VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Companion Animals (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/24-companion-animals/)
-   -   What organization to adopt from?? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/24-companion-animals/91452-what-organization-adopt.html)

hicuphinduchest 12-11-2008 03:28 PM

I'm going to adopt a cat next week, but I'm not sure if I should adopt from my local SPCA or another organization.

If I adopt from the SPCA I will be supporting a great organization that does not ever euthanize the animals(idk about other city's SPCAs, but ours doesn't), and the cats all come with their shots, and are spayed/neutered.

If I adopt from another place like the Humane Society by my house, I will actually be rescuing a cat from being euthanized, but will also be giving money to an organization that is not no kill. Also the cats may or may not have their shots and be spayed/neutered.

Any advice or opinions? I'm having a ahrd time deciding.

Michael 12-11-2008 04:21 PM

Both organizations do good. Even no-kill shelters sometimes send animals to kill shelters or reject new animals when they're full (and who knows where they end up).

I say just find the cat you want.

mommycat 12-11-2008 05:15 PM

Our two cats came from Petsmart (Canada) which gives space to animal rescue groups for adoptions. Ours were from Animal Rescue Krew (ARK) which puts pets in foster homes (not kennels) until they are ready for adoption. I think they charged $75 each and the cats were spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. You had to sign an agreement that if you ever couldn't keep the animal you would call them and they would take it back, you can't give it away or send it to a shelter. The cats came from different homes originally (owners moved out of the country) but their habits are so similar (asking "permission" to get on the couch, won't eat "human" food, only eat crunchy cat food and treats) that I wondered if there was training program! What I liked was that we wanted two cats because we both work and wanted to be sure they would like each other and be companions when they were alone. The humane society wouldn't let us put two together to check them out. ARK would and we each picked one we liked (husband likes black cats and I like orange tabbies) and our first choices didn't get along (hissing). I picked a different orange tabby and they are such good friends you'd think they were litter mates.

Kiz 12-11-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I say just find the cat you want.

Getting the cat that suits you is the most important part, for sure.

Marie 12-11-2008 06:36 PM

Unless it's a lion.

cstadt 12-11-2008 07:15 PM

Maybe search online for a local no-kill place? You never know, I found one that way

hicuphinduchest 12-12-2008 06:00 AM

thanks guys! i never really thought about the fact that the spca rejects animals sometimes as michael said! so i guess i'll just go to all the places. i need to find a cat that gets along with a dog

rabid_child 12-12-2008 07:47 AM

I found a kitten this summer (running around in a busy intersection) and the rescue organizations wouldn't help me at all. In fact, they treated me like I was an irresponsible pet owner who let their cat have kittens and was trying to unload them, instead of someone who was laying on the street trying to extract a kitten from a car engine so he wouldn't get killed. *grumble* My point being, just because an organization is no-kill doesn't mean they're helpful. Might be better to GIVE money to a kill shelter/rescue an animal from one that might be killed -- more resources means they can support more animals. Just think that the money you give for the adoption will go towards the care of the cat who takes your cats place. Really, I don't think you can lose when you adopt a cat!

Michael 12-12-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicuphinduchest View Post

thanks guys! i never really thought about the fact that the spca rejects animals sometimes as michael said! so i guess i'll just go to all the places. i need to find a cat that gets along with a dog

Just to clarify, I'm not familiar with the SPCA or their policies so I'm not necessarily saying they do that. It's just common amongst no-kill shelters. They pretty much have to, otherwise they'd be overrun with animals.

hicuphinduchest 12-12-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Just to clarify, I'm not familiar with the SPCA or their policies so I'm not necessarily saying they do that. It's just common amongst no-kill shelters. They pretty much have to, otherwise they'd be overrun with animals.

i'm pretty sure they do, like you said they pretty much have too. it just never crossed my mind before as something to think about.

i have decided to adopt from a no kill organization. i dont know if it will be the spca- i did a google search and found a bunch of places in my area and i already picked out a few cats that i want to meet

GhostUser 12-12-2008 11:26 AM

Good luck! www.petfinder.com is a great site for finding rescues/shelters.