good vibes please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

cat had a vet appointment yesterday for a followup. he has hypocardio myopathy, a condition causing the walls of the heart to thicken so the heart has to work harder to pump blood. in december he had a blood clot and got rushed to the vet at 1:30am, was kept overnight and tested etc and has been on fortekor and metacam ever since. right away we noticed improvement, more energy, better mood, more playful etc. but the vet said yesterday that the meds can cause kidney damage over time so he took blood to check it out, we should get the results tomorrow. he did say that the murmer has gone down a grade, it's a 2 now, was 3. so he said everything sounds good and he looks great but it's better to catch any problems before the symptoms start obviously.

i'm not crazy worried cause he seems fine to me, no increased thirst or urinating, no vomiting, which the vet said are signs of kidney problems, everything seems pretty normal to me. but there's always that nagging voice that says 'what if' and 'what'll i do if..'

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Hope your kitty will be ok!
#3 Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

to you and your kitty. i'll be thinking of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

That's hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Has your cat's thyroid levels been tested? It's often (but not always) secondary to hyperthyroidism. The increased metabolism causes the heart to beat faster and overtime the muscle gets thicker (like a weight lifter bulking up). Eventually the heart wall gets so thick that it decreases the chamber size and not enough blood is being pumped per stroke, this causes the heart to beat faster to compensate, and the cycle repeats until the heart just plain wears out. I hope you can get things under control so that doesn't happen.
#5 Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Sending good thoughts and prayers for your kitty. Let us know how everything turns out.
#6 Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

That's hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

oops yes that's what i meant

no his thyroid levels haven't been checked as far as i know but they took 2 tubes of blood so maybe. i'll ask when i call tomorrow. they haven't called with results yet so i'm calling tomorrow to see what's going on. they're probably just busy, their waiting room is always full and they're always behind schedule so they probably just haven't had a chance to call

~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

the vet finally returned my call just now and said that Moo's tests came back perfect

i asked about the thyroid and he said he can tell by i think he said atl levels in the blood test that he's not hyperthyroid plus if he were he'd be able to tell because of body language, weight, goitre etc. i kinda figured he wasn't hyperthyroid cause he is pretty chubby and lazy but i figured it can't hurt to ask.

so yeah vet says everything's fine but he wants to test the kidneys every year and says if i notice excessive drinking, dark stools or vomiting i should call right away

i pretty much knew the tests would come out ok but i'm still relieved to hear it

~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Good news! Glad Moo is OK. There's always that moment when you hold your breath,even though you're sure it'll be fine. I know you must feel relieved.
#9 Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

yay. glad everything is okay.
#10 Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Here, my Gizmo will send you all the good vibes you need:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...g?t=1216371333

Best wishes for your kitty. <3
#11 Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Whoops. Too late. But I'm glad all is well! =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page