My sick kitty is finally on the mend! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Beginner

I've been blue lately because my sweet buddy, Socks, has been ill. Well, for the last few months he's been acting a little funny. It started very gradually. At first he just didn't feel like playing much. Then he stopped sleeping with the in bed with us. We just figured it was a phase. Then this last month things have really gotten weird. He couldn't seem to help himself, and he would have "accidents" all over the house. We tried changing litter, feeding him in special places, new food, special sprays and lots of trips to the vet. Then he stopped sleeping. The other three cats were doing their usual 20 hours a day worth of naps, and he was running around like a crazy person. The vet tried a couple of different medications and nothing helped. Then he started biting our dog Charlie and trying to bite one of the other cats. So, by last Friday night he's on medicine number 3 and in the middle of the night he had a seizure! The vet immediately switched medicines going in a different direction and guess what, he's back to normal! We have missed enjoying and loving on him so much! The vet says it's epilepsy and I don't care what it's called, I'm just glad to have my Socks back!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

he has epilepsy or did the medication cause the seizure?

i'm glad he's feeling better

but still i'd keep at it until you know for sure what is causing it to make sure he is getting the right treatment and doesn't relapse

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Beginner

According to the vet, he's really sure the medication did not cause it because it was a very low dose, but he says it's something we will have to continue to monitor for some time. I'm just so happy he's acting like himself again!

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Glad to hear your kitty is better. He's a cutie!
#5 Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

that's good then. hope it takes care of it for good

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I started reading your post and my heart just broke for you - but I'm so glad to hear that your kitty is feeling better!

My boyfriend and I have two cats, and my parents have two cats, and I can't imagine what I would do if any of them went through what your little guy Socks went through!

In short, I'm so glad things are doing better.
#7 Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay, that is so great that he is doing better. I have 5 kitties and would just be devastated if something like this had happened to my kids.
#8 Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Beginner

Thank you so much everyone. It's been a real trial, but the medication he's on for the seizures has been such a blessing. My Socks is back! I missed him so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page