Any Lab Owning Tips? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

In a little less then a month I will be owning a nine year old Black Lab. I am adopting him from a friend who is getting rid of her Guide Dog because he is retiring and she is getting a new one Anyway, I hear he eats everything, little toys, socks, ect... Any tips for a Lab Newbie. Never owned one before in my life but have babysat one several times, but he was an angle and also a Guide Dog. Anyway, any Newbie Labrador Owner tips you could give me?

^Cool story, bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Enjoy your new friend!

ETA: Oh, and keep the lid on your food garbage. Labs like to eat, and some just keep eating till the food is gone!

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#3 Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Labs are a gundog breed so like to be given a job to do, if he has still retained his guide dog training then keep giving him tasks to do. Retrieveing games are something that most labs love also anything to do with water.

One of the most important things in labs is to keep their weight down, you should be able to feel his ribs with a light touch but not see them. Labs are very into food so keep him occupied with a stuffed kong, chews, use his meals for training or scatter his food in the yard for him to find. Regular exercise is also essential.

Older labs can be prone to joint complaints so consider adding glucosamine and chondroitin to his food and keep and eye out for signs of hip and elbow dysplacia and arthritis. Also keep and eyue out for ear infections, the shape of their ears means they are prone to them.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't let him get too bored for too long. They need lots of play, and as glitterpixie said, they like to have a job.

Move anything at tail level that you might want in one peice!

Good for you on adopting him!!
#5 Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Labs are working dogs and needs LOTS of exercise and stimulation. They are not couch dogs. They also think that anything that can fit down their throat is food so you have to watch leaving things around (like you would with a small child).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the tip guys. He will have lots of stuff to do here I plan on a walk every evening because I can't do two walks a day what with five hours out of the house *There are other people there though so it is not like he has to sit all day with no one around to play with*

I am trying to stock up on toys since Pheobie rarely plays with them, much rather chase he collar *Strange I know*

I have heard about the hip problems they have. thanks guys, still open to anything else

^Cool story, bro
#7 Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreestylePup View Post

Thanks for the tip guys. He will have lots of stuff to do here I plan on a walk every evening because I can't do two walks a day what with five hours out of the house *There are other people there though so it is not like he has to sit all day with no one around to play with*

I am trying to stock up on toys since Pheobie rarely plays with them, much rather chase he collar *Strange I know*

I have heard about the hip problems they have. thanks guys, still open to anything else

Five hours isn't much time out of the house every day. That's 19 hours left to go on 2 half hour walks... and 18 hours still to spare!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 AM

excercise is definately the most important part. I have a 3 year old yellow lab and they definately need to be excercised regularly. Like others posted, they love having a job to do. My lab loves going to the dog park and jumping off the dock into the doggie lake you might want to try that out. He even loves swimming in our pool :-p Get toys that are VERY strong...otherwise you'll be wasting money on toys that will last no longer than the trip home. May i suggest going to a sports store and actually buying a raquetball as opposed to a ball that you can buy at the local pet store or whatnot...they are extremely durable and will last a long long time. Feed them quality dog food (not the crap you get at the grocery store). It even helps to find food and treats with added glucosamine for their joints and whatnot. Just love him and he'll love you back tenfold.

Best of luck! Please let us know with any more questions and keep us updated! We love dogs
#9 Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Watch his weight and keep anything that might fit down his throat out of his reach - you wouldn't believe that daft things that dogs eat (threaded needles, anyone?!). Enjoy your new lab! He sounds like a sweet dog, and deserves his nice retirement home with you
#10 Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post

Watch his weight and keep anything that might fit down his throat out of his reach - you wouldn't believe that daft things that dogs eat (threaded needles, anyone?!). Enjoy your new lab! He sounds like a sweet dog, and deserves his nice retirement home with you

Thanks No telling how him and my dog Pheobie will be getting along though. She is a little 7 pound toy poodle and he will be a 60 pound lab. lol, anyway thanks for the tips. The reason his owner could not keep him after he retired is that she will be getting a new Guide Dog. She lives in a tiny apartment and works all day. She does not think it would seem fair for the lab to sit alone in an apartment all day long.

^Cool story, bro
#11 Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you keep lots of detergent with bleach in it on hand for keeping those coats white, and apple cider vinegar should remove any water spots from the test tubes.

Oh, not that kind of lab.

My lab/collie mix wanted to chew everything. Some of my Barbie dolls and the concordance and back cover of my Bible were casualties. (I got him when I was nine.) I don't remember too much about those days except he grew out of it and rarely wanted to chew on stuff after he was four or five. He loved walks although he was not an especially hyper dog like your lapdogs would be.

*sigh* I miss him. He died two and a half years ago.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Make sure you keep lots of detergent with bleach in it on hand for keeping those coats white, and apple cider vinegar should remove any water spots from the test tubes.

Oh, not that kind of lab.

My lab/collie mix wanted to chew everything. Some of my Barbie dolls and the concordance and back cover of my Bible were casualties. (I got him when I was nine.) I don't remember too much about those days except he grew out of it and rarely wanted to chew on stuff after he was four or five. He loved walks although he was not an especially hyper dog like your lapdogs would be.

*sigh* I miss him. He died two and a half years ago.

Sorry about him passing away. I would imagine, Border Collies where bread to chase cattle and sheep all day and labs where trained to hunt, I bet he loved walks I am really excited. Every day it is getting closer and closer to me getting him Pheobie is not hyper, she happens to be a really lazy dog. If we are not working out or walking or training, she sleeps. *Yes I work out with my dog*

^Cool story, bro
#13 Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

they are very smart and can trick you into thinking that they are going potty when they aren't (just so she can go outside) . my nine MONTH old black lab mix puppy does that. She also eats anything and everything she can find. O and she snores as loud as my hubby. I just wanted to share. I know that isn't really constructive advice. Good luck with your doggie. I hope they both get along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page