear Fatty stick a paw in and throw the cabinet drawer open, looking for food.). After that, we had to start putting them in the drawer in the cart, that they can't possibly get at/open up. The ones in the plastic container had to go in there as well, as they'd smack it off of the cart so that it would bust open on the floor. They all very clearly recognize the sound of that drawer opening, so we can't keep anything else in there without winding up with 4 very demanding cats surrounding us within seconds, circling closer and closer...
#13 Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

wow you guys all have smart cats! I have 2, and they're either not that bright or not that determined. Cleo is polydactyl and even with the "thumbs" she doesn't bother trying to open packages!
#14 Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Thats a really clever kitty!

The only thing I would worry about is him eating too many treats. You don't want him to get sick.
#15 Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

well, fuzzy the cleverest kitty knocked them down and left a mess for me to clean up after he took what he wanted... He knows when to quit thank goodness.
#16 Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nTray View Post

We had the same problem with our cats. Each year they get different types of treats as presents. We had them wrapped under the tree 2 years ago-- BIG mistake. We awoke one morning to find each package in a different spot around the house, with a hole EATEN through them, and half the treats gone.

They also decided that they didn't want to wait for us to give them treats anymore, so they'd steal the packages from on top of our microwave cart where we kept them (before that we just kept them in the cabinet with their food, but they found those immediately. Each night we hear Fatty stick a paw in and throw the cabinet drawer open, looking for food.). After that, we had to start putting them in the drawer in the cart, that they can't possibly get at/open up. The ones in the plastic container had to go in there as well, as they'd smack it off of the cart so that it would bust open on the floor. They all very clearly recognize the sound of that drawer opening, so we can't keep anything else in there without winding up with 4 very demanding cats surrounding us within seconds, circling closer and closer...

hehe. we give out cats and the doggie a stocking full of stuff every year. I def won't stick them under the tree... hehehe
#17 Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

haha

Cats can be so funny sometimes.
#18 Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Moo will also chew threw bags of dry cat food even if his bowl is full, so we have to hide those. he usually finds them or i forget to put them away one time or something and from then on i'm pouring his food out from a hole in the side of the bag instead of the top lol. but it seems that once he gets one good hole in it he won't go after it any more. i'm not real sure he's after the food or if he just likes to tear the paper. he loves flyer day, when we get all the flyers in the mailbox. he'll sit on the couch beside me and as i'm done reading each flyer i lay it overtop of him. he goes bonkers tearing them apart

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page