Roommates cats are not vaccinated, can this affect my cats? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Beginner

I have the most irresponsble roommate ever, and shes a horrible pet owner I as well as a neighbor have been calling spca for two weeks now they came out once but nobody was here.

her cats are 8 months old and she still has not got them spayed she said she cant afford it, I told her its a law now and she can get done for free or cheap, well then the other day she said she looked into but cant get them spayed because she NEVER got them vaccinated. I have two cats, and my other roomie has a cat. is it dangerous to have these unvaccinated cats in our house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Do they ever go outside?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM

I would take them to the vet myself!

But, yeah, do they go outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginner

no they stay inside.

so is it dangerous for my cats to be around the other roomies cats who havent had any vaccantions ever?

do I need to tell her her cats cant leave her room til they are vaccinated?

Also as I said myself, my neighbor and other roomie have been calling and emailing the spca about how she negelets are cats and cant afford to take care of them. I talked to someone from the spca this morning and he blew off and said it sounds like a "roommate dispute"? I dunno want to do?
#5 Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

If they're all indoor cats (meaning not going out and being exposed to the things for which the vaccination would protect), I personally wouldn't freak about it. I would probably still suggest to her that she have it done, but I wouldn't ask that she keep her cats confined to one room.
#6 Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure where you live but here in Calif you can get your pets fixed without them being vaccinated.

I have never vaccinated any of my cats because of all the horror stories I've heard about tumors and they have never had a problem, and I've had cats for over 25 years. They all are fixed though and none of the vets worried about whether or not they had any shots.

If they are all indoor cats there shouldn't be a problem with them being together.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#7 Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

If they're indoors they don't necessarily need to be vaccinated (I'm not a huge fan of vaccinations, it their immune systems are kept strong), and a spay is not contingent upon that. For indoor cats I probably wouldn't vaccinate.

They DO need to be spayed though. Since you are the roommate, and, as you say, it can be done "free or cheap," and your roommate refuses to do it, you need to take responsibility for this. Put aside the "That's not fair - they're her cats!" stuff, and just take care of it. They will be difficult to live with if they're not fixed (possibly spraying and fighting for a male, and irritating noise/behavior for a female), and they'll likely get out at some point (roommate is irresponsible). Even though you'll probably end up moving out soon, you need to do it for the welfare of the cats and to prevent more unwanted kittens. Will you do that?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost three cats within months of each other due to vaccine related cancer. If the cats are strictly indoors and don't have any disease, vaccines are not just unnecessary but can pose a serious threat to their health down the road. You should, however, continue to urge your roommate to spay and soon to prevent many surgical complications that can occur in older animals.

I don't know what state you live in but here's a national link for low cost spay/neuter programs.

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

I'm sure you can also find programs in your area by googling.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#9 Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I would not vaccinate my cats if they were inside only.
#10 Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Beginner

The biggest issue is that if they haven't been to the vet you have no idea what these kittens could have. There are highly contageous kitty ailments that can most certainly affect your cats, regardless of vaccinations. Feline HIV and respiratory infections (particularly FCV) are very contagious and deadly, and if these cats have not been to a vet and tested they could be spreading that to your cats. FCV is often latent in kittens and you won't be aware until it has spread to the entire kitty family. She needs to get them to a vet and be responsible for those little guys.
#11 Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoesVeg View Post

The biggest issue is that if they haven't been to the vet you have no idea what these kittens could have. There are highly contageous kitty ailments that can most certainly affect your cats, regardless of vaccinations. Feline HIV and respiratory infections (particularly FCV) are very contagious and deadly, and if these cats have not been to a vet and tested they could be spreading that to your cats. FCV is often latent in kittens and you won't be aware until it has spread to the entire kitty family. She needs to get them to a vet and be responsible for those little guys.

FIV (HIV is humans only) is not very contagious and not very deadly. It's spread through cat bites and can lie dormant for years and may never affect a cat's health. Like HIV, it can supress the immune system and you will see the cat get odd diseases.

Calici virus (FVC) causes respiratory infections and can be a major problem. This is the major reason why even indoor only cats should be vaccinated as kittens. It can also cause very painful oral ulcers. It is one of two major causes of respiratory disease in kittens and it can lead to pneumonia and death. Luckily, it's not common in adult cats.

If your cat is vaccinted, then you don't have to be too worried if your roommate's cat gets those diseases. The main concern you should have is intestinal parasites, especially if the cats share a litter box.

Most, if not all vets in my area require at least a rabies vaccine. Almost all places in the US require it by law (I can't think of any that don't, maybe Hawaii). The "disptemper" vaccine includes protection against calici virus, to which a stressed out cat is very suseptable to in a clinic setting.

Don't get too excited over the vaccine induced cancer, that is a rare cancer and becoming rarer due to changes being made in the vaccines. Cats are more likely to get the diseases than the cancer. My indoor only cats get vaccinated for rabies and "distemper" every three years. I've seen them nose to nose with cats outside the window.

The vaccines you shouldn't bother with for inside cats are leukemia, FIV, FIP, giardia, bordetella and ringworm. For those with cats that go out, you need to check what's prevelant in your area and decide.

If you can find a free clinic, you should bring the cat in on your own, if for no other reason than your own sanity (sse previous post about in heat cats). They often also sell cheap vaccines as well.
#12 Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks for clarifying Cheeky. I volunteer at an orphanage in my vet's office and our kitties are often quarantined due to contagious disease where we are not supposed to handle them without washing hands in between and changing clothing before going home to our pets. Just makes me nervous when people aren't being responsible with the little guys.
#13 Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

Most, if not all vets in my area require at least a rabies vaccine. Almost all places in the US require it by law (I can't think of any that don't, maybe Hawaii). The "disptemper" vaccine includes protection against calici virus, to which a stressed out cat is very suseptable to in a clinic setting.

Dogs are required to have the rabies vaccine. Cats aren't in a lot of places. I've lived in most Southern Calif counties and they weren't required in any of them.

Thanks for the info on the diseases.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page