What do you feed your cat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM

I've been looking at different foods and I'm thinking of switching to a healthier and more premium brand. I'm curious what everyone else feeds their cats so I can get some suggestions. Also, do you feed wet, dry or both types of food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My cats do very well on "Lick Your Chops" brand kitten and cat food (it's meant for both kittens and adult cats, but there's also an adult-only variety). It's quite difficult to find (I've only seen one store in Ottawa that carries it, and it's a health food store), but maybe it can be ordered online.

We got our cats from my uncle, who had them on Premium Cat Chow before, but one of the cats threw up every week and my uncle thought it was normal! It stopped as soon as he gave the cats to us and we switched their food.

Also, one day we ran out of the food and the health food store was out of stock, and we had to wait for 2 weeks for them to order more. In the meantime, we gave them Wellness "complete health" cat food (available from a mainstream pet food store), which they went absolutely nuts over! They loved it so much that they would throw up after gorging on it . We had to give them 3 small meals a day so they wouldn't overeat!

They like the Lick Your Chops a lot, but not so much that they overeat, so we're going to stick with that one. I highly recommend it! But if you have a cat with more willpower than mine have, I also recommend the Wellness brand.

Sometimes I give them canned Lick Your Chops food, but only as a treat. Right now I'm using the rest of the Wellness bag for treats, because they like it so much.
#3 Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

souls.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

souls.

I also give those to my cats for dessert
#5 Old 04-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Banned

My cats are all different. Two of them eat dried food and wet food. One only eats wet food. The other is very fussy and has some wet food with a lot of chicken and prawns. We find they get bored of food if they have it too often so we buy a different brand every time we go shopping and rotate their food so they don't stop eating.
#6 Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Natural Balance for dry

They're very finicky with their wet food. They were getting fed Fancy Feast and Friskies in their foster home and I can't seem to wean them off FF. I usually mix it with more premium stuff since they won't eat the better wet food alone. I rotate brands - Authority, Wellness, Nutro, Organix, Natural Balance, Avoderm, Merrick, and several others. I pretty much cycle through all the more premium brands since my boys get sick of any one after a while.
#7 Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Natural Balance for dry

They're very finicky with their wet food. They were getting fed Fancy Feast and Friskies in their foster home and I can't seem to wean them off FF. I usually mix it with more premium stuff since they won't eat the better wet food alone. I rotate brands - Authority, Wellness, Nutro, Organix, Natural Balance, Avoderm, Merrick, and several others. I pretty much cycle through all the more premium brands since my boys get sick of any one after a while.

My cat is also in love with Fancy Feast...I really can't figure it out. Nothing makes him happier than their "Cod, Sole & Shrimp" feast.
#8 Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm feeding Pet Promise brand. It's supposed to be "free of factory farmed meat", and is without unnatural additives, antibiotic free, without byproducts, etc. I wanted to feed them either Evenger's or Castor and Pollux Organix because I e-mailed those companies and asked them about their "free range" policies and was told that it was "real free range" not just in name, for whatever that's worth, but ended up settling for Pet Promise due to availability and protein content.

I couldn't even find a canned veggie product for them, not that I'm confident about using one anyway.
#9 Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I feed a decent brand called Maxximum. They like it.
#10 Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I feed my cats one small meal a day and expect them to police the parameter for tasty small animals and bugs (just kidding!).
#11 Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Fancy feast, all of the chicken varieties...it's the only thing that has been keeping the 'kitty barf' at bay. Minimal dry since that causes vomiting for some reason. I went from cleaning up kitty barf every day (four cats) to maybe 1-2 times a week from only two of the kitties now. I'm happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page