Kittens not pooping - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

My brothers cat has been staying with me, she got knocked up (don't get me started on why he won't fix her and why I'm taking care of her kittens) her babies are just over 4 weeks old, we started giving them mush food a few days ago, only one is really interested in it, a couple other munch a bit, but we haven't seen them poopie or noticed any on their blanket. They're healthy happy goofy little babies. I've dealt with litters before, and they were always little poop machines, these ones don't poo and I'm a bit concerned about it. Mommy licks them to help stimulate, but nothing. Could there be something wrong with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

This is kinda gross ((but I've done it a ton of times))...but sometimes you have to stimulate them to poop themselves with a wet q-tip or cotton swab, if mom isn't doing it herself.

If that doesn't work, I'd call the vet, in case there is serious underlying medical issue!!

Good luck!! And tell your brother there are a ton of agencies that will offer low-cost spays/neuters to strays! Friends of Animals and the Spay Neuter Assistance Program are just a few of the many options he has!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

You said that Mom is stimulating it, and sometimes, she might ingest it while stimulating. Is the kitten acting ok?

I also agree, you need to look into a low cost spay program and take her yourself. She needs to get fixed, as do the babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

So they just stopped pooping as soon as you introduced the wet food? Are they still nursing?
#5 Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

We actually found a vet around here that will spay for $42 (males, $32) So I'm going to talk to my brother about taking her there after the babies are 100% weaned. He says it's natural for females to go through heat, so he doesn't want to get her fixed... I keep telling him get her fixed. So maybe if I take her and he pays me back I can talk him into it.

There's 5 kitties, they still nurse but we're trying to get them to mush food. When they were itty bitty we'd find traces of poo on their blankets, but that's it. One of them (the one that eats the most mush-Jynxie) actually made a little poopie today-and in the litter box-yay! A couple more of them started eating more today, so we'll see what happens. I still don't think they're going enough. I'll talk to my bro and see if he wants me to take them to the vet. They all act just fine. They wobble around and play & don't seem to be in any distress.
#6 Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

..about getting her spayed!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#7 Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

We actually found a vet around here that will spay for $42 (males, $32) So I'm going to talk to my brother about taking her there after the babies are 100% weaned. He says it's natural for females to go through heat, so he doesn't want to get her fixed... I keep telling him get her fixed. So maybe if I take her and he pays me back I can talk him into it.

There's 5 kitties, they still nurse but we're trying to get them to mush food. When they were itty bitty we'd find traces of poo on their blankets, but that's it. One of them (the one that eats the most mush-Jynxie) actually made a little poopie today-and in the litter box-yay! A couple more of them started eating more today, so we'll see what happens. I still don't think they're going enough. I'll talk to my bro and see if he wants me to take them to the vet. They all act just fine. They wobble around and play & don't seem to be in any distress.

Seriously? Eat the $42 and just get the cat fixed regardless of what your brother thinks. (Heck, I wouldn't even give the cat back he's so irresponsible with her) Where did this cat even get pregnant? If he let her out, she needs to be tested for FIV/Felv, which if she's got, then the kittens have, and you're going to have one hell of a time finding homes for sick kittens.

Sorry, can't stand people who are so irresponsible with their animals

(and yes, I realize it's your brother and not you, doesn't make me happier about it)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto to what Rabid_child said.

I mean this kitten has gotten pregnant and now you are raising the babies. I would eat the $42 and fix her.
#9 Old 04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto to what those guys said about fixing her.

Regarding the kitten constipation, we raised an abandoned kitten from the time she was 2 days old. (We trapped the mother, who was a feral neighborhood cat, and had her fixed by the way.) At one point she became constipated and the vet told us to give her a few drops of milk of magnesia. That did the trick! I would ask your vet about it though.
#10 Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM

this can be very toxic to the cat...i would do a couple drops of milk of magnesia, and maybe even a baby formula for the cat that the vet would approve.
#11 Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Update- The kitties are pooping now. As far as we know all of them are, 2 of them are hard to tell apart though. I don't know what took them so long. Me & my bf have been checking to make sure there's no blood or anything abnormal looking, and so far so good. I'll still see what the vet has to say. I'm taking my dog in today, so I'll ask her then. The good thing is they use their litter box, so we're very happy about that.

I told my brother I found a place that spays for cheap (Our usual vet charges $100) and said I'd take her, and he said "Oh yeah? That's cool.". Once I find out how long after a cat gives birth that it's o.k. to fix them I'll get her an appointment.
#12 Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

You should be able to fix her after the kittens are weaned. I would take Mama in when I take the kittens in and have them all fixed at the same time.
#13 Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the pic works-? If so, these are 3 of the little bleeps enjoying the sunshine.
#14 Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 AM

At 4 weeks of age they should be pooping more, and mom not ingesting it...if you're still not seeing it, talk to your vet as constipation can lead to worse things. I'm happy on the spay though- $42 is NOTHING! It can go alot higher for a mature cat who may possibly be in heat by the time you bring her in. Go for it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page