Cause of cat skin irritation -? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my cats has in the past few days had skin irritation. I first noticed it Monday, above her right eye there was a small patch of little scabs that were slightly red. I assumed she probably hurt herself while she was playing & have kept an eye on it. This morning my boyfriend and I noticed that the patch has turned a gray color-AND she has a small patch that looks just the same on the tip of her left ear. Then a couple hours ago my boyfriend noticed a "wound" on her side (it looks basically like when a kid skins their knee), it's really red, it's obviously fresh, it wasn't there earlier today.

I looked up some stuff online the past couple hours, but found nothing helpful. Our cat turns 1 in May, any other cat she's been around has not had anything like this, she is in a new inviorment (she's staying at my brothers place w/us), however we haven't concluded that that could a factor (No exposure to anything out of the ordinary) She hasn't been acting any differently, she hasn't been biting/scratching the areas. It's like it appeared out of nowhere & I'm wondering what it could be. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds like it might be hot spots. could be mites or even flea bite allergy (they only have to get bitten by them once and then they go nuts), like what my cat has. bailey licks/scratches himself raw and i have to get him cortisone shots regularly along with pills.
#3 Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

My cat gets that. Exact same symptoms. With her it is flea allergy but, as jenna says, it could be a few things.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like hot spots, my mom rubbed olive oil on them, til they went away and they haven't been a problem again. My cats got them bad for some reason, thisone time and we figured out what they were online.
#5 Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Cats aren't really prone to hotspots as much as dogs are...perhaps your cat has allergies? Eosinophilic granuloma is common in cats...they get nasty itchy plaques on themselves that they scratch the hell outta til they bleed...often prone to ear infections (caused by yeast).

Just throwing that out there...I fostered a cat with that condition. She did great on a low-allergen diet and occasional steroid injections.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#6 Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to update, it turns out it's ringworm. We've been using tinactin (sp) on it and its been showing signs of improvement. My boyfriend has it now, too. Everyone she's been exposed to knows she has it, so we've all been careful & hopefully it won't spread any more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page