Saying Good-bye is so hard ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Today we had to say good-bye to Ian. Ian was my beloved cat of 14 years was put to sleep this morning. In spite of eating food that we prepared for him he was still losing weight and he had stopped drinking.

He was still friendly, happy and purring - but clearly the end had arrived.

He's the first pet I ever had because I wanted him and I picked him out. He was also the first pet that I'd ever had who lived so long. He was the first of our pets to welcome our daughter when she was born. He was super friendly to everyone - not like other cats who were stand-off'ish. He was always begging everyone with a free hand for attention. All you had to do was look at him and he'd start purring. He never once scratched or bit anyone - not even when Bree, as a toddler, would pick him up, carry him around, dress him up and play "vet" with him.

He will be greatly missed.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Aww I'm sorry
#3 Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

My condolences on the loss of your beloved cat.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh...baby cat. *wibbles*

You seem to be an excellent mama to all your babies. It sounds like Ian had a wonderful life with you and the rest of his family.
#5 Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, everyone.

I'm just so weepy. Every time I remember that I'm never going to see him again I start crying all over again. My eyes are all red and puffy and my nose is seriously stuffed up.

I know we did the right thing - but that's not making me feel better yet.

#6 Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry, MrsKey
#7 Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Beginner

Oh, MrsKey, I am so sorry for your loss! I know you're going to miss him terribly and I wish there was something I could do to help. Your family will be in my thoughts.

#8 Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

So sorry for your loss. We had to get one of our kitty's put down in January....it's a terrible thing to lose such a loyal friend. Cherish the memories, things will get better. (((HUGS)))
#9 Old 06-13-2008, 12:01 PM

I know there is nothing anyone can say or do that will take away your pain and for that, I'm truly sorry. I just want you to know that I deeply understand that pain you are going through. i just had to put down my 11 year old dog three months ago and I didn't know how I was going to get through it.

I know it is so very painful right now and that pain will never completely subside but just know that, this sick feeling in your heart will not last forever. allow yourself time to feel your pain so that you can begin to put the pieces back together. it won't be the same without your furbaby, I know. But there will come a time, when you can look back with a bittersweet perspective and smile again, grateful for the many years you shared your life with this precious gift.

I don't know what your spiritual learnings are, but It is my strong beliefs that once an animal parts from this life that they are embraced by the one who created them and they are alive and well. take care of yourself.
#10 Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry, MrsKey. I just lost my kitty as well. He was the first cat I've ever had and I grew up with him... It truly is hard to say goodbye.
#11 Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM

#12 Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh sweetie, I feel your pain. It's the only drawback of having pets;they eventually break our hearts,but we wouldn't have it any other way.

When I had my Paula kitty put to sleep last Feb., I received a beautiful card from the pet memorial where I had her ashes spread. It went something like:

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives

even more temporary than our own

live within a fragile circle,easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would

live no other way..."

I've posted Ian's name in the Rainbow Bridge Pet Memorial site.You can find it in the gallery. Please know we all understand how you're feeling and feel free to

talk about your kitty any time you want.
#13 Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.
#14 Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

So sorry, MrsKey.
#15 Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you so much!

The weekend was rough - but we took Ian's body to my parents' cottage in TN and we buried him there. We'll be going up another weekend to plant a catnip plant near his grave and put up the marker my parents ordered for him.

I'm feeling a bit better today about the decision we made. And on Friday I cried, "NO more pets." But you know - I would never trade the years Ian shared with us. It is hard to let them go - but he made our lives richer by sharing them. In the end - it is a worthwhile trade off - they joy they bring to us does outweigh the sadness of their passing.

#16 Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I hate it when my animals die too, although it's particularly hard if I have them euthanized.

I hope I have my current animals for a long time, but when they're gone, I might just foster instead of adopting any more. I think I could help animals and avoid the pain that way.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM

In January of this year, we let our little dog cross the Rainbow Bridge. She was 18 years old and it was time. Our comfort was in knowing that we gave her the best life a little pooch could ever dream of. MrsKey, your pain is so real and we all feel it, but in a while, you will be able to smile when you remember how your kitty used to nestle in your lap or on the corner of the couch beside you.

Yesterday, my daughters little guy was crushed by a car. One brief moment of inattention and forever, feelings of guilt and remorse and "if only I had done things different". We've all been crying ever since. From personal experience, I would say an accident is far worse.
#18 Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Dieselsmom,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's pet. I believe that you are right, an accident is so much worse. I hope you all are doing better today.

#19 Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

*love and hugs*

I still miss my babies that are gone
#20 Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Dieselsmom,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's pet. I believe that you are right, an accident is so much worse. I hope you all are doing better today.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm afraid that Kim is having a very hard time with her loss because she is a stay-at-home mom, and her little dog Griffin, was always at her side. And now he's not. It's horrible. At least she didn't find his body, someone else did.

We all (you included) get through these times of tragedy and it is so good to share with other people who feel the same way about their animal buddies because you understand. Thank you and blessings to you.
#21 Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

MrsKey- I am a bit late on this one, but I am so sorry for your loss. I tell myself mine will never die, it will destroy me. Ian is watching over you though. Good luck with the grieving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page