Care of your pets when you die - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

I know it's morbid but I've been thinking about what would happen to my cats when I die, especially if it happened all of a sudden.

I don't know of anyone right now that I would want to care for them. I have a friend who said he would take them but his are outdoor cats and mine are indoor only.

Has anyone else thought about this? Do you already have their care worked out just in case?

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I know it's morbid but I've been thinking about what would happen to my cats when I die, especially if it happened all of a sudden.

I don't know of anyone right now that I would want to care for them. I have a friend who said he would take them but his are outdoor cats and mine are indoor only.

Has anyone else thought about this? Do you already have their care worked out just in case?

Do you have a will? I.e., a last will and testament?

It is increasingly common for people to make arrangements through their wills to take care of their pets, usually through some sort of testamentary trust.

You would still need to find someone to be your executor and to be the trustee of the trust for your pets, but this may be the best structure for these arrangements.
#3 Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Well my hubby would take the cat, but if we were both to go at the same time... My sister LOVES my cat and I'm sure she'd take her on. In fact, I'll ask her tonight!! Haha, she'll give me a funny look I'm sure, but you're right - these things need to be worked out!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, hubby would take care of my kitties if something happened to me, and if something happened to both of us I'm sure my parents would take them, and either his brother or his mom would take his dog, I'm sure.
#5 Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My parents would take care of them.
#6 Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Between my husband and the three kids, I think my three furbabies would be well taken care of.

Plus, I have a cousin who loves Thor, so I know she would take him in a heartbeat.
#7 Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Someone near here died suddenly in July and he had a few cats. The cats are still living in the house and the neighbors go over and feed them while they are trying to find them homes. It's so sad, I wish I could take them.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#8 Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Without my dictation, my parents would take my dog and cat. They'd come up to the house and clear it out so that nothing (and no animal!) got left behind
#9 Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

If I died, my boyfriend would keep my cat, as our cats are best friends. If we both went, my parents would take our cats for sure.

And my parents know that if they both went, I would take their cats for sure, no matter WHAT my boyfriend said about our apartment being too small. I could not let those babies go to someone who might not love them like I do.

ETA: Although, come to think of it, I doubt my boyfriend could say no to those kitties either.
#10 Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

If something happened to me, hubby would take care of all my babies.

If something happened to both of us, its kind of scary.

We have a local kennel/day camp that has a program you can sign up for so that if something happens to you, they will take the animals and care for them and try to reach whoever you designated.

I have all the critters signed up for this and my vet also assists with this, but its still scary.

I guess I always feel like no one would love them as much as we do...

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#11 Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM

This is definitely something I need to look into as I wouldn't like to assume that family would take them in and not make arrangements should something happen to them, or assume that they wouldn't try and rehome them if they couldn't cope.

Good post OP!
#12 Old 11-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

You can't leave money or property to your pets, although as Joe refers to, you can make arrangements for them in your will for your executors to fulfill, and provide instructions concerning care, feeding, medication, vet's details etc.

Also for anyone in the UK that's a member of Animal Aid that hasn't made a will, they provide a free will-making service.
#13 Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Even though I have done something about emergency care for my animals if something happens to us, I still don't feel that comfortable about the long term care.

Everyone that I had picked to care for them has moved out of state. Some of my animals are elderly and I don't think they could handle all the stress of being transported across the country.

It is scary.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page