Can anybody relate to this? (Feeling bad for boarding dog) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

as some may already know from reading my other post, my dog is now in a boarding kennel. I will probably be picking her up later today.

I just feel kind of bad because in a way I do not want to pick her up. I am having a nice time enjoying my freedom and not having to worry about what I am going to feed her (figuring out the most ethical option)and taking her for walks, etc.. i feel so bad that I feel this way but I can not deny my feelings. Since I treat her like my own baby and spoil her I put alot of work on myself when it comes to her.

Can anybody on here relate to this? I hope that this does not mean that I do not love her as much as I thought but I have to admit it is nice to just be responsible for only me again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you're ok and I'm sure you love your dog. All of us are a little bit lazy though, and it's nice to get a break from responsibilities. Dogs can be a lot of work!

I've felt this way when I've gone on vacation, and trust me, I adore all the animals. We call them our babies, we call to check up on them when we're away, but it's nice not to have to feed them, pick up poop, worry about whos not in the room with us and what are they up to.

I've even felt this way about my boyfriend before. I enjoy Mondays when he's not home from school until late, I cook whatever I want, read a book, dance around the house to music he doesn't like, sometimes when he comes home early, I kinda wish he hadn't.

Of course I only feel that way because it's a short period of time, I know they are ok, and will be back soon. Coming home from work gets depressing without the enthusiastic greetings of 70 lb dogs, the ferrets jumping up and down in their cage, and a kiss from my bf.

So it's ok to enjoy a break, don't feel bad. I'm sure when you see your girl again, you will remember that all the work is worth it.

If you don't... well than maybe you are just putting too much stress on yourself as a dog owner. Food and walks are important, but she doesn't expect you to be perfect, and as long as she is healthy and happy, try not to worry too much. It is fun to have animals around!
#3 Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Vegan Police Officer

There are loads of mothers of children who wish their kids would stay at camp for a few weeks longer so they can relax some more!

But I bet you when you pick up your furry friend, you will be overjoyed to see him again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I think your feelings are honest. It's probably one of the reasons I don't have a dog. Plus the 12 hour shifts I work.

With my cats, I can stay in bed all day if I don't feel good and don't have to worry. They just use the litter box.

I'm sure too you love your dog but I can understand pets can be a bit of a ball and chain at times but I would not live without them.
#5 Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I get really busy with school or whatever, my dogs go to visit "gramma". They often stay overnight. It's nice to have a break.
#6 Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Noooo you are normal! Do you know how often I hear this from friend's about their own flesh children!? lol Dogs/kids are A LOT of work, breaks are NICE.
#7 Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

This is one of the things I like about cats. They're so easy to take care of compared to dogs XD But I love the doggies too <3
#8 Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Also the reason I'm a cat owner. I like dogs, but I don't like the dog lifestyle. I'm sure you'll be so happy to see your pup again, and if you did go a few days at home without her you'd get pretty lonely.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Just be glad it's not a kid. It'd be even harder for you to get a break!

I have an extra dog at my house M-F and while I love him like my own, it's nice on weekends not to worry about him because he is more work than my own dogs. But by Monday morning, I'm ready to have him back again.
#10 Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I love taking my dogs on vacation with me, but I definitely love getting breaks from them too. Especially breaks from my foster dogs. We even pay someone to house sit for us every once in a while just so we can get a hotel room or go somewhere else away from the dogs every now and then.
#11 Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I travel with my dogs whenever possible, but three+ times a years I have to travel for work...and without my dogs. I have to board them...I cry...and call every day to check on them. I WORRY so much because one has bed panic attacks, and the other is aggressive. I fear the day one bites a caretaker, or the other breaks his leg during a panic.

But, I have to do it. No way around.

When I recently went to visit my parents in another state, they suggested that I board my dogs "so I won't have to worry about them." I CRIED so hard...how could they suggest such a thing when they KNOW how stressfull it is to board them to begin with??? Anyways, I DID bring them with me.

They offered to pay for the boarding thinking cost was the issue...when in fact, I can fly for free on my airlines...but I'd rather spend $400 on a rental car, than the $150 for boarding.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#12 Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for all the responses. It is great to know that I am not alone in my feelings and that other ppl who care about animals feel the same way as well from time to time.

I just got her back yesterday and I am glad to have her back as many have suggested would probably be the case. She seems like she may appreciate me more now too. They said she did really well. She may have even dropped a pound or two, which she definetly needed to do.

Thanks again for the support. i feel alot better now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page