Best Brand to feed my Cat??? (UK) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Hi there everybody-

Have 2 cats- one that can eat any type of food- wet or dry.

And ,one who has to have a special diet for Urinary Tract.

Am aware not to use Eukanuba-owned by Proctor & Gamble.

Anybody help please-with what are the most ethical brands to use.

(Especially struggling with Urinary Tract stuff-Vet is recommending Waltham,but BUAV have exposed their killing of cats in their 'Science' facilities.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 PM

Hmm...Pet Promise is one:

http://www.petpromiseinc.com/

I now feed my four cats Wellness cans (no grain) and Wellness dry. I think it's really important that cats have wet food and that is something I have learned since becoming involved in cat rescue.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_index.html
#3 Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 AM

Suppose I should have said- I'm in the UK- So any UK or European based?

Have also found TROVET ASD- which is Netherlands based.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I wrote an article about cat food last month when I got my kitten. I can't pull up the direct link as I'm at work and wordpress isblocked, but it's about the second article on http://greenmarmalade.wordpress.com

I put a TON of thought and research into it, and ranked what brands I thought were best. Unsure how they will impact you in deciding overseas, but these are bigger brands and hopefully will be available to you over there. My kitten is doing awesome on Newman's.
#5 Old 07-31-2008, 01:29 PM

I don't know what brands you have to choose from over there in the UK.

Newman's sounds good but I doubt he imports it. The formula is good. Lots of taurine is important. My vet told me about a lady who feed her cat tuna only. Tuna has no taurine so it died of heart failure. Taurine is in all of the energy drinks too....like Red Bull. I don't know if it gives cats energy.

I get overwhelmed by all of the brands. I just know not to use Iams:

www.iamscruelty.com ( <----- terrible stuff you don't want to see)

Urinary tract formulas are good in preventing renal failure later on down the road.

Are you looking for dry or wet cat food?
#6 Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

wow.. I had no idea about that Iams stuff. I've never bought it.. but sheesh...
#7 Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

You should learn how to raw feed. Then you aren't supporting factory farming when you buy from local farms that pasture-raise their animals.
#8 Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

wow.. I had no idea about that Iams stuff. I've never bought it.. but sheesh...

I know...it's terrible. I have been tempted to tape small flyers in the Iams section everytime I go to the grocery store to alert people. Nobody who has a pet would buy that stuff if they knew the truth.
#9 Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Nykoella- your conclusion regarding cats only being able to survive with meat in their diets is inaccurate. There are veggie foods that contain Taurine-which is THE vital ingrediant and stops the cat going blind and keeps other vital organs working.

http://www.vegepets.info

The notion that cats are gaining meat from what would be their natural existance-i.e feral- is deeply flawed in most commercial/mainstream catfoods- or they would have mice/rat flavour or blackbird/sparrow ingrediants.

NOT beef,turkey,fish,chicken.lamb etc- they don't hunt or kill these and they don't drink milk from a cow-the other commonly peddled misconception.
#10 Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
You should learn how to raw feed. Then you aren't supporting factory farming when you buy from local farms that pasture-raise their animals.

You mean feeding a carnivore meat? What a crazy idea

Quote:
Nykoella- your conclusion regarding cats only being able to survive with meat in their diets is inaccurate.

Your right cats can SURVIVE without meat but can they THRIVE? I personally have heard no evidence that suggests they can.

Quote:
The notion that cats are gaining meat from what would be their natural existance-i.e feral- is deeply flawed in most commercial/mainstream catfoods- or they would have mice/rat flavour or blackbird/sparrow ingrediants.

NOT beef,turkey,fish,chicken.lamb etc- they don't hunt or kill these and they don't drink milk from a cow-the other commonly peddled misconception.

