my dog has something wrong with his paws. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 AM

my dog has cracked pads and nails.

i don't know how it happened but he never used to have them

any ideas whats wrong with him or how it could of happened?

any really would help.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

There are a number of possible causes for cracked pads - Walking your dog in very hot, wet or cold weather, breed disposition or an allergy. Diet can also be a cause with high grain diets and those deficient in calcium or zinc, what do you feed him on? Cracked nails can be rarther painful for a dog so I would take him to a vet to determine the true cause.
#3 Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 AM

my dog is border collie/rottie. it dosn't get hot over here, but he got this before the cold weather kicked in. his food has rice and whole grains in, so i will see whether it will make a difference by decreasing them. i will be taking him to the vets for his injections.

so thanks Glitterpixie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes the condition can be helped just by giving essential fatty acids (fish or flax seed oil most commonly). I've seen a couple of cases where that has helped.

Diet change is not a bad idea, even if it doesn't help with the paws and nails. Also look for a food without dyes or preservatives.

Your dog could have stepped in something that caused the damage. Maybe something in your yard? Or if you used a different cleaing product that he walked in. Allergies don't usually cause cracked pads right away, usually the feet are itchy and get licked so that they have a reddish discolorization first.

Still, I second the idea of having your vet take a look.
#5 Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 AM

i took teddie to the vets fro his injections and mentioned his paws.

the vet said that a piece of straw or hard grass like substance had entered his paws (most probally through digging) and that he cannot do anything for him but it will heal without pain

and his nail had grown to long and had split so one was growing on top of the other (so he trimmed one of them down)

and he just said to keep on track of his nails.

so thanks for your suggestions
#6 Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad it was nothing serious!
#7 Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

glad to hear it wasn't anything major.

if your dog is still young i really recommend paying a lot of attention to his feet, ears and teeth. whenever he's sleeping near/on you or cuddling up to you, constantly be touching and manipulating these parts, the more he is used to you touching those areas the less of a hassle it is when you have to trim claws, clean ears or brush teeth. you should trim his claws often. the more often you trim them the more the quick will recede so that you can trim them shorter. you shouldn't be able to hear them hit the floor when he walks. i used to be paranoid that i'd cut into the quick so i always kept a product similar to quick-stop around just in case (stops bleeding if you cut too short by accident) but i've never had to use it. the more you do it the easier it gets and shorter and more well groomed the claws are the less likely they are to break and split

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, doing frequent nail trims (every 6-8 weeks, even sooner) should be done. If you are afraid to do it, get it done at the groomer's. Holding his paws will help him get used to someone holding them while his nails are getting trimmed.

Did your vet do any allergy tests, or testing at all in regards to the cracked pads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page