Abandoned Kittehs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Many people locally have lost their homes and rather than finding a home for their cats or taking them to the shelter, they just leave them. I just found out that there are 3 adult cats and a handful of kittens living on my block (literally within 1/8 mile of my house, I live in tract homes). There's one cat that's getting really spoiled by my neighbors, 1 is a mean black and white cat, and I'm not sure about the other adult. When I was talking to my neighbors (who I have never spoken to before), they pointed out one cat and said "That's one of the ones that's been hanging out... and oh, I've never seen that cat before." I walked across the street and saw 3 small cats (probably a few months old). We have at least 6 cats around.

What should I do? Should I call animal services?

There's one cat in particular that I'd LOVE to keep, but my parents won't let me. She's the SWEETEST thing and I may ask my neighbors if they want her. I don't want her to be taken away. I'm a little nervous that if I don't call Animal Services immediately, they'll just keep populating. My neighbors haven't called because they're afraid the 3 cats will be put down. Now that they know of the kittens, they think it's a good idea.

I wish you guys all lived locally, I'd give you the kitties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of the time, sadly, feral cats get put down immediately if taken to a traditional shelter. You might want to try trap/neuter/return with help from Alley Cat Allies. www.alleycat.org.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I just personally took in an abandoned kitten myself a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 AM

TNR'ing them might be the best thing to do. (Get them fixed and then have them live outside.) I would say take them in and find them homes, but really, that might be difficult/impossible to do, with the huge number of cats available and the shrinking number of available homes.

I seem to recall that you are in Florida (maybe?), but I'm not sure which part. I might be able to help you find low cost spay/neuter if I knew your area.
#5 Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Beginner

I think that you should call animal services because even if the cats do get put down, if you don't call animal services they WILL keep breeding and then the time will come when even more cats get put down.

However, if the cats are used to people they might not be considered ferel and could potentially be suited for adoption.
#6 Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'll check out the Alley Cat Allies site.

I can't afford to spray 5+ cats... I care barely afford to take my dog in to her shots that cost $15. I'm going to figure something out... the longer I wait, the more they breed.

I tried taking one of the cats (non-kittens) home but the second I got to my house (literally around the corner), she jumped out of my arms and took off. Hope she made it back to where she hangs out.

I can't keep any cats, not even for the time it takes to spray or neuter (even if I could afford it).

I'm SO mad at my old neighbors now. SO MAD.
#7 Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, we're seeing this more often at the animal shelter where I volunteer. You should first try the no-kill shelters in your area, then any shelter. Thanks for watching out for the little ones!
#8 Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM

I know you couldn't afford to get them fixed at a regular vets, but depending on your area, there might be a place nearby who would fix them for free. There might even be a TNR group to personally help you. The Alleycats website is a good place to start.
#9 Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

I'm putting "Take care of Kittehs" on my To Do list for Friday I'm about to log off and study for my final. BLAH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page