So we should feed them plant matter instead? Meat is meat, there is little difference between turkey meat and sparrow meat. Cats are carnivores and are designed to live totally on animal matter, feeding them plant matter is much more of a pevertion than feeding beef is.
#11 Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influencer2 View Post

Nykoella- your conclusion regarding cats only being able to survive with meat in their diets is inaccurate. There are veggie foods that contain Taurine-which is THE vital ingrediant and stops the cat going blind and keeps other vital organs working.

http://www.vegepets.info

House cats would certainly eat beef, turkey, etc. if they were big enough to catch it, like their big cat cousins. In fact, I'm convinced my cat would have me for dinner if she could manage it.
#12 Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Beginner

Honestly even the best on the market foods are not as good as a raw diet and they cost a lot more.
#13 Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Banned

Pandas are also carnivores-yet their main diet consists of shoots and leaves.

And yes if you left your dead body in a room with cats then as they got hungrier they would eat you-just as if you left two cats in a room with each other without food then one would eat the other to survive- just as when humans have been in the same conditions ,they have also consumed each other- so what?

If Taurine, the vital proteins and amino acids can be gained from non meat sources then what's not natural about that? I am on a Vegetarian board aren't I or is this funded by the Meat Marketing board?

From a totally health point of view i turned Vegetarian,having witnessed the conditions in slaughterhouses- meat regarded as 'fit for human consumption' is shunted around from workstation to workstation- If all the public were allowed access to see this, the vast majority wouldn't touch meat again- not even mentioning the ethics of such practices.
#14 Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Pandas are also carnivores-yet their main diet consists of shoots and leaves.

The panda is from the taxinomic classification carnivora however they have evolved over thousands of years to eat a herbivorous diet due to exceptonal enviromental conditions during their evolution. Unfortunately for the panda due to their carnivore roots they have to eat a hell of alot of bamboo to sustain themselves. Dogs and cats are different in that they have always, up until the last 150 years, eaten a meat based diet and have not adapted to have anything else.

Quote:
And yes if you left your dead body in a room with cats then as they got hungrier they would eat you-just as if you left two cats in a room with each other without food then one would eat the other to survive- just as when humans have been in the same conditions ,they have also consumed each other- so what?

But a herbivore such as a rabbit or a cow is not likely to eat you or each other even if they were starving. If I left a piece of meat with my dogs, ferrets of cat then they would eat even when they are not starving, because they are carnivores.

Quote:
If Taurine, the vital proteins and amino acids can be gained from non meat sources then what's not natural about that?

Just because a food is nutritionally complete doesn't mean it is any good. Carnivores can struggle to digest plant matter and this can put a strain on the organs. Certain plant materials and synthetic nutrients have been linked to cancer and organ failure.

Quote:
From a totally health point of view i turned Vegetarian,having witnessed the conditions in slaughterhouses- meat regarded as 'fit for human consumption' is shunted around from workstation to workstation- If all the public were allowed access to see this, the vast majority wouldn't touch meat again- not even mentioning the ethics of such practices.

No doubt it is a good thing that you have taken the choice to become veggie. However your carnivores cannot make a choice about their diet and need you to make the choice that will keep them in the best of health. Feeding a bad diet could mean you end up at the vets paying for drugs tested extensively on animals to relieve your pet of suffering, a catch 22 situation really. If you cannot bring yourself to feed an animal that thrives on meat the diet they need then maybe you should reconsider your ability to care for that animal.
#15 Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 AM

You obviously haven't read the information supplied by leading Veternarian Andrew Knight. http://www.vegepets.info- Go and read it!

You are falling for the Marketing that mass producing cat food manufacturers push-

try looking at the nutritional breakdown of any cat food containg meat and then look at a brand without meat- the veg alternative-its almost identical- the vitamins and nutrients don't come from the meat- they're only put in there-usually in their waste format- to fool the consumer and to add to the taste.

If we took the same arguement that you use for artificially created alternatives and applied it to humans,we'd still be living in caves and living only in to our 20's

That's what evolution is- development and advancement.

