pedi-paws - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone ever used this? I have been thinking about getting one to use on my rather large puppies nails. I am afraid of hurting her is the only reason I haven't gotten one yet. Her nails really need trimming (she likes to put a leg on us when she wants attention) and I keep getting scratched. I know she tries to groom them herself but it isn't going so hot .

Thanks

Laney

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My friend is a vet tech and says they're awful. She's tried to use it and says it's nearly impossible to manage a squirming dog's foot to get their toe in this little hole over and over again and the noise bothers them and it's just bad. A dremmel tool would do essentially the same thing and be easier to manage, and you can also use it for other things around the house!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have one. My dog doesn't squirm when I use it.

Don't turn it on and come at your dog with it right off the bat. Let them check it out first. When I got mine I let my dog look at it while it was off. Then I turned it on and let her check it out. Then the first time I used it I just did one claw and gave her a treat. Now I can do all of her paws in one sitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmm... Maybe it would be easier to take her to a groomer who has experience with such things but she is so scared of stuff. She is getting better but she doesn't like loud noisy things.
#5 Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not that loud.

If she's afraid of the little pedi-paw noise then she'll be afraid of the groomer too.
#6 Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Not that I, uh, got suckered into buying one or anything, but they're pretty useless for larger dogs because they lack the power needed to grind thicker nails. They come to a complete stop when a bigger dog's claw comes in contact with the drum part. It might not be bad though as an introduction to a dremel-like tool and could possibly be more effective on a puppy's nails than it was on my dogs. (Not that I got roped roped into buying one, I swear!) They do make some noise but nothing close to an actual dremel.

If you aren't comfortable with the nail trimming thing this go around, then take her to a groomer and watch what he/she does but I really recommend you let your dog get used to you handling her paws and nails. This way you can easily do her nail trimming yourself which saves money and will potentially be less stressful to your pup since she sounds a bit fearful of things in general.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#7 Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

It's not that loud.

If she's afraid of the little pedi-paw noise then she'll be afraid of the groomer too.

I know. She is weird though. Sometimes she is totally comfy with things you might not expect and then other littler things that seem like no biggie totally freak her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

Not that I, uh, got suckered into buying one or anything, but they're pretty useless for larger dogs because they lack the power needed to grind thicker nails. They come to a complete stop when a bigger dog's claw comes in contact with the drum part. It might not be bad though as an introduction to a dremel-like tool and could possibly be more effective on a puppy's nails than it was on my dogs. (Not that I got roped roped into buying one, I swear!) They do make some noise but nothing close to an actual dremel.

If you aren't comfortable with the nail trimming thing this go around, then take her to a groomer and watch what he/she does but I really recommend you let your dog get used to you handling her paws and nails. This way you can easily do her nail trimming yourself which saves money and will potentially be less stressful to your pup since she sounds a bit fearful of things in general.

They would sell this type of dremmel tool at petsmart right? Wouldnt you think? I know she is okay with me touching her paws ( she lets me massage them. ) I think I will buy a tool (not neccesarily a pedi-paw) an find as much info as I can online.
#8 Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Just get a dremel-like rotary tool at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Dremel isn't the only manufacturer of them. I have used them successfully with my cats who hate having their feet messed with. It's not pleasant, but by using a dremel tool, I can trim one paw at a time rather than clip one claw before having an angry cat trying to rip my face off. The noise may freak them out at first, but they get used to it. With our cats, whenever the dremel comes out, treats do, so they are a little better with positive reinforcement.

This is the one I have.

#9 Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM

It looks like your dog probably has thick black nails like my Rascal does.

Tools like this do NOT work on him, atall.
#10 Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

It looks like your dog probably has thick black nails like my Rascal does.

Tools like this do NOT work on him, atall.

what do you suggest ? I think our dogs look kinda like twins... hehe & you are correct by the way about her nails.
#11 Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM

A groomer would probably be your best bet. Rascal used to let me clip his toenails but as he gets older he gets more flinchy (tries to pull his paw away) and I'm scared of cutting too far.
#12 Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

A groomer would probably be your best bet. Rascal used to let me clip his toenails but as he gets older he gets more flinchy (tries to pull his paw away) and I'm scared of cutting too far.

That is what I thought I might have to do. She already weighs around 60lbs and isn't a year old yet.
#13 Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi View Post

That is what I thought I might have to do. She already weighs around 60lbs and isn't a year old yet.

Though her being young should work to your advantage getting her used to nail trims. It would make it easier for you AND groomers!! No one likes to wrestle with a scared dog. For both of your comfort, just try one toe at a time. Just trim a little bit off the end, and praise praise treats treats (for both of you! haha). If you do it a little at a time you can usually see when you're getting close to hitting the quick (the inside of the nail starts to look softer... at least that's the best way i can describe it). Before you start, buy yourself some styptic powder from the pet store. It stops bleeding in case you hit a quick (which can bleed a TON but is really nothing serious!). It might help you to make an appointment to bring the dog to the vet and have a vet tech show you how to do it. It'll probably cost about $20, but it'll save you in the long run not always have to go somewhere to have it done.

Once it's warm out again (unless you're one of those lucky folks in a temperate climate), lots of long walks on concrete help to wear down long doggie nails.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

i do take her out on the "sidewalk" she always turns around after we have been out there about 3 minutes, she is crazy like that
#15 Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have one but the noise compltely freaked out one of my dogs. In these cases you have to slowly desensitize the dog to the device. You can start by smearing peanut butter on it and have your dog investigate it on his own while the machine is off. Then, you just turn it on and place it on the floor, again with peanut butter on it. It's a long process, and I've heard it works for a lot of people, but I've been too lazy so I just take both dogs to the groomer.

www.sharksavers.org
#16 Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a dremel tool that I got at Petsmart. I have one dog who doesn't mind at all and will just lay down while getting her nails trimmed. The other one (see avatar!) hates it but will eventually let me trim her nails too. I hate those clipper things.
#17 Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate nail clippers too, no matter how much experience you have clipping nails, cutting the wick is bound to happen sooner or later...messy and stressful!

i have a pedi-paws for my smaller dogs and i use my bf's dremel type tool for our 50lb guy. the pedi paws worked okay on his nails but i was having to change the sanding strip too often, so we switched to the tool.

when i get out the pedi paws i act excited and give a LOT of praise when they sit still. at first i had to just hold their paws near the tool (turned off) and eventually i would turn it on, and step by step they let me use it on them. I ALWAYS give treats after.

I really prefer this type of nail care over clipping, not just for the safety but also the nails are much more smooth and don't crack or splinter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page