Vet visits are always tough.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Beginner

Okay, so my cat, Mullet, was limping the yesterday when I went out back. I told my dad. Always love the "nice" comments he gives me when I tell one of the cats need to go to the vet, "Tell him to suck it up." etc.

Honestly were not a family who is always financially good, big family, tons of pets. So we squeeze by with only one parent working(long story).

So we arrive, wait a brutal hour. We get in and the tech checks him out, weighs him and then deals with the injured paw. Of course being an owner, I'm not to fond of the "motherly" holding way, I think its only necessary when its really bad. Plus there is the part where Mullet hates being handled after his accident(we believe someone either hurt him or he was hit by a car), he fractured(sp?), his pelvic bone. So now touching his legs, front or back, makes him very unpleasant to be around.

Another thing, where are all the cat people, every time we go to the visit, the office is FILLED with dogs everywhere, and we always the only people with a cat.

So anyways the real vet comes in, never saw this one before. He looks at him and asks questions, then he asks me a question that felt like I got shot in the heart.

"Has he been tested for feline leuk..." (Belle died from feline leuk..also is another reason I hate the rough handling of my cats, even if my family says they werent rough, i just had to watch Belle be put in a restraining jacket)

Me: -hearts starts pounding, pushing all the past thoughts about it. And thinking "dont cry dont cry"-

"Yes, he has been checked and has had all his shots."

Him: "Was he sick when you adopted him?"

Me: "Not that I can remember, we brought him here for his first visit like always."

So he checks out the paw. And I knew it was my fault, I had seen something wrong but didn't think much when I first saw it. It was inflammed and infected. So he got a shot and two things of medicine.

And now is living the good life, chilling upstairs with me and Blade(they were adopted together and raised together). Really only matters when he starts miss behaving and doesnt want the good life, and wants to run outside with no doors or walls. Though Blade is already extremely JEALOUS, probably because Mullet slept with me and gets the attention that is supposed to be his.

BUUUUT.....

Why are vets sooooo darn expensive?!?!? Me going to the doctor for a shot, $20 bucks. Cat goes to vet for meds and one shot, over $100 dollars. Office visit alone was $36 dollars!!! I should invent Pet Insurance when you go to a vet, b/c seriously vets office cost sooo much money.

In the end, I would still pay whatever they told me to, I'd do whatever was possible for my animals well being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh yes, the dreaded vet visit!

My dog Carl hates going to the vet. He practically has anxiety attacks in the waiting room. He sits on my lap and nearly hyperventilates.

When he notices that we're getting close to the vet's office he starts crying. When we get into the vet office he tries to escape out the door. It's stressful for me too!

Not to mention the vet charges an arm and a leg for something as simple as a routine check up

Not good for a poor college student!
#3 Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Pet insurance already exists.

I'm sorry about your cat, I hope he feels better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, you can get pet insurance. I think it would depend on how much worth it would be in the long run.

Hope your kitty feels better.
#5 Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101 View Post

Me going to the doctor for a shot, $20 bucks. Cat goes to vet for meds and one shot, over $100 dollars.

$20 for YOU to see a doctor is probably because that's your co-pay. (insurance picked up the rest)

I hope your baby gets to feeling better soon.

BTW, if you don't have a pet carrier, it might be a good idea to get one. It makes the ride to and from the vets easy peasy and it's safe for them to be in when you walk into the vet's office full of dogs.
#6 Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEpiphany View Post

$20 for YOU to see a doctor is probably because that's your co-pay. (insurance picked up the rest)

I was thinking that too.
#7 Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Oh we have one, he absolutely hates being in the cage in the car..can't even hear the radio over his crying. he is calm and collected at the vet, but in the car, just not fun. plus he is a very attached to people, so im sure he likes to be on a person instead of cage.

Nooo who stole my pet insurance idea? Blast them! There goes my millions ^^

He looks like he is feeling good. You should see how he is sleeping, all spread out, just out cold right next to me. I always have to check so I don't step on him.

But omg the twice a day medicine, is HELL. He does not like me giving him the medicine, and he got me good in the chest and on my leg. I was like I'll forgive you because your hurt, but once your better I'm trimming your nails! It either tastes really bad or he is just being a big baby.
#8 Old 01-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

I hate vet visits too. I still haven't paid off the £460 bill from last Christmas when my cat had to have a lot of dental work. Insurance doesn't even cover dental work so I'm relieved I don't have insurance, it'd be money down the drain. I do have insurance for my reptiles though... things hardly ever go wrong with reptiles, but when they do is hella expensive.
#9 Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Pet insurance looks like a rip-off. It's better to put the money you'd spend on it in a savings account.
#10 Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Beginner

I have 4 greyhounds, and we seem to live at the vet's office. Their prices are rising, and as they add more technological gadgets, our visits get more and more expensive. I seldom get out of there for under 100$.

