Can you really train a kitty kitty...help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I think my cat Kiwi I have had for almost three years now. She is an ugly/cute tabby cat that I took in and I have had tons of patience with her!

Here is the great qualities about her....she cuddles at my feet early in the morning or lays behind my back close in my bed. I have a bad back and it just feels good. Almost 90% of the time she is so loyal to me and she follows me around the house(that gets on my nerves for some reason) and she loves blankets and she loves being in your lap and she loves to cuddle and she is my only cat that plays with my 20 month year old son and has patience with him and even rolls the balls and does the cutest things. Sounds great right? But you give her and inch and she takes a mile....She will dig and try to open the pantry to get food also. She is so overbearing.

She was my last cat I rescued and has a huge problem with my other female cat that is like my baby. She must be close to 56 in human years and she is beautiful. I rescued her when she was abused and she came along way and sometimes warms up to strangers and sometimes not. The problem is is that Kiwi attacks her all the time and gets super jealous of her. My other cat Parkay is a male around 28 years in human years.

The point is that I protect my older cats and I hate that Kiwi is such a bitty to them both. Also she is the only one that digs in the trash and jumps on the kitchen counters! She knocks things off my kitchen counters on purpose it seems and she loves to lay in the hallway and watch me rock my son to sleep at night and loves to sleep on his changing table!

I guess it's just my other two cats I have had for years and they are just calm and they can't do no wrong! lol It's almost like they know the rules here or something.

Long post and thoughts for kitty lovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

One thing I've learnt with cats is that if you appear to be distressed by aspects of their behaviour, this makes their behaviour even worse.

When mine start fighting (real fighting) I used to get into a terrible state, splitting them up and causing the problem to last for sometimes days, however now I do almost nothing, other than keeping an eye on them. They become less agitated and just stop fighting. Now they very rarely fight, but when they do, its over before its started.

I can imagine what you do when Kiwi starts attacking your other cats. Probably what I used to do too. Your cats will see you getting into a state, they will become more agitated, Kiwi will continue attacking, whilst the attacked cats will become more agitated about being attacked. So next time, just don't do anything, and see what happens.

By the way, I think you're aging cats the way people age dogs, ie. 1 dog year = 7 human years. In fact, the 1st year of a cat's life is equivalent to 15 human years, then each future year = 5 human years.

If I'm right, that makes the cats you mentioned 30 and 50 respectively. Not much difference, but over time you'd be aging them too much.

PS. If you find a way of stopping her jumping on the kitchen counter, let me know!
#3 Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Licence, you are correct. I was way off in my math. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, training kittehs... My bf & I have debated this at length. I think it is theoretically possible. But, kittehs are a different animal. Pun intended. I think if they want to learn they can and will. Yet, they are very single minded and seem to have no issues with abandoning their training when it serves them to do so. I guess it's just something that takes a ton of time and patience with cats. Maybe, eventually, they will get it.

We had to train ours not to run out the balcony door (waay too high for our clumsy kitty) and not to jump on the kitchen counter (waay too close to the stovetop which she would often jump onto). The only thing that worked (and I hated doing it but it was the only thing that worked in a hurry to preserve her wellbeing) was to sprinkle her with a little water whenever she did these behaviors. It worked in a hurry! She still thinks about it after all this time, but generally speaking it did work for us.

Meanwhile, I think License is onto something with the below post.
#5 Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I did the water bottle thing a few times in the past years ago with my other two. Maybe that is why they are good kitties. lol. I've even heard to put vinegar in the water but I would never do that.

I think with Kiwi it's just her darn personality. I can just walk down the hall and she jumps off the counter or stops doing what she knows she is not suppose to do if she hears me. She has to be the weirdest cat I have ever known.

My other cats just seem to respond to the rules and they really don't have much issues. Maybe once in a blue moon they will jump on the kitchen counter, but never like Kiwi does. I swear that cat loves to be rebellious and it's almost like she knows she has done wrong and kisses up really well. lol

She is also very little in size and she acts like she-woman in this house.
#6 Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, she-kitteh! It's a case of little cat syndrome...
#7 Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

The main thing with cats (and other animals, including children) is that NO means "not while I'm looking". My little kitty (almost 6 years) still gets up on my kitchen counter to lick my dishes (I keep dirty dishes stacked until I wash them). I try to hide or soak the most "interesting" ones. I also have a couple of towels for putting under them when they dry, she likes to sit on those. If I have the window open and blinds up, she'll look out the window (doesn'y matter that there's an open window about 6 feet away with a purposely wide ledge for comfy cat perching and the same view).

Any way, in order to keep her off stuff, you have to have better options available or somehow block her access. I have empty boxes on my fridge for that reason. You also have to put away anything she can move (movable = cat toy). If all that fails, you can get a "scat mat", it's a mat that's either plugs in or is powered by a 9 volt battery. When the cat or other animal touches it, they get a very mild shock (I've touched one and it's no worse than static shock).

