Love talk... silly things we say to our pets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

C'mon, you know you do... What silly names do you call your pets.What silly things do you say? I'll start.

My handsome boy.

My most beautiful girl.

Just so precious....

Mommy's bitty tiny precious cute little baby!

You are so CUUUUTE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Mandi's a freak...super freak! (sing songy)

Oh, Thor's the cute boy! (high pitched squeally like)

Cybil = ciba geigy

Tommy = how's my fat boy??
#3 Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Love talk? I talk baby talk to my cats.

oochiecoochiepoochie my widdle baby girl I wuff you SOOOOO much!

They still love me anyway.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Chloe beebees!!! Wibble beebee!!

Hazel Badazel. Who's a good puppy dawgie? Shees a good puppy dawgie! Wiggle butt!

Etc.
#5 Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

In her book "250 Things You Can Do to Make Your Cat Adore You", Ingrid Newkirk advises against talking baby talk to the reader's cats, because they have a dignity and a presence and it demeans them.

I don't know if she has cats at home, but if so, she has a stronger constitution than the rest of us. How can we NOT talk baby talk to our bewoved widdle baybees?

#6 Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely!My cats love it when I talk baby talk, and I don't see any evidence of them having their dignity compromised.
#7 Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I always tell my cat that I love him, and that he's not a real cat.
#8 Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Beginner

What ya doing? (in a high pitch voice)

You want a cuddle? (Also in a high pitch voice)
#9 Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I do this, and I've embarrassed myself a few times!

Who's my pupper wuppers? (or pupsie wupsie)

Finn Finn Banninergan (my Wolfie's name is Finnigan)

The Finnmiester

Finner Banniner

Finnyboo

the list goes on...
#10 Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

"Cody, you're the best dog. Ever... And you know...I don't even have to meet all the other dogs. I just know".

Actually I think I'm more insulting to my dog. Treat em mean, keep em keen!

"Bark like a real dog! [neighbours dog barks] ...like Jessie! That's how tough dogs bark!"

"Come eeere turd-face" [I don't know how this one started] I do tell her I love her at least fifty times daily, probably.

We also refer to her as "ergo" [as in ergonomic]. She uses cushions, pillows, sofas and bedding just as a person would. If she is standing near something and you're giving her attention, she will lean on it. So I guess I don't really do any baby talk, I more or less talk to her as if she's going to talk back to me!
#11 Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha my dog's name is Diego and I call him all of these things:

Boo Boo

BooBoo Bear

DD

Poopy

Dabungo

Porky

Deegs

Silly Boy

Pretty much anything but his real name!
#12 Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM

I just chat with my cats and they seem to respond accordingly. Like I ask how their days went and how they feel, it's a bit like a crazy cat lady (man in my case) but they seem to meow back contently.

That on top of the usual "You're the cutest!" of course.
#13 Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Ankle Biter

I sing to my dogs - made up, silly songs, usually to preschool melodies. And I use all kinds of silly endearments - which I've never used for any humans in my life!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

To Hazel:

"ooo I'ma beatchoo up! Yur a big'n mean ol' girl arentcha?? Let's beater up! *begins growling and barking and pats her belly*"
#15 Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM

I have so many nicknames for my little wiener dog Cynthia. I started calling her poodle pie for some odd reason....that was then shortened to poodle....and has now morphed into my favorite name for her Poods...lol it's quite odd but I love it.

My other wiener dog doesn't get as fun a name as that. His name is Emmett so I just call him Mr. E (like mystery) or buds.
#16 Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I talk to my kitties (and goldfish) all the time. Not really baby-talk or anything but I say hi to them all the time, tell them I love them, etc.

They both are talky, and will usually meow back to most things I say.

ETA: the cats, not the fish
#17 Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Pippens - Hiya angel, ittle angel man, precious brown boy, brownie, what are you made from? Chocolate & toffe & treacle, yummy (then I give him lots of kisses & pretend to eat him)

Patch - Hi there my fuzz buzz, fluffy boy, my ittle softie, big poodle head!

Yes, I am slightly crazy
#18 Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww.. this thread is so sweet!

My kitties respond to me when I talk to them, especially Rhett.Rhett looks exactly like a Siamese,even down to the kink in his tail,except that he's solid black. He's a very elegant looking boy,hence the name, "My Handsome Boy". It's almost as though he knows he looks good;whenever I say,"Is this my handsome boy?Yes you are...",he always meows back and lifts one paw as if to say,'Yes, I do look good, don't I?"
#19 Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

In her book "250 Things You Can Do to Make Your Cat Adore You", Ingrid Newkirk advises against talking baby talk to the reader's cats, because they have a dignity and a presence and it demeans them.

I don't know if she has cats at home, but if so, she has a stronger constitution than the rest of us. How can we NOT talk baby talk to our bewoved widdle baybees?

Pibbles also have dignity and a presence, yet Ingrid demeans them.

I advise against reading anything by Ingrid Newkirk.
#20 Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

ETA: the cats, not the fish

We have three cats who I adore - they each have different pet names and I do different things with them.

Heidi, our oldest cat, becomes "Heidi-ho!" I tend to call her gorgeous, and 'the mighty huntress' as she is our only cat who stalks any prey.

