does anyone here have horses - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 AM

hi, im grace. completely horse crazy, and was just wondering if anyone else here has horses.

Ive had horses and ponies from the age of three, and now have four beautiful babies

Skye, a 17.2hh bay clydesdaleXthoroughbred

Woody, a 15.2hh blanket appaloosa

Misty, a 15.1hh chestnut anglo-arab

Ringo, a tiny black shetland!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2008, 06:46 AM

I have a ton of imaginary horses.

It's all I can afford right now.
#3 Old 11-15-2008, 06:54 AM

lol I know, they are so expensive! The only reason I can keep mine really is because we got a lot of land with our house and the money we get from renting it out goes towards my mums horse. She buys feed in bulk and pays for all five to get their feet done, insurance and for wormers, so all I have to buy is brushes and other bits and pieces. But Skye has completely worn out his rug and I'll have to buy another in the next few weeks which i completely cannot afford. Mine all live outside all year round, in oxfordshire which is not the warmest place in the world so its pretty vital.

when I was a kid, I would always tell people I had loads of horses when I just had one pony which I shared with my sister. I made the stories so elaborate I almost believed them myself lol, and then when people came round I would say they were at my grans house. So I kind of had imaginary horses as well/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 AM

I have my boy Turner

16.3 grey OTTB,

we used to event but now i just ride him for fun, not enough money or time to show.

and nothing compares to going out and galloping around.

hes pretty awesome..... veggie as well
#5 Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys are so lucky! I adore horses they're the most graceful, elegant animals in the world, I want one!
#6 Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_grace View Post

hi, im grace. completely horse crazy, and was just wondering if anyone else here has horses.

Ive had horses and ponies from the age of three, and now have four beautiful babies

Hi Grace!

I love horses as well and was fortunate to grow up on a farm where I could have a Shetland pony, then when I was a little older, a Quarter Horse mare. This was MANY MANY years ago and I miss them still. Do you have any pictures?

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#7 Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Grace!

I love horses, and it is my dream to have one after I graduate I really want to learn to ride properly!

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#8 Old 11-20-2008, 03:44 AM

I should be able to get some pictures in about three weeks. My laptop is broken (Im borrowing my brothers which is why I've not been on for a while) and its at my cousins house in scotland because hes a geek who knows how to deal with these things. I think I've got a picture of skye on my facebook if I can somehow manage to transfer it from there to here.
#9 Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:

What do you do with your boys and girls?

They all sound wonderful. Do you keep them at home?

Pictures?
#10 Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it really appropriate to talk about wanting a horse, and how much it costs to buy one etc. They're sentient beings, not property; not things that exist for human enjoyment. The tone in this discussion makes me sad.
#11 Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys are lucky - I had horses as a kid and would love to have them again someday!
#12 Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM

hi everyone. I will be able to get pictures soon! I keep my horses at home. We have quite a lot of land which we rent out to a farmer, but I still keep my horses and my mum keeps her horse in one of the fields with sheep. They live out all the time. I think that is a more natural way to keep horses, and only skye wears shoes, although they do of course wear rugs during the winter. skye has a bib clip but apart from that they all have their full coats.

I dont compete much, as we dont have a horse box and it can be tricky to get to shows.

Ringo is too small to ride now, and is nearly 30 so he is just a companion for the others now. Misty is also unrideable. She has back problems because she was ridden too young by someone too heavy to be riding such a small horse (she has a small frame, even though she is not short) in her last home. We got her for free from a dealer because no one wanted her. She also has behavioral problems - she is very head shy, and freaks out if you try and touch her around the ears so it can be hard to get a headcollar on, and she also has to be sedated to have her feet trimmed. We are thinking of getting an equine behaviourist.

Woody is only four, so my mum and I are schooling him. He can work at walk, trot and canter in the school, but he bucks when he gets tired so we keep sessions short and interesting. He is great in traffic which is good, and we have started jumping with him. He tends to jump a lot bigger than he needs too, and once jumped out of the field when he got spooked by a quadbike, so I think he has talent.

Skye is lovely to ride, although very laid back. we mostly do hacking, but he also loves jumping. We will do local shows if we can hitch a lift with one of my friends. I came first in novice jumping in the local agricultural show, although there were only three competitiors so it wasnt hard lol.
#13 Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello

It took me awhile to find this thread.

I have two horses - a bay Arab, 22 years old and a blue roan quarterhorse, 19 years old. In April 2007 my gray Arab died at age 33. Next year I will probably buy a new horse because Shari and Roanie are getting up there. They are still sound and rideable. I give riding lessons to kids and these two horses are very good to the children. Especially Shari. She is very sensitive and the kids can tell immediately if they are riding correctly. I have had horses since I was 9 and I am now 60ish.
#14 Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:

She also has behavioral problems - she is very head shy, and freaks out if you try and touch her around the ears so it can be hard to get a headcollar on, and she also has to be sedated to have her feet trimmed. We are thinking of getting an equine behaviourist.

My Anglo-Arab was very headshy too. I helped her get over it by turning her supper time into lesson time. I gave her the bucket of feed and goodies and then the whole time she was eating would stand beside her head, just talking and stroking her neck and up to her head constantly and every so often just "accidentally get up around her ears. It took a while but she finally got to where she would stand for the fly mask and halter, etc. We still have to be very gentle around her head even though we've had her for thirteen years and you definitely don't flip the reins up over her head, but we got her to the point where she would accept daily stuff around her head and ears as long as you're polite about it. It can be such a pain can't it when they are flinging their heads up and away from you constantly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page