Cat peeing outside of box! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM

This is something I have been battling with my 10 year old tabby I adopted in January. He has pee'd outside of the box on and off- I *think* it was originally triggered by him getting a steriod shot to combat his allergies (which cause hairloss). Since then I have tried different litters, and now I am back to the litter I originally used when I first adopted him and he used the litterbox fine.

I have been trying different foods to try to combat his allergies, and one time a change in food caused him to poop outside the box twice, but other than that it has always been pee. The food he was originally on, Felidae, he now HATES and he will scream at me and only pick at occasionally. I just switched them to Taste of the Wild, and he LOVES it.

No, it is not always in the same spot. Lately he has been peeing just outside of the box, the first time with litter kicked over the side. I thought it might he might be getting picky about cleanliness, so I thorughly cleaned out all the boxes today, and I added a giant, long storage bin as an extra-big litterbox to see if he liked that. I found pee along the edge of it this evening.

He has had multiple urinalises, blood tests, and everything comes back perfect. The vet says he is in perfect health besides his allergies.

I haven't added any new pets to my household lately. The only change in environment has been the switch to ToTW. His poops are firm and he wolfs the food down (rather than how he initially ignores the Felidae, and picks at it when he is starving), so I don't think it is the food that is the issue.

I have two large, tall-sided litterboxes, one short-sided litterbox, and one long storage bin with tall sides, and two cats.

He dosen't seem upset. He is friendly and sweet to me, and is not acting strangely.

Yes he is neutered, and his buddy is spayed. They get along fine. He is indoor-only and front paw declawed. He was came to me this way when I adopted him in January. He got a dental and had to have two teeth taken out.

I haven't rearranged any furniture. The weather has been fine.

I clean the areas with white vinegar. I got a bottle of Nature's Miracle tonight, and I am going to douse my carpet with it. My room smells so bad I don't sleep in it at night! This has to change!

I am desperate. What else can I do for him? What else can I try? What I am doing wrong? Please- any and all suggestions are welcome (except dumping him outside, thank you!)! I have included as much detail as I can think of, but if there are any other questions/answers that might help, ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no advice (except maybe to get a second opinion, just because nothing else you've tried has worked), but hope the situation improves. You must be worried and frustrated.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#3 Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Beginner

I totally feel your pain! I had to rip the carpet out of my ENTIRE house due to pet urine stains. The air quality in my house was HORRENDOUS! Not having any carpet to pee on seems to work most of the time now (I think they just kept peeing because they could smell the old pee.) I even put a carpet remnient by the litter box (to help with the litter that spills out) after we put in the tile and they peed on the new carpet remnient. I think some cats need to have their own litter boxes, which is hard to do if you have multiple cats. We had to keep one of our cats in our bedroom (don't worry - my bedroom is the size of a studio apt so she was not abused ) when it got really bad (before we tore out all the carpet.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page