Following your reasoning we wouldn't have vitamins or supplements and try telling all the leading athletes in the world they haven't benefitted from this.

And don't question my ability to take care of my cats.
#16 Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Can I ask why you have two different accounts influencer/influencer 2?

Quote:
You obviously haven't read the information supplied by leading Veternarian Andrew Knight. http://www.vegepets.info- Go and read it!

From another thread I have learnt that vegepets presents themselves as a less that reputable company who have a number of pieces of false info on their website and have in the past deliberately missed essential nutrients out of their food. I would rather listed to a number of unbiased scientists and nutrionists than one vet employed by vegepets.

Quote:
You are falling for the Marketing that mass producing cat food manufacturers push-

Nope. If I was doing that then I would feed my cat manufactured food, I don't.

Quote:
try looking at the nutritional breakdown of any cat food containg meat and then look at a brand without meat- the veg alternative-its almost identical- the vitamins and nutrients don't come from the meat- they're only put in there-usually in their waste format- to fool the consumer and to add to the taste.

I could make paper nutrionally complete, would you feed that to your cat? We can add all the nutrients you like but it makes no difference to the overall quality and digestability of the food. A cat cannot process plant matter that well and this puts an unnecessary strain on the body which can lead to organ failure and cancer. Some synthetic nutrients cannot be absorbed and utalized as well as natural ones, some can be harmful to dogs and cats.

Quote:
If we took the same arguement that you use for artificially created alternatives and applied it to humans,we'd still be living in caves and living only in to our 20's

The comparison between cats and humans is simply not there. Humans do fine without animal products in their diet without the need for synthetic nutrition (apart from b12 but thats complecated) Cats are 100% carnivores and can no way live naturally without meat.

Quote:
That's what evolution is- development and advancement.

Yes but you are never going to be able to 'develop and advance' the cat into a herbivore within the next millenia.

Quote:
And don't question my ability to take care of my cats.

I don't think I ever did that
#17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Taurine is naturally occuring in raw meat. The cooking process to can it removes it, so it's added. The better brands have a high amount of taurine. The article I wrote and refences it covers all that.

My statement in saying cats can only survive on meat was rather geared that they're obligate carnivores and thrive off meat, rather than any sort of vegetation.
#18 Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM

Questions for Glitterpixie:

1. My information is based not on the opinion of 1 Vet- but 3- all totally independant of each other. Who are these 'unbiased sceintists and nutritionalists' you claim as your sources?

2.What is the 'false info' on the discussed website and list the essential nutrients you claim they have missed off?-also back this up with sources.

3. I have been round 2 major pet manufacturing sites and seen the production process from start to finish -How many have you been round?

4. I have reared over 20 cats over a forty year period on a variety of diets- What's your actual hands on experience ?

5. Do you work for the meat industry or a closely associated industry?
#19 Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

none of your points mean anything, you're being argumentive. I don't even see what point you are trying to prove. You asked for cat food recommendations, we gave you ours. Heed our advice or ask a new question please.
#20 Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 AM

If people are going to make claims or are going to make posts that are saying that certain information is false,they need to substantiate those claims- otherwise I suggest they get a job working for the tabloid press in the UK- I asked the questions of Glitterpixie-not nykoelle- so by that reasoning it's you nykoelle who is after the arguement.
#21 Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Mod Post: Infleuncer -- you may not realize it but your tone here is VERY confrontational. You asked people for their *opinions* and they gave them. Based on that, you are more than welcome to do further research and agree or disagree with these opinions, but as it stands now, your threatening tone is only going to cause unnecessary argument. If you'd like to have a debate about pet foods, you're welcome to start a thread in the compost heap, but if you're only going to be confrontational/argumentative here, your thread is going to be closed.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#22 Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Thread is closed.

Please feel free to start a new thread on the topic if there are others still wanting to discuss it.

Please note: Multiple accounts are not permitted on Veggieboards and will result in both accounts being banned.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page