As for fighting, you can physically separate them when you aren't there to prevent major blood shed, but for the most part you have to let them work out their own issues. Often they develop truces, and you have to be neutral. Cats don't have a heirarchy like dogs, at least not that structured of one.
#8 Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeVegChick View Post

Ah, training kittehs... My bf & I have debated this at length. I think it is theoretically possible. But, kittehs are a different animal. Pun intended. I think if they want to learn they can and will. Yet, they are very single minded and seem to have no issues with abandoning their training when it serves them to do so. I guess it's just something that takes a ton of time and patience with cats. Maybe, eventually, they will get it.

We had to train ours not to run out the balcony door (waay too high for our clumsy kitty) and not to jump on the kitchen counter (waay too close to the stovetop which she would often jump onto). The only thing that worked (and I hated doing it but it was the only thing that worked in a hurry to preserve her wellbeing) was to sprinkle her with a little water whenever she did these behaviors. It worked in a hurry! She still thinks about it after all this time, but generally speaking it did work for us.

Meanwhile, I think License is onto something with the below post.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's easy to teach cats right and wrong, what they are allowd and not allowd, and they know very well, but I think it usually depends on their mood and whether they feel like listening or not.
#9 Old 12-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Consistency, consistency, consistency. It also sounds like Kiwi is a bit young yet and is still full of spunk and boundary testing Just be consistent of what you'll allow and hope for the best, after all, Kiwi is a cat it's really up to her on what she'll learn. My male cat Simon attacks his littermate Gracie when she lays on my legs at night, I have learned to reach down and start giving him a little attention pre-attack so he decides against it. Sometimes it works, sometimes the fur flies......
#10 Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

See how Kiwi is on the bottom and we had to buy new wood blinds because of her.

#11 Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

And maybe I should learn to size a pic.
#12 Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

And maybe I should learn to size a pic.

I don't know how to do that either!

Your kitties are adorable!
#13 Old 12-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I decided long ago trying to teach cats to stay off of things took more energy than it's worth. I just wipe down countertops with bleach water before preparing food, because of the litterbox thing, and other than that don't worry about it. Of course I also share food with my dogs, so I might be too gross for some people.

Frankly, cats are cleaner than some people I know.
#14 Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

Here is the great qualities about her....she cuddles at my feet early in the morning or lays behind my back close in my bed. I have a bad back and it just feels good. Almost 90% of the time she is so loyal to me and she follows me around the house(that gets on my nerves for some reason) and she loves blankets and she loves being in your lap and she loves to cuddle and she is my only cat that plays with my 20 month year old son and has patience with him and even rolls the balls and does the cutest things. Sounds great right? But you give her and inch and she takes a mile....She will dig and try to open the pantry to get food also. She is so overbearing.

...she is the only one that digs in the trash and jumps on the kitchen counters! She knocks things off my kitchen counters on purpose it seems and she loves to lay in the hallway and watch me rock my son to sleep at night and loves to sleep on his changing table!

I agree with the others about the fighting.

The other stuff...I like cats with a lot of will and personality. She'll be a cat about whom you'll have many fun stories. Honestly I'd just accept that she's a cat who gets into things and make accomodations (like a covered trashcan), and make things safe for her and the others when she jumps up where she's not supposed to. Some day she'll be suffering with arthritis or kidney failure or something and won't be able to do those things she enjoys and get into mischief, and you'll probably miss it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Squirt guns.
#16 Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Squirt guns.

Ha-ha. The kids would love to do that.

Irizary, very good point. Thanks everyone for the advice.
#17 Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Okie dokie, she is a beautiful gray tabbie! They are spunky by nature!! I think your best bet is going to be having everyone else in the house adapt to her....
#18 Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Squirt guns.

I've tried that before and it works pretty well if they don't see them and you are extremely consistent. I don' know many people with enough stamina for it. I have one now though that is addicted to water and would purposely misbehave if it meant he got a little squirt
#19 Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoesVeg View Post

Okie dokie, she is a beautiful gray tabbie! They are spunky by nature!! I think your best bet is going to be having everyone else in the house adapt to her....

I've never had a gray tabbie so I didn't know they were spunky by nature until I saved her life. I think we pretty much adapt to her. There is no training that cat, I swear.
#20 Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha, I just walked into the kitchen and she was sleeping in my sons high chair, on top of his bib. Earlier today she was in his room laying on a blanket that he threw on the floor and jumps on the changing table. She wants to be a baby with all the attention. lol

Anything new in the house my other cats,explore and they get over it fast. They are not overbearing like Kiwi is. She is jealous as can be. She just jumped in my bed kissing up. I am just petting her now.
#21 Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

PS. If you find a way of stopping her jumping on the kitchen counter, let me know!

+1!!!

I have a cat who jumps up everywhere; nothing stops him! When he was 4 months old he jumped up on the kitchen counter right as we were making dinner. He landed on a cutting board, toppled the cutting board and it scared him so he jumped down. Unfortunately, a large chef's knife was on top of said cutting board and landed on Jack's tail. Luckily, he kept his tail, but it was a harrowing (& expensive) experience for all!

Also, Kiwi is very cute, even if she is a devil!
#22 Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard of this tale that cats can be trained.

I unfortunately, do not have one of these cats. She makes the rules, not I. We've tried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page