VeggieBoards banner

microchipping

926 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dont_eat_bambi 
#1 ·
Where do pets usually get microchipped? I know she is microchipped and My puppy came to me with a line of hair on her ear that is missing. There is a circular raised scar type thing at the end of the line of missing hair. She doesn't act funny like anything is bothering her and I believe that the scar has always been there. Do you think that this is where her microchip may be? Or are they usually on a dogs neck or something? The scar is what worries me.

Thanks!

#2 ·
In dogs they are implanted on the back of the neck just between the sholder blades. Microchips, particually the old types, have been know to 'migrate' from their insertion point so it may well be a microchip that you can feel (like a grain of rice under the skin?) Mention it to the vet next time you go.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterpixie View Post

In dogs they are implanted on the back of the neck just between the sholder blades. Microchips, particually the old types, have been know to 'migrate' from their insertion point so it may well be a microchip that you can feel (like a grain of rice under the skin?) Mention it to the vet next time you go.
I think I a am going to email the place I got her from and see if they know. It could also be from where she had to have some sample skin taken cause she had non cantagious manger. do you think? It is about the size of a tick and shaped like one as well but not a tick.

#5 ·
weird. I've never seen a microchip migrate north. They often migrate down the shoulder, and into the side or the pouchy skin around the upper arm. You could always pop into the vet and have them scan her neck to see where the chip is. They shouldn't charge you anything for that!!

It could be a wart. The line of missing fur is bizarre though. I'd have it looked at just to be sure it's nothing.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

weird. I've never seen a microchip migrate north. They often migrate down the shoulder, and into the side or the pouchy skin around the upper arm. You could always pop into the vet and have them scan her neck to see where the chip is. They shouldn't charge you anything for that!!

It could be a wart. The line of missing fur is bizarre though. I'd have it looked at just to be sure it's nothing.
I never thought about that. I guess animals do get warts.

#11 ·
i emailed the organization that i adopted her from and she said that she thought that it was a scar. she also said it looked like something had been biting her alot when she got her. pooor baby.

I will get the vet to look at it when I take her to get more heart worm preventative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.