My understanding is that most folks find vet insurance rather a wash. Since my hounds are retired racers, adopted when they were older, it sounds like we wouldn't get a very good rate. So we simply try to save as much money as we can so we have a safety net in the bank for vet emergencies.
#11 Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101 View Post

BUUUUT.....

Why are vets sooooo darn expensive?!?!? Me going to the doctor for a shot, $20 bucks. Cat goes to vet for meds and one shot, over $100 dollars. Office visit alone was $36 dollars!!! I should invent Pet Insurance when you go to a vet, b/c seriously vets office cost sooo much money.

In the end, I would still pay whatever they told me to, I'd do whatever was possible for my animals well being.

Vet school costs the same as med school, but the take home pay is much less. A starting salary is about $55,000 per year (depends on where you live and what you work on), I could earn similar if I went to truck driving school (according to the radio ads). My debt load is about twice my mortgage!!!

Add to that the rising cost of paying the staff and utility bills and all that stuff, plus the newer better equipment that are expected now a days. Many clinics are expected to have an ultrasound machine, in house blood testing (can't get the supplies for older models) and laser for surgery. There are also better monitoring devices for surgery and fluid pumps for delivering IV fluids (just hanging the bag on the cage above is no longer acceptable). The newer, safer and more effective medications being used aren't cheap either.

Pet insurance can be good if you're an unlucky person or have a dog prone to problems. Boxers and retrievers tend to get cancers, schnauzers are prone to diabetes and pancreatitis, bully breeds often have allergies, DJD in large to giant breed dogs and it seemed like every disease listed in vet school had german shepherd on the predisposed list. I've seen many clients agree to tests for simple vomitting because they have the insurance (must offer and allow client to decline, not my place to decide for them). I've also had many people praise insurance for paying for broken bones and foriegn bodies and a multitude of other expensive problems, it enabled them to choose the best treatment rather than the most affordable one.

I'm not saying that some vets aren't price goudging and heartless to the indivdual's plight, but there is some justification to the high prices.
#12 Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My pets are insured, and your vet is actually really cheap. It costs almost $60 for an office visit at the vet here. I was annoyed recently because my kitten went in for shots and I was charged a full comprehensive exam fee -- got an eye infection less than a week later and got charged ANOTHER full comprehensive exam fee. I worked at veterinary offices for five years and not a single vet I worked with ever would have charged for a full exam less than a week after a full exam.

Really though, veterinary medicine is all the same stuff as human medicine, which isn't cheap. It's certainly something you need to consider before you adopt an animal.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Beginner

$40 something for an office visit here.
#14 Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Ah just wanted to update everyone on my cat's condition, his paw is looking a lot better. He'll let me touch and handle it, and I looked in the bottom of it and the skin is getting clear. Still hating the medicine still. he still has about a week and half left on it.
#15 Old 01-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad to hear his condition is improving!
#16 Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

I took my kitty to the vets today because he kept shaking his head and scratching his ear constantly. The vet said he has infections in both ears and we have to give him drops which he does not like at all!

It was £55 for the consultation, ear cleaner, ear drops and some paste to stop him coughing up hairballs.
#17 Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm taking my two cats to a grain and feed store this weekend for up to date shots. It runs low cost that way, I will be paying $60 total for rabies, leuk, distemperment, and deworming. They also do examinations. This is all done by a license vet who offers their service at this store once a month. Petco every other week does the same thing. Of course if you companion is injured, you should take it to a vet though. There are quite a few insurance companies that offer pet insurance, your parent should find out if theirs does. It is not a waste of money....it costs $5-$10 a month and depending on what is wrong I have seen some that cover up to a $1000 a year on a single injury. I think insurance is great for those unable to save for vet bills only.
#18 Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

try being stupid like me and taking four cats to the vet at one... bad idea... we used the cardboard carriers and the cats broke out in the car and such. they didnt freak out (it wasnt a long ride ) they just sat on the area between the passenger seats and rear glass. I am going to take them in pairs now I think and buy more plastic carriers thingies.

It only cost me 240$ or so at the vet I have been going to for all the kitties to have their shots and for one kitty (oldest) to have a physical , some type of blood test and some meds for some ear issue he has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page