Stripey becomes "Striped-doodle" and despite being the middle cat (not oldest or youngest) shes usually called the baby as shes the smallest. We meow back and forth to each other (she sometimes "meows" without making any noise, do any other kitties do this?) and my mom laughs at us because we tend to sleep in the same position - if I'm curled up in a ball, so is she, if I'm lying straight out across the bed, so is she etc etc -

And last but not least, our big young cat Jazmine becomes Jazzy, Jazzle, Jazzy-mo-mo and is generally our 'silly kitty' who is incredibly talkative and affectionate.

And of course they all get called pretty kitties and on a very regular basis

We also have a dog. The end.
#21 Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Pibbles also have dignity and a presence, yet Ingrid demeans them.

I advise against reading anything by Ingrid Newkirk.

#22 Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgurrl978 View Post

(she sometimes "meows" without making any noise, do any other kitties do this?)

Arlo doesn't. Aspen does. Ana (my recently departed girl kitty) did too.

I love the silent meows. They're cute.
#23 Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

It's never anything specific- just random nonsensical verbiage, so to speak. To our many rats (who are just so very cute, cuddly and playful that I end up just going nuts with them), to our amazon parrot who doesn't need sweet-talking so much as just talking. Our cockatiel (and parakeet as well) love to be talked to in low, soothing voices- in fact, if you can't whistle (as I, sadly, cannot), just talking to them can make small birds very, very happy. You could be gently whispering viscious insults but they don't know the difference. Haha.

Of course, if the birds are a bonded pair, they'll just look at you like you're nuts and sort of shake their head in a confused way, like "what's that sound?". They don't need to seek such social contact when they have a steady fella/gal.

I have also known a lot of cats who "don't meow" or "half-meow". It's sort of the noise people make when they try to get a hair out of their mouths.
#24 Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 AM

When I'm about to leave the house to go shopping, I say to my dog:

"I'm just off to Tesco's to do some shopping. I won't be long - look after the house, there's a good boy!"

Like he's going to say - "surely you'll get better value at Saisbury's!"

He just looks at me blankly and wags his tail, probably thinking "what is she going on about?"
#25 Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, to start, the boys are named Monchichi Kitten and Atticus the Catticus.

Monchichi also goes by Munch, The Munch, Munchie, Bug, Stink, Greyboy, Small cat. My dad calls him "Munchasaurus Rex, King of the Munchasaurs."

Atticus is called Att, Bad cat, The big one, Sack-of-Potatoes, and my dad calls him "Atticus Catticus big and fatticus" (or alternately "big and baddicus"). We also say that "Atticus' badness level is exceptionally high for a cat his size."

A typical conversation in our house goes as follows:

"Oh my god..."

"What??"

"I'm gonna be sick!"

"What's wrong??"

"Look at Munchie"

"Oh my god.. he's so cute"

"I know! It's disgusting!"

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

My rats I call my "boyos" They tend to get something like this whenever I walk into their room "Where are my boyoooossssssss???Where are my handsome wittle manrats??? come 'er and see mommy, awes you are just too cute, mommies adorable boyos, are you being my good babies??" To which they run to the front of the cage and beg for attention. Specifically, I call Eros "mouse"(he was mouse sized when I got him) and Gaelan "gopher"(because he will sit up back strait bum on the ground like a gopher). Lochlan, Gallagher and Keiran get alot of "mommies baby boy" "handsome" and various other cutsie names in babytalk.

Piper, my cat gets alot of "beautiful girl" and "Mommies perfect baby" but, in general, I don't do as much baby talk to my cat, because when I do, she looks at me like she is suprised I can really pull off that fancy trick of walking upright

Dogs on the other hand get talked to in a way that is so high pitched, cutsie and babyish, that it really no longer resembles english,LOL.
#27 Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 AM

i have 2 cats...

in my house 'who's got a face?' 'look at the face!' 'she's got a face' all mean CUTE FACE! i don't know why... but it does..

roxy is often call the 'big fat' or the 'fat cat - PH', 'phat cat'... or simply... roxypoo

tykhe is often called 'the lil tyke', 'tykhe pikey poo' or 'fluff face'

my cat Ziggy who died last september was call 'ziggy mcjingleface' because when she ran, the bell on her collar made it look like her cute little face was jingling... and she was always running around happily... with a spring in her step
#28 Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I call my cats StinkyButt, and not just when I see one of them leaving the litter box.

#29 Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I named my rabbit Flash, after the superhero (Flash, the fastest man alive) because he's got red hair and runs really fast, but somehow calling him "Flash, the fastest rabbit alive" never caught on.

I call him a goober when he gets into trouble, and somehow that morphed into calling him "uber goober" all the time. Of course, he's in trouble pretty much all the time, because he likes chewing on carpet, walls, furniture...

But when he's behaving, and especially when he lies down on his side with his white belly showing and his ears slicked back and looks REALLY cute, it's more like "Awww... who's my cute little bunny?"

--Fromper

#30 Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I sing to Giz when I get home:

He's a Giz

And he's a Giz Giz

And he's my Giz Giz Giz

And a Giz Giz Giz

Cuz he's the Giz

He's the Gizzy Giz

I lovey lovey lovey

Yes I love, love my Giz

Cuz you're my Giz

You're my Gizzy Giz!!

I'm a dork, I know but he loves when I serenade him with my song